FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Too many Alucards

Author Topic: Too many Alucards
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I play Everquest.
I am in a guild.
Recently someone in that guild wanted people to E-Mail them about an upcoming event.

The E-mail was for Alucardkill@someplace I won't say.

Either this is a great coincidence: Alucard and I share a guild in a game all unknowingly.

Or someone is stalking our Alucard. (ie, the Kill part)

Or Alucard is a character that a lot of people know of, from a book/tv series/movie I am unfamiliar with.

Anyway, the Alucardkill I emailed too never responded to "Chiapehtz" (my game name)'s e-mail so let me ask this Alucard.

Are you just you or are you this other you too or is this other you your arch nemisis, or is their something I should read/see that will tell me who else Alucard is.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe Alucard is a character from one of the Castlevania games. It's Dracula spelled backwards. So pretty common, I think.
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
so dan is playing a game with "llik dracula"?

lick dracula someplace you won't say?!?

hmm...

[ August 04, 2003, 03:27 PM: Message edited by: celia60 ]

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AndrewR
Member # 619

- posted      Profile for AndrewR   Email AndrewR         Edit/Delete Post 
I bet Alucard is a fairly common name. I recall it from an old horror movie..ah, here it is..."Son of Dracula" with Lon Chaney, Jr. playing Count Alucard. 1942.

It's a old joke. [Evil Laugh]

[ August 04, 2003, 03:29 PM: Message edited by: AndrewR ]

Posts: 2473 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew I wasn't dyslexic enough for this group.

It was the Card part of Alucard that was throwing me off.

Hmm, if Alucard is Dracula backwords, then Orson Scott Card is Dracttocs Nosro.

Dracyer Ffeog? Scarey.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AndrewR
Member # 619

- posted      Profile for AndrewR   Email AndrewR         Edit/Delete Post 
"Dracttocs Nosro!" Wait a minute. Isn't that the villian in the latest Harry Potter book?? [Eek!] [Wink]
Posts: 2473 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Hiya Dan, which server? Cazic-Thule for me.
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Alucard is also a character in Hellsing, a vampirey anime.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
Alucard is my old screenname for games I used to play online.

Unfortuneately, the Alucard on Everquest is not me.

Yes Alucard was taken from the Castlevania series of games and is also a character in Hellsing, the anime series. [Smile]

However, the old horror movie reference is news to me. [Eek!]

Not to sound ornery, dan, but I assumed that many Hatrackers would be thrown off by the card in Alucard. That's why I chose it. As far as OSC backwards, that name sounds eerily sinsister! [Evil]

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
I see you underestimated the level of geekitude here. That's OK, though. No one expects the Hatrack Geek Club.

Our chief weapon is surprise. Surprise and fear. Fear and surprise...

Our two weapons are fear and surprise. And ruthless efficiency...

Our three weapons are fear, surprise and ruthless efficiency and an almost fanatical devotion to OSC...

Our four weapons are... no... Amongst our weaponry are such elements as fear, surprise...

Oh, bugger.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man. I'm remembering now that Alucard and I were new at about the same time, back when the Discussions about OSC was all I could handle. My view of him has changed so radically since then. [Hail] Alucard.
Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Draetakenna
Member # 4609

- posted      Profile for Draetakenna   Email Draetakenna         Edit/Delete Post 
Using backwards names? Wow, that's lame! [Wink]
Posts: 9 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh, bugger.
You should come in again.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
*eyebrows raised
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
[angrily hurling away the cushions]: Hm! She is made of harder stuff! Cardinal Fang! Fetch...THE COMFY CHAIR!
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny, I've seen the name Alucard on a couple of word game sites recently, too (the last few days). I see EWiggin or variations show up a lot, as well, and a lot of the young boggle punks use "the enemy's gate is down" as their signature/finger notes/whathaveyou. I think I'm stream-of-consciousness musing now.
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, for a second I thought that AndrewR was back.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Funny, I've seen the name Alucard on a couple of word game sites recently, too."

Alucard is a remarkably popular name among geeks of a certain stripe.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
Must be my kind of stripe. I guess I hadn't noticed until recently!
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I realized that Alucard was reverse-Dracula when our Alucard posted a thread with a title that had something about being named "tsicamrahp". All of a sudden it clicked for me and I had the complete "duh" moment... kind of like when I realized that kwsni was an acronym for "knights who say Ni!"
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Alucard is the half-human, half-vampire (dhampir?) hero of "Castevania: Symphony of the Night". That's where I first heard the name, anyway. And, as others have mentioned, the name is simply "Dracula" backward and predates the Castlevania series by quite a long time.

Dracttocs Nosro would be a good name for a sinister mystic who can change his appearance to that of a small boy named "Gregory", who then uses that form to lure people away from the crowd with stories of his poor sister who has hurt herself, then leads the good-hearted people who try to help far away into a secluded location, then changes back to his real form and imprisons the people to use their life-force to power his fortune-telling ability, using it to see into the future to make himself wealthy by only making good investments, while meanwhile the drained-but-still-slightly-alive husks of the people are tossed into an oubliette to rot away, with barely enough strength left to crawl, let alone scream for help.

That, or a chocolate-flavored soda drink.

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
My witch name is Srojam Nagrom Ekenna. Pretty freaky and witchy, doncha think?
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Just because I want to see it typed out:

Atnaf Yanaj Neeruam.

Stupid Neeruam. That name has haunted me since elementary school. You remember in school when all your friends are figuring out what their names are backwards and laughing about how cool it sounds? Well, I was very disappointed to find out that my name backwards is pronounced Neer Rom. I never liked that at all.

But Atnaf Yanaj is cool. Actually, my whole name has a kind of Indian feeling to it, when spelled backwards. Or maybe Middle Eastern. Something cool and foreign.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
My full name spelled backwards would be: Uscelucnats Noi Udar. But then again my full name spelled right might also seem strange to you! [Big Grin]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Ion is a rockin' middle name. :-D
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

It just means John and it was given to me in honour of my parental grandfather who died before I was born. My maternal grandfather's name is also Ion, so I think he isn't unhappy with that either! [Big Grin] And by the way, in Romanian it's pronounced in one syllable but it also has the meaning that it has in English besides being a name.
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine is execrable: Mot Nosdivad.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

I don't know Tom, "Nosdivad" sounds really cool, like a Slavic name or something. "Mot" on the other hand... [ROFL] Sorry... [Embarrassed]
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

I think you should pronounce it eye-on and become a rock star. I'm so jealous.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Actually, I was also thinking that it sounded like Do Svidanya.
Corwin
Member # 5705

PSI, thanks, I never considered my middle name cool, with all the "Ion"s in Romania. That's until now! [Big Grin] Sadly, if I ever become a rock star, I'll have to change or ditch my other two names, 'cause there aren't many non-Romanians who pronounce them right... And we have such simple pronounciation rules!!! :shake's head:
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
Niavlys Naej Uaellorg
[Roll Eyes]

No, thanks. I prefer my real name !

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Kooraf Nothsa Mairim Anayra Eirual. That took just way way way too much brain power. Next question. Could I do hubbies without getting an aneurism?

Kooraf Demha Mihaf Demmahom Mila Hilasuba. Maybe? Or something like that, anyway. But then, even if I wrote it the front way, it would still confuse you guys.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

Except for Abusalih I'm familiar with all the other names, so at least I wouldn't be confused! [Big Grin]
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Corwin, I'm impressed!

Okay, I was familiar with all of them except Abusalih before we were married, too, and I didn't find out how Abusalih was pronounced until we were signing our marriage registration papers, and it took me another two months after that before I could remember all his names . . . But I have a terrible memory. [Dont Know]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

Well, there are a lot of Morrocan students here in Lyon, so you hear lots of names like that. Not in that quantity for ONE person though! [Big Grin]
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
They all seem like pretty standard Arabic names to me. Aside from "Abusalih", there's nothing in there I hadn't heard before. And given what little I know of the Arabic/Islamic naming conventions, even that one's not exactly surprising.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.