FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Yet another question about LDS

Author Topic: Yet another question about LDS
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"My master sees more than that, said Eliezer, chuckling. "He knows the names of the stars, including the one closest to where God dwells."

"God lives on a star?"

"Near a star. The stars are suns, like the great fire in our sky, only very far away. And they have worlds around them also. God made them all."

- Rebekah by Orson Scott Card

This is the second time I've read this, that Mormons believe that God lives on a world revolving another star. The first time was in a *cringe* Jack Chick tract on Mormonism. I've looked for any mention of this on the official Mormon site, and I can't find it. Is this just something that is believed by some Mormons and not others, is it just not important enough to get on the official site? And what specifically is this belief, seeing as I've only seen hints of it?

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
The belief comes from a dialogue between God and Abraham in Abraham chapter 3.

Mormons believe God to be a physical, not just a spiritual, being so he must be living somewhere. As to exactly where that is, this chapter from Abraham is about as close as we ever get to having an answer.

For me, it makes sense that God lives on a planet somewhere, but it is of marginal significance. Meaning that if I die and find out he doesn't live on a planet, it's not going to be terribly distressing to me. [Smile]

[ August 20, 2003, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
First, Mormons believe that God has a tangible, physical body, so he must have an actual location rather than being literally omnipresent.

As for where that location is, LDS scripture does contain a reference to a star (called Kolob) that is closest to where God lives. However, there are other ways to read this passage. I think I saw a post wherein Geoff Card mentioned one of them, but there are others. The most common interpretation, however, is that Kolob is an actual star someplace, and that God lives on a planet nearby.

UofUlawguy

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The most common interpretation, however, is that Kolob is an actual star someplace, and that God lives on a planet nearby.
I've never heard it put that way, so there isn't an "official" interpretation.

Well, God has a body of flesh and bone - he's really someone. Makes sense he lives somewhere.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa. Interesting Thread!

Is the angel of god in the header pictured above "beaming down" from there to talk to BY (and, I assume, give him the BoM)? It sure looks like it.

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

elaine - which header?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, God has a body of flesh and bone - he's really someone. Makes sense he lives somewhere.
How tall is he?

Hmmmm. I would say that God has a GREAT SPIRIT and that he comes into a Physical Body when he wants to.

I don't think that he just has a physical body that he's only in all of the time, but this is one of those things that I have a knowledge of, but not the 100% definition.

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
The picture at the top left of your screen, Kat.

eslaine, I don't think that's what you think it is. I believe it's Hatrack. From the Seventh Son series?

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
And the Angel didn't give the BOM to BY but to JS.

[Smile]

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

Oh yeah. Sorry, should have paid more attention in my Comparative Religions class!
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
The basic premise is that among the stars, which were all created by God, there are degrees of greatness, and the greatest of all the stars is Kolob, and Kolob is near where God resides. Abraham was getting a lesson in astronomy, and not just astronomy from the Earth's perspective.

BTW, even if that was an angel appearing to give the Book of Mormon, he would have been giving it to Joseph Smith, not Brigham Young.

Edit: Ah, beaten to the punch by solo.

[ August 20, 2003, 05:08 PM: Message edited by: advice for robots ]

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

You shatter my Myths about that fine religion.

Thanks anyway.

blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised that doesn't give rise to more Mormon science fiction. I mean, what happens if , in the course of space exploration, we come upon Kolob and find God?

(I'm just musing, I hope it's not offensive)

Thanks for all the clear answers. [Smile]

[Group Hug] hatrack

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

I'm surprised it doesn't give rise to more LDS astronauts!
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
That connection has been made many times before. I haven't looked all through the past threads here, but I wouldn't be surprised if Mormons' fondness for speculative fiction has been a topic at hatrack before. Possibly over and over and . . .

UofUlawguy

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't say there's anything officially doctrinally spoken about where God lives. Scripture alludes to it, but we know that scripture tends to teach symbolically.

All I can say is that there's probably a lot of speculative LDS teaching on the subject, but nothing that's official dogma.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I'll bet that's why there's not a lot of science fiction about it - it's not well-understood, and there's a tendency to shy away from exploring in art the very, very sacred things. No accidental blasphemy.

Is Zal around? I'll bet he has an opinion on this. [Smile]

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm surprised that doesn't give rise to more Mormon science fiction. I mean, what happens if , in the course of space exploration, we come upon Kolob and find God?
It was called Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, and it sucked.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
And then there's Battlestar Galactica ...

[ August 20, 2003, 08:32 PM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoffrey Card
Member # 1062

- posted      Profile for Geoffrey Card   Email Geoffrey Card         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm surprised that doesn't give rise to more Mormon science fiction.
It probably would, if Mormons didn't ALSO show reverence for things by avoiding depictions and discussions of them. We don't typically repeat the name of deity very often, nor do we discuss aspects of deity that we know we don't fully understand, because we are very concerned with avoiding depicting Him falsely.

So if you hear a Mormon talking abotu Kolob a lot, that means they think they have it all figured out, and are, by definition, wrong on almost all counts.

I personally take a much more allegorical interpretation from Abraham 3, though I do still recognize, as all Mormons do, that God must be SOMEwhere [Smile] I just don't believe our scriptures have even begun to explain exactly where.

[ August 20, 2003, 08:49 PM: Message edited by: Geoffrey Card ]

Posts: 2048 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
My answer was better, Geoff.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Most LDS speculative writers have shied away from explicit speculative Mormon theology. In other words, they may use ideas from Mormon theology in their world building (OSC and auias being the best example) or they may use Mormon characters. About the closest you get is pre- or post-apocalyptic fiction ala the "Left Behind" series (other than OSC's _Folk of the Fringe_, Linda Adam's prodigal journey series is the best of the lot [from what I understand - haven't read her books yet]). Oh yeah, and there's also a few "spirit world" (afterlife) books -- although some of those aren't explicitly Mormon. Kenny Kemp's _I Hated Heaven_ is the best of that category.

The reasons behind this (other than the fact the its more market friendly) have already been explained by Geoff. While I agree with him when it comes to depictions of deity, I do think that there's room for more explicitly Mormon characters and themes in speculative fiction. For example, I think that a straight-up Mormons from a century or two from now explore space and encounter other forms of intelligent life novel could be interesting.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems to me (and perhaps I'm a bit sheltered, living rather far from the nearest Deseret Book [Smile] ) that the only major LDS fiction writer to use direct scriptural material is Heimerdinger in his Tennis Shoes Among the Nephites books, and though they're rather popular, I know there's a rather large undercurrent of disapproval for their somewhat blasphemous fictionalization of scriptural events. I don't think LDS Sci-fi dealing with the home planet of God would do well at all.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoverOfJoy
Member # 5566

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
and

quote:
I'm surprised it doesn't give rise to more LDS astronauts!
nawww...then we'd have to deal with having all our languages changed again...
Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

I wasn't trying to be disrespectful, but man, if I thought God was alive on some planet somewhere, I'd want to be out there looking for him.

As long as we are discussing this, how does that work exactly? I mean, if you die and go to heaven and the best heaven, as I understand it, is to be in the presence of God, and if God is a living being on another planet, how do you get to be with him? Is not actively looking for God part of the showing reverence thing?

MattB
Member # 1116

- posted      Profile for MattB   Email MattB         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I know there's a rather large undercurrent of disapproval for their somewhat blasphemous fictionalization of scriptural events
There's also a rather larger undercurrent of disapproval because they stink. [Razz]

[ August 20, 2003, 11:25 PM: Message edited by: MattB ]

Posts: 794 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
The Tennis Shoes series isn't as bad as, say, Children of the Promise , which tries to be the next Work and the Glory . And don't even get me started on that. [Roll Eyes]

[ August 20, 2003, 11:20 PM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoffrey Card
Member # 1062

- posted      Profile for Geoffrey Card   Email Geoffrey Card         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
if I thought God was alive on some planet somewhere, I'd want to be out there looking for him.
Of course, the faithful would answer, "Why, when you can have Him with you any time you want?" [Smile]
Posts: 2048 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
Mind if I ask a different question? The other thread seems to have scrolled away again.

Back in high school, my sister and I became friends with a Mormon girl who was on the academic team and (I believe) in band. Eventually our families became acquainted as well. The first time we went to their house to visit, the mother asked (as people who meet me usually do) about my voice, which is unusually deep due to a partially-corrected birth defect.

After my mother and I had explained about it, she responded, "You must be so blessed!" which baffled both of us--it seemed a very strange expression to use. But rather than risk getting into a religious discussion we didn't ask about it. So...does this expression have something to do with a particular point of LDS doctrine, or was it just a quirk of the family?

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

Kayla asked, "As long as we are discussing this, how does that work exactly? I mean, if you die and go to heaven and the best heaven, as I understand it, is to be in the presence of God, and if God is a living being on another planet, how do you get to be with him?"

Well, Mormons tend to talk about being "with" someone in the afterlife a lot, without really thinking it through. We are told that those that to to "the best heaven", or the Celestial Kingdom, will actually live on Earth. That is, after the final resurrection and judgment, the Earth will be changed into a Celestial sphere, where those folks will reside. So, if God is on his own world, and we (wishful thinking) are on Earth, we won't be "with" Him in the sense of living down the block from each other. However, there are other senses in which we will be in His presence, including the fact that we will be able to enter His actual physical presence at any time.

UofUlawguy

docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Children of the Promise is a wannabe Work and the Glory?

Ahem.

The difference in writing between Dean Hughes and Gerald Lund is like the difference in writing between OSC and my daughter. Who is two. And can't write yet.

I don't know if you've read them, but the Promise series is actually pretty decent historical fiction, so if you dig that kind of thing, I'm sure you'll enjoy them. If not, I can see how it might look like it's trying to rip of the Work and the Glory series, but it's really worlds apart.

Sorry to head for this tangent. Please keep talking about Kolob.

Go Abraham!

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Answering Macc:

That's more of a family quirk. Although the kind of mom who says that usually ranks among the sweetest and kindest of women. I'm just picturing the women I have known who might say something like that. But there's no particular Church doctrine that would prompt her to say that.

Docmagik: Perhaps my only claim to fame is that I once took a creative writing class from Dean Hughes. He's a really nice guy. But I haven't read any of his books because I dislike historical fiction.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoffrey Card
Member # 1062

There are Mormons who toss around the words "blessed" and "blessings" without thinking too much about them. Those who hear them shouldn't, either [Smile]
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok I started reading the passage that you linked to from Abraham, which is part of the Pearl of Great Price. Then I read Joseph Smith's account of how the plates were revealed. Then I jumped around a bit and read the preface to the Book of Mormon. I also read the statments by the three witnesses and the eight witnesses.

I guess I knew all of that information sort of vaguely in the background being non-LDS myself, and maybe I'm asking a stupid question. But, what happened to those plates? I understand not letting everyone in the world see them because they are sacred, but why hasn't anybody modern seen them? If there is some specific link sanctioned by the LDS church that discusses this subject I'd love a referral. I've been perusing the LDS site myself but feel a little lost since it is such a huge site.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Gosh, I thought the angel didn't GIVE JS the BoM. I thought he just told him where to find it. I'm not LDS, and barring something else happening that changes the physical and/or chemical structure of... me, I won't be.

But that idea has always made sense to me. There are a lot of ancient references to space, and even old carvings and paintings that seem to represent some sort of UFO type of thing. It would make sense for an advanced being to take an interest in us, or even to have planted us here (guided evolution, or whatnot).

But I sort of fail to see the point in worshipping it, even though on some level I can accept it as true.

(P.S. Please don't send me anymore sweet little Mormon boys. I corrupted the last two, but I'm tryin' to cut down.) [Wink]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacare Sorridente
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Jacare Sorridente   Email Jacare Sorridente         Edit/Delete Post 
Banna- there was a section of the plates from which Joseph translated the Book of Mormon (either 2/3 of the total or 1/3 of the total, depending on the source) which was sealed and which Joseph was told was to come forth at a future date. Once Joseph was finished translating the portion of the plates allotted to him Moroni came and took them back.
Posts: 4548 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hegemon
Member # 370

- posted      Profile for Hegemon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But, what happened to those plates? I understand not letting everyone in the world see them because they are sacred, but why hasn't anybody modern seen them?
Joseph Smith--History v. 8

quote:
When, according to arrangements, the messenger called for them, I delivered them up to him; and he has them in his charge until this day
one unofficial explanation
Posts: 295 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
popatr
Member # 1334

- posted      Profile for popatr   Email popatr         Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding the earth becoming a "celestial sphere".

Yes. This explains how the meek will inherit the earth--'cos it sure aint happening now. (and there have been a lot of dead meek people who never got that promise fulfilled.)

[ August 21, 2003, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: popatr ]

Posts: 554 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, I read the links with interest. While I don't intend to become Mormon, I plan on reading all of the LDS Scriptures just out of curiosity. It is much more intriguing now to me than it was before.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duragon C. Mikado
Member # 2815

- posted      Profile for Duragon C. Mikado   Email Duragon C. Mikado         Edit/Delete Post 
It would make sense in the context of the old testament. There is one book, I believe it is Ezekiel, where the prophet describes something that could be interpreted as an alien encounter. He says a rock with fire beneath it descends from the sky, and four "angels" come out of it. The angels are "flying" above the ground without moving their "shiny wings" and they have four "faces" (helmet/mask). They each carry a cylindrical object attached to them by a "rope." This could be a life support, levitation or some other fuction-oriented device. They speak directly into his mind and tell him what god wants him to know and say etc.

I guess if god really did exist on a planet his angels could use spacecraft to get around and/or maybe aliens really created christianity to control us! Either way or maybe neither way it is interesting to wonder...

Posts: 622 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.