FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Hollywood Stock Exchange Challenge!!! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Hollywood Stock Exchange Challenge!!!
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
They have just started adding the chance to buy California Gubinatorial Candidates.

I have 10000 shares of Arnold

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
I've made my $54 million buy buying movies in development and then having them move to the Theatre....

I've never done the short, call and cover stuff, but I'm interested in trying it.

Anyone want to give me a lesson?

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I had totally been slacking on this, and I'm still at 5 million. One million more than the last time I had checked.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Shorting is basically betting that a movie is overpriced and will drop, such as a box office bomb (Gigli, for one, made money for me by shorting it). You 'cover' when you want to cash out your short. Calls and puts are basically bets like the above, but for the opening weekend. You 'call' when you think a movie will make it's target price (Gigli's was $10 million, to continue the example). You use the 'put' when you think it will come in below that.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

The calls and puts are risky, also. If you buy a call, and the movie doesn't hit the price set, you lose all the money you put in. So, you can make some big money sometimes, but at greater potential cost.

Oh, and blockbuster warrants work like calls, but for the whole run of the movie.

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, haven't looked for a while, and I had been planning to do some fancy footwork as well.

Ouch, lost some pretty hefty money (around $100,000) on American Wedding (I had been hoping to sell on the high, then short).

I'm still number 2 after T, so I feel decent enough.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
Pirates is making me a ton! Loved that movie [Big Grin]

I'm now around 2.5 million, haven't checked it yet today. I'm just happy I got back above 2 [Smile]

Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Ha ha ha! I finally pulled ahead of the great T_Smith! Eat that!
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Hmmm.. I should pay attention to that, shouldn't I?
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

DEATH TO JON BOY AND LEONIDE!!!
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to pull this up cause I just passed Fugu. hahaha
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Fugu hasn't looked at his stocks in 3 months [Smile] .
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
DEATH TO EVERYONE.

YOU MAY NOW COMMENCE KISSING MY FEET.

AND WHILE YOU'RE DOWN THERE, I DEMAND A PEDICURE.

[ROFL] [ROFL] [The Wave] [The Wave]

[ December 03, 2003, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: Leonide ]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm
Member # 4653

- posted      Profile for Sarcasm           Edit/Delete Post 
You'll get your comeuppance soon enough, Leonide. [Mad]
Posts: 276 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

Damn. I bet on the wrong horse with Runaway Jury. And what's up with Ender's Game??
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Holy flarking heck, T, what did you invest in to earn you 800,000 over the weekend? Or did you just get another group of people to sign up?
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

::goes off to look::

I have no clue, yet.

Edited to add:

::laughs butt off::

50,000 shares of Cheaper By The Dozen.

Who'da thought? Also, my Orlando Bloom and Tim Burton have helped with 2,000 dollars today. I'm up to 7 million now.

[ December 29, 2003, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: T_Smith ]

pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I just joined, username yourprecious.

Ha-HAH, Colin. I pwns j00 now.

*maniacal laughter*

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

*bump*

Seven months is up. I'm $520,000 ahead of T. Where's my reward?

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Hello? Reward, please.
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
You have a tribute thread, what more do you want? [Razz]
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

A reward, silly!
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Wow. That was disappointing.
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the HSX tip of the day: Simpsons!

Also it appears EG is finally on the way up... if only we can count on HSX as an accurate predictor of its release.

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Bump.

I logged in today. This is a fun site. Play, have fun.

TheTick
Member # 2883

I check in periodically, but I haven't changed anything in ages.
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, cool, I dobied this thread once.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

Anyone want an invite? [Evil Laugh]

Not only would I get a boost of much needed fundage, I bet Ender's Game stock would rise if we get more Jatraqueros involved! [Big Grin]

Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
I just bought 1000 shares of Ender's Game. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

What's your username? I'll add you to my league screen. I got into EG at under $3. 50,000 shares. [Big Grin]
Derrell
Member # 6062

My user name is IamDerrell. Type it in just the way I typed it.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

Has anyone bought stock in the movie Robots ? I'm wondering if it's a good investment [Dont Know]
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say yes, it is a good investment, since the next Star Wars trailer will be with it, and there's an outside chance a Harry Potter one will also. SW alone will increase ticket sales (not knowing the game, I assume that's what "a good investment" would need), but the double whammy would be insane.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.