FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My phone company operates in an alternate reality

Author Topic: My phone company operates in an alternate reality
Sho'nuff
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for Sho'nuff   Email Sho'nuff         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a really amusing article about dealing with the phone company.

http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/comment-stockler071103.asp

quote:
The Verizon customer service rep, sweet as a scoop of ice cream, gently disagreed. I had not paid the current bill, the rep explained. I had, in fact, paid the old bill.

But the date on the bill I just paid was for the month that hasn't even ended yet, I said. That's right, the Verizon rep cheerfully agreed. That's the old bill.

How could the bill for the present time be the old bill? I said. Then what on Earth comprised the eight pages of my current bill? Behavioral predictions from psychic hotlines?

The current bill is for the month going forward, the wireless rep said. The billing cycle that would start in three days.

Let me get this straight, I said: The bill from last month, up to and including the present day, and including the next three days, is the old bill. And the current bill, which is now overdue, is for the month not yet begun.

That's right, Verizon said.

So the calls I am making now exist in the past, at least the past as manifested in the universe of your billing department, I said. And the service I will have, beginning in three days, and ending more than a month from now, is my current service, in this alternate universe. And the current bill, for this theoretical service, is now past due.

and it get's funnier. [Big Grin]
Posts: 251 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
qsysue
Member # 5229

- posted      Profile for qsysue   Email qsysue         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha, that is funny. I like this guy's style!
Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew a guy who had verison. I figure out why that guy in the commercials is always walking around saying, "Can you hear me now?" It's because the reception is so crappy on the other end, that's pretty much all they can say. I got sick of it and when this guy would call, I'd tell him to call back on a landline. Not that he was calling for me. He's a friend of my husbands. I'm just obnoxious.

[ August 19, 2003, 10:44 AM: Message edited by: Kayla ]

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sho'nuff
Member # 3214

Kayla, that's interesting because Verizon has the best service/reception out there. I've had both Voicestream and AT&T after Verizon, and both of them pale in comparison.
Posts: 251 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Strider, we got cell phones from Verizon with the intent to do away with long distance on our landline. We got our brand new Verizon phones home and realized that reception at our house was lousy.

It all depends on who's got towers where.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sho'nuff
Member # 3214

true, if you are anywhere in the North East Verizon is infinitely better than any other service.

My voicestream used to literaly drop 50% of my calls sometime during the conversation. And there were only 3 spots in my apartment that i could stand and talk, without moving. otherwise i had to go outside.

[ August 19, 2003, 11:10 AM: Message edited by: Sho'nuff ]

eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
It's true then. The phone company has broken the laws of physics!

Where's a time cop when you need one...?

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a funny story, Sho'nuff (Strider?) Charter, my cable ISP, is almost that bad-- I pay on the 30th for a month's service that starts on the 22nd. But what really infuriates me about Charter internet is they charge a completely unadvertised fee: a "HSD access" fee of $10 per month. Near as I can tell, this is a penalty fee because I don't have cable TV.
Whatever. [Grumble] [Grumble]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.