FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I've got a punctuation/usage question!

Author Topic: I've got a punctuation/usage question!
Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm helping my boss edit a flier she's sending out, and I need to know if there should be a comma before the abbreviation "etc." here:

"such as holding hands, staying with the group etc."

and also here:

"knives, poisonous substances etc."

(It's a flier about safety tips, just so you don't get too worried. [Smile] )

Thanks!

Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you should use a comma.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

And another one that I think is inappropriatly punctuated:

"you watch the children closely, it is the best way to avoid accidents."

Should that comma perhaps be a colon, or maybe a semicolon? I always had trouble with those.

Thanks again!

Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, there should be a comma. Etc. stands for "et cetera." "Et" means "and," so there should be a comma before the and in a series.

Actually, though, grr, now I think it is also proper usage NOT to put a comma beofer the "and" in a series, so it might be OK.

If that isn't an ambiguous answer, i don't know what is, but it is my two cents.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Editor-in-Chief
Member # 5014

- posted      Profile for The Editor-in-Chief   Email The Editor-in-Chief         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, you do need a comma.
Posts: 100 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely use the comma. The etc. acts as the final member of the list:

"such as holding, staying with the group, [and other similar things/activities]."

etc. stands for the "and other similar things/activities."

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

Great. I was pretty sure about that one, but it's wonderful to have confirmation.

What about the second one? [Confused]

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, you would need a comma.

I don't like the phrase "et cetera", though. If there are other activities that the audience would know, then say "the person performed the [comforting?] activities." If the audience doesn't know them, then the phrase "et cetera" doesn't lend any new information.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Boy, attracted grammar geeks like moths to a flame, didn't it? [Big Grin]
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd add either "as" or "since" after the comma in the second one, but that's me. Assuming surrounding context, it's definitely a comma splice, and should be changed.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
"you watch the children closely, it is the best way to avoid accidents."

Is there something before "you watch"? It seems a little weird to start a sentence that way.

You should not use a comma, because you have two independent clauses. You can use a period, a semi-colon, or add a conjunction like "because".

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

The second one should most properly have a semi-colon in between the two clauses, as in:

"You watch the children closely; it is the best way to avoid accidents."

You could put a colon in there and not be incorrect (I think), but it might even be clearer to combine the two clauses:

Watching children closely is the best way to avoid accidents.

Thus, you avoid the pitfalls of the second-person you AND any possible punctuation slips. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Megan,
I am pretty sure it is accepted use now, certainly not in my day, to leave out the "pre-and" comma.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Editor-in-Chief
Member # 5014

- posted      Profile for The Editor-in-Chief   Email The Editor-in-Chief         Edit/Delete Post 
Katharina's got a good point. The use of "etc." is generally frowned upon because it's a virtually useless word. I prefer omitting it whenever possible, though if you really want to keep it, you might consider changing it to something like "and so on," though that's still a pretty useless filler phrase.
Posts: 100 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Elizabeth, I think you're right, actually, but I was always taught that the last comma made for clearer writing. So, it wouldn't be incorrect to leave the comma out; it would just be clearer to leave it in. That's completely a matter of opinion, though.
Vána
Member # 3262

Katharina, they're in a list of tips, and we don't have much room. The first one was in a tip about teaching children safety rules and the second was examples of dangerous items that need to be locked away. They're being sent to a specific audience, and our phone number is on the flier in case of questions. I think it'll be alright, and is probably the best solution given the circumstances (it's kind of a liability thing - we want to specify that there are, in fact, other dangerous items and other safety rules, but we can't list them all).

Ludosti, the beginning of the list is "If you're caring for children in your home, be sure:".

Papa Moose, I think putting "as" in there might be an effective solution. Thanks!

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
You watch the children closely.
It is the best way to avoid accidents.

These are two different sentences, though I agree the first is a bit awkward.

A better solution, "The best way to avoid accidents is to watch the children closely."

If you want that "you" there for emphasizing who should be watching the children, try this.
"The best way to avoid accidents is if you watch the children closely"

or
"Watching the children closely is the best way you can avoid accidents."

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Editor-in-Chief
Member # 5014

In AP (Associated Press) style, the final serial comma is omitted. I really don't know why. In other style guides (notably, Chicago), the final serial comma is always included to prevent ambiguity or misreading.

And yes, that second example is incorrect. Like everyone else said, it needs stronger punctuation (a semicolon, colon, or dash would work) or a conjunction. Rewriting it to make it one clause works quite nicely.

Vána
Member # 3262

Yeah, it's not a good sentence, but it's not supposed to be a full sentence. The full sentence is "If you're caring for children in your home, be sure:" and then the rest of the items follow, with bullets in front of each.

I don't like making lists that way, but I'm just editing, not writing it. [Dont Know]

The Editor-in-Chief
Member # 5014

I think this is what I'd do:
quote:
If you're caring for children in your home, be sure
  • you watch the children closely—it is the best way to avoid accidents

Using a conjunction like "as" or "since" instead of the dash would work just as well. And you don't need the colon after "sure."

[ August 19, 2003, 01:07 PM: Message edited by: The Editor-in-Chief ]

Vána
Member # 3262

I'm off to lunch now. Thanks for all the help! I may well be back with more questions later (I've got more fliers to edit!).
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Thank you, Editor in Chief. I still cringe when I see no comma before the end. My eighth grade English teacher had a lasting effect on me. My ninth grade English teacher thought of Strunk and White as the other two members of the Trinity.
The Editor-in-Chief
Member # 5014

[ROFL]

Beautiful! We could start a religion. Or at least a cult.

celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
didn't that already fail once for you?
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
This is a great example of the wonderfulness of Hatrack denizens. In the space of ten minutes eighteen helpful Hatrackers gave detailed, helpful responses (I am not counting mine, it was not. I also feel a bit rusty when it comes to grammar.).

Hatrack Rocks!

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Hatrack completely rocks. Hatrack's my secret weapon, my ace-in-the-hole, my access to a private think tank, and, most often in CT's wonderful words, my tribe. It's nice. Thanks. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Editor-in-Chief
Member # 5014

Must you point out my every flaw, celia?
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't that her job?
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh. Right.

Carry on, then.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
oh, please. like i have the time to point out every flaw.
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, there are quite a lot of them. But at least you'll point out the major ones, right?
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.