FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Religions v Cults (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Religions v Cults
Jeffrey Getzin
Member # 1972

- posted      Profile for Jeffrey Getzin           Edit/Delete Post 
Amka, thanks. [Smile]

Jeff

Posts: 1692 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caleb Varns
Member # 946

- posted      Profile for Caleb Varns   Email Caleb Varns         Edit/Delete Post 
Hatrack is obviously a cult.
Posts: 1307 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
Complete with it's own smilie language!
[Hail] [Hail] HATRACK

Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Right. Send me your money.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
[Angst] I feel this overpowering urge to send katharina some money [Angst]

...and use smilies in creative ways...

Help me! [Eek!]

I've been brainwashed! They've gotten to me!

[Hail] [Evil Laugh]

Noooooooooooooo! *breath* Noooooooooooo!
[Cry] [Cry]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caleb Varns
Member # 946

- posted      Profile for Caleb Varns   Email Caleb Varns         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's do the time warp,

[The Wave]

...yeah.....

Let's do the time warp,

[The Wave]

...yeah.....

<pause>

[Party]

Posts: 1307 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Yay! *clears off desk in anticipation*

Each and every one of you will recieve a personalized thank-you note, and a signed 81/2" x 11" of me.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
*sends katharina a canadian nickel*

Starts doing the Mac.. *ahem* Katharena.

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

*is scrawling "I send my devotion to one hot Jatrequera. Keep shaking! Love, Kat" on picture for Amka*
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
CT:
quote:
I've found M. Scott Peck to be a little scary, myself. If I remember correctly, not only did he advocate kidnapping people for deprogramming, but in one of his books, he stated that he'd sleep with a client if he thought it would be psychologically helpful to her.
I don't remember the 'kidnapping people for deprogramming' reference, but I do very clearly remember him talking about how he'd sleep with a client if he thought it would be psychologically helpful for her. It was limited, though, by saying that he couldn't imagine a scenario where that would be the case. I got the impression from the passage that he couldn't imagine it, but since he hadn't treated every woman in the world, he was willing to postulate that it was possible that such a case could conceivably exist. That caveat made it possible for me not to completely flip. I assume the reason for the deprogramming comment, if it was in one of his books, was a product of the times. I remember a real trend of commentary on kidnapping for cult deprogramming in the late 70s, early 80s. But perhaps I'm too much a Peck apologist. [Smile]

I like his books, though I'll admit that his books on community building are real snoozers. I liked the one he did on euthanasia. It was very thought provoking.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asQmh
Member # 4590

- posted      Profile for asQmh   Email asQmh         Edit/Delete Post 
I know cults - I'm a mac user.

All joking aside, though, "cult" is usually only properly used in a sociological sense. Often the people using the term perjoratively don't understand it and therefore fling it at anyone they consider "unorthodox." This is why a large number of evangelicals include your typical protestants and exclude Christian Scientists, LDS, Jehovah's Witnesses, etc.

In reality, there are cults within various "accepted" faiths. And all ritual is cult. There's the cult of Mary (or insert other saint as desired) in Catholicism - followers show greater than average dedication/devotion to those precepts or articles.

"Cult" when used properly has to do with worship. Anything having to do with a system of beliefs or religion in general is cult.

Cult is often used when many people mean "occult," therefore meaning paganism, wiccan, etc.

This is just a jumble of thoughts - I'm a little distracted - but I hope the meaning comes through. Many people use "cult" as an insult or scare tool. "They're bad; they're a cult" because they don't understand what they're talking about.

Those are my $0.02, anyhow.

Q.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
All joking aside, though, "cult" is usually only properly used in a sociological sense.
It's also often used properly in an anthropological sense.
quote:
Anything having to do with a system of beliefs or religion in general is cult.
This is not technically correct. Cult does not mean anything having to do with a system of beliefs or religion. Cult specifically refers to the ritual and/or practice of a religion or system of belief.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asQmh
Member # 4590

- posted      Profile for asQmh   Email asQmh         Edit/Delete Post 
Which is more specifically what I meant. I think that comes through in the post itself, but I should have been more exact. I was in a little bit of a rush when I posted.

Q.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
(sends her two cents to katharina)

(waits)

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I'm sorry Ryuko, I need at least a quarter. Your two cents, will, however go towards the Antarctic picnic. I believe we may buy 1/8 teaspoon of butter.

Good start, though! Try again!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.