FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Woe is to the tabletop gamer!

Author Topic: Woe is to the tabletop gamer!
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Is anyone else on the forum a tabletop gamer? I seem to remember a bunch of people saying that they play, but I may be making things up.

Anyway, I used to be really into tabletop wargaming. I have a large Warhammer 40k army, and I used to play almost every weekend with a freind of mine. I still play tabletop games, but I don't play 40k anymore because it's too expensive for what I get.
For instance, boxed sets of 15-20 minis are $30 bucks or more! The minis are fairly high quality, but c'mon, they're plastic! I can get high-quality metal minis for a dollar each.

Anyway, a freind of mine has gotten me really excited about a new game on the market. It's based off of a Dungeons and Dragons steampunk-ish setting. The game is called Warmachine and it's from Privateer Press. The more I read the more excited I get about it.

The concept is that you play a battle mage--a Warcaster--that controls a group of magically-animated, steam-powered walking monstrosities called warjacks. The basic force consists of a warcaster and two or three 'jacks.

It's 35mm scale, so the minis are big and detailed which compliments the beautiful miniature design. The rules system is superior to the Warhammer ruleset, and superior to most other rulesets I've seen. It looks fast-playing and has crystal-clear rules. The miniatures--most of the warjacks are the size of 40k dreadnaughts--sell for about $10 a piece. The boxed set of a warcaster and a few warjacks, goes for $40. Each boxed set comes with almost a pound of metal. Beautiful.

Enough ranting, check out the site: www.ikwarmachine.com

[ August 20, 2003, 02:36 AM: Message edited by: WheatPuppet ]

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I fwded the link to my bf, Steve, who loves gaming. I know he likes Warhammer and
Mechwarrior and Cyberpunk. So, he'll probably be interested even if I did find out about it at Hatrack.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoffrey Card
Member # 1062

- posted      Profile for Geoffrey Card   Email Geoffrey Card         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a tabletop gamer, but of the RPG variety. Roleplaying games are always vastly superior in person, but I've found that computers do a pretty good job of making wargames work, so I haven't been won away to tabletop in that arena ...
Posts: 2048 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Cool. I'll go check it out.

I also play those STUPID collectable card games, but not the really popular ones. I currently have decks for 7th Sea, Jihad (Vampire), Galactic Empires, and Mythos.

I've been thinking of pushing lead (or cardboard) again for some time. I also had this strange urge to Roleplay the other day. The last time I did that, it was the Arduin Grimoire that was shiny and new. Do you think this forum has anything to do with my nostalgia? [Dont Know]

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
eslaine, where do you live again? Tom and I have been looking for 7th Sea gamers! Tom also plays Jihad, but can't convince anyone else to play. He's been collecting since the beginning and I think he has the whole Jihad set.

I forget the new one we started collecting, but the trouble is, we just don't know many ccg players...

Of course, I'm still on the lookout for Fairy Meat gamers, too [Evil]

Right now we've downgraded to Chez Geek, though. What a fun game!

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

Ouch. I'm in Nothern CA. Wish we could match decks! We (my group of friends) were saddened by the decision to stop printing Seventh Sea. This became especially true after viewing Pirates of the Carribean!

Still, there's some good stuff out there. Perhaps in better economic times, travel will be an available option again, but right now...

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I only play D&D...

Anyone read Dork Tower?

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

No. Is that a parody? [Dont Know]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.