FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Christy and I will be in Orlando in early November. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Christy and I will be in Orlando in early November.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Give her a hug for me, Tom. [Smile]

Cat is doing well. We are going to watch Moulin Rouge together today, in my ongoing campaign to win his trust without him noticing.

The bait: tinned cat food, fuzzy blanket, and warm legs. (So far, I'm 1 for 1. [Big Grin] )

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Yaay the broadband is almost working again.

Wednesday and Thursday would be great. Tom gets out about 4:30, so we're free anytime after then. Where would we like to go for dinner? Keep in mind that we'll have to take a taxi, so someplace miles from the Hyatt wouldn't be very good for us unless someone wants to come pick us up.

*hugs CT* Have fun watching Moulin Rouge with cat!

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
Are there any particular kinds of food you guys like or don't like? Steak? Seafood? Italian? Barbecue? etc?

Incidentally, you have the town's biggest concentration of restaurants right by you, without any need for a cab. Disney and the Hotel Plaza have dozens of nice full service restaurants that don't involve entering any parks and that are served by bus transportation from where you are.

[Smile]

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Quick n easy would be the House of Blues restaurant at Downtown Disney, an exit or so away from you. Big free mall area, with lots of addictive stores like a huge Virgin Superstore and a Lego outlet (mmm, legos...).

I would suggest King Henry's Feast (medieval dinner show) but I've heard it shut down. Feh.

I'm not big on Thai, Indian or Vietnamese cuisine (low threshold for spices) but just about anything else is fine. And almost everybody has a few menu items for us gringo wusses.

[ November 03, 2003, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Let me know which day you're going to have dinner. I won't be able to do EPCOT, but maybe dinner.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

Icarus,

I don't really do seafood, but other than that we're pretty open and I can find things to eat if everyone else wants seafood. We frequent many different restaurants -- thai, indian, mexican, italian (both traditional and american), really pretty much anything. Pick a favorite restaurant. We'll trust you.

Hm...we haven't seen any bus service. There's a free shuttle at the hotel to on-site locations and to Disney on a very limited schedule. If you know of a nearby bus stop, please let us know. We've been taking the $7 minimum taxis the hotel provides to get to Downtown Disney.

Are we still on for Epcot on Wednesday, or do we want to scrap that idea? Sounds like Thursday is just better for everyone.

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
Meh.
Come to London!

Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

Actually, I was just about to suggest Wednesday for Epcot and Thursday for dinner, unless everyone's against that. Wednesday works better for me (for Epcot) because my father will already be coming to meet the bus, which brings Mango home before we are able to get home. So it's not that big a hardship for him to stay and watch the girls for us, which is good because the F&WF is really not their speed. [Wink]

Regarding transportation: if you take the free shuttle to pretty much any Disney property, but most especially the Ticket and Transportation Center (en route to the Magic Kingdom), you can transfer over to another free bus, and get to any location on property, including Pleasure Island, for free.

[Smile]

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Gee, too bad my work schedule and the distance are not conducive to my sneaking up there to meet you. [Frown]

Hope ya'll get together and have fun.

We expect a FULL report. [Smile]

**Ela**

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

Of course, the cab is probably faster.

[Smile]

Two dinner suggestions, one pretty expensive and one more reasonably priced.

(Our own attendance will depend on how well the girls have gotten over their colds.) (Of course, I'm assuming here . . . does anybody object to us bringing our girls to dinner?)

More Expensive: The Hoop-Dee-Doo Review is a tongue-in-cheek musical vaudeville type show themed after the old west. Audience participation is encouraged. Food is all-you-can-eat salad, fried chicken, ribs, succotash, baked beans, and rolls, all you can drink soda, beer, or sangria, and huge helpings of strawberry short cake. Price is about $50 per person, and I might possibly be able to swing a discount, but no promises. Shows book up quickly, so if this is what people want to do, tell me as quickly as possible and I'll make the reservations. This restaurant is at the Fort Wilderness campground, which in my mind is one of the most beautiful settings at Disney World, but transportation to it, while free, is a pain in the neck. I'd love to give you a ride, but we'd have the girls with us, so unless you wanted to ride in the trunk . . .

Less expensive:'Ohana is a family style (i.e., all-you-can-eat, set menu, alcoholic drinks a la carte) restaurant featuring polynesian-themed but Westerner-friendly food. Salad, veggies, chicken, pork, shrimp, beef, and pineapple wedges with a caramel dipping sauce, and non-alcoholic drink. If you want dessert beyond that, it is a la carte. Price is $23.99 per adult plus tax and tip, but I can get a 20% discount here as well.

Megachirops
Member # 4325

Oh, and on whatever day we do Epcot we could give you a ride to the park, if you guys aren't going until afternoon. Of couse, given that you will be paying for a full day at the park, you probably won't want to wait that late, unless your conference schedule gives you no choice. We work until 3:45, but we will try to sneak out early if it's Wednesday, since Wednesday afternoon we have meetings.
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Thursday for dinner works great for me. I'd vote for the second dinner option. Bad time of the year for expensive dinners, and frankly I'd rather not meet you guys the first time at a place where there's no real chance to talk. Dinner theater would be overkill and, probably, not as entertaining [Smile]
That said, I'll try and manage whatever wins the toss.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

I'll plan on Thursday for dinner.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Really, these types of gregarious love fests are just asking for trouble.

Someone should nuke FL just to keep you all from annoying the rest of us with your friendliness.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

[Taunt]
zgator
Member # 3833

If you nuked FL, where would you people come for vacations?
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I was actually just thinking about something....

It's fifty bucks just to get into the Food & Wine thing, and the food and wine in there won't be free, either -- meaning that we're probably saying at least $100 per person for the evening. That's a bit steep for my blood, especially since Christy and I were already considering checking out the Cirque de Soleil show (which is $76 a pop).

Considering that we're the kind of people who walked to Pizza Hut last night to avoid spending $25 per person for dinner downtown, there's a part of me that congenitally cringes at the thought of, you know, INDULGING in stuff.

On the other hand, Matrix: Revolutions opens tomorrow. And I can think of few shared events that more traditionally bind all Hatrackers together than the release of a major geek movie.

Assuming you guys aren't already taking Wednesday off work to catch the very first opening or something, what would you say to dinner on Thursday followed up by a movie?

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

How about movie Wednesday and dinner Thursday? I hate to just see a movie with Hatrackers, because then you lose most of the fun chat time.
Megachirops
Member # 4325

I have some cast member friends . . . what if I could score some free passes?

(No promises . . . )

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Given that free passes -- assuming they're legally obtained -- would save us $100 if we were to do the Epcot thing, I would have to be very stupid indeed to say no to that kind of offer, if available. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

Yeah, this would be legal. I am putting out feelers among my cast-worker friends, but I don't know if I can find something this quickly.

I can definitely sneak two people in quasi-legally, but I know not everybody is as ethically challenged as I am. [Smile]

The other possibility is that I might be able to get tickets not free but at a substantial discount . . .

Scott R
Member # 567

Again, a nuclear device detonated near this little gathering would not be amiss.

Not at all.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

Okay, sorry guys. We've been a bit confused. We are going to go to Epcot Food and Wine fest tomorrow night. You are welcome to join us if you're able. Otherwise dinner Thursday is still good.

I think Icarus is posting much the same... *smile*

Megachirops
Member # 4325

So dinner on Thursday? Sound off (Zan and Chris, this means YOU) and . . . if we're doing 'Ohana . . . I'll be happy to make the priority seating.

How many?

What time?

(Am I monopolizing? Sorry if I am . . . there's a fine line between filling a leadership void and being bossy. If people want to do something else, just say so!)

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Thursday works. Where? Earliest I could get there, depending on where "where" is, is probably around 7.

Scott - won't work. Hatrackers can't be killed by conventional weapons.

Megachirops
Member # 4325

'Ohana is at the polynesian resort (at Disney World . . . on the Magic Kingdom loop).

Tom and Christy: if you don't feel like riding in the trunk of our Aztek, and if nobody else offers you a ride, take your hotel's transportation toward the Magic Kingdom to the Ticket and Transportation Center (TTC). From there you can walk (it's the big quasi-polynesian looking place just to the west), take another bus, or take the monorail.

-o-

Eek! Seven!

[ November 04, 2003, 05:56 PM: Message edited by: Megachirops ]

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Tell me about it.

I'm working late tonight to cover elections so I can probably shave some time off my usual end-of-day (6pm), but I'll be coming from Daytona and picking up Teres along the way. 7 is a rough estimate.

Megachirops
Member # 4325

What's the verdict on children? We almost certainly cannot get babysitting on Thursday, but I don't want to inflict my children on any unwilling people . . .
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Children don't bug me. I have duct tape.

Besides, Bob spoke well of your parenting, and that's good enough for me (covertly checks duct tape supply).

Christy
Member # 4397

We don't mind children [Wink] We like children...Yum!

Sadly, as alluded to, the hotel transportation ends around 3pm to the parks, so unless we're going to get there REALLY early, we'll be begging for a ride, but we can take a taxi if there are no volunteers.

[ November 04, 2003, 08:17 PM: Message edited by: Christy ]

Megachirops
Member # 4325

quote:
Bob spoke well of your parenting . . .
Yeah, but I don't know if I have enough money to pay all of you guys off like I did with Bob . . .
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Stay tuned for an update tomorrow, I'm thinking of just taking a half day so I can get to Orlando before the restaurant closes. I'll let you know what the verdict is.
Scott R
Member # 567

Nuclear weapons are not considered 'conventional.'

Boom.

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

True enough, but they still won't help. When the nuclear holocaust comes and goes, Hatrackers will still be here, arguing about homosexuality with the cockroaches.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

[Frown] [Frown] [Frown]

I wants me Christy & Tom back.

[Frown] [Frown] [Frown]

(Stupid resort paradise. [Grumble] )

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Give in to the anger, CT.

Bitterness is your only salvation.

Join me, and together, we will nuke FL!

Psst. Next on my list of areas to devastate-- the Pacific coast.

Gonna be a blast.

Guaranteed.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

I'm all about the bitter, Scott. Just say the word, and I'll be the first to help you flatten that hedonistic pleasure-den of iniquity.

Ratfink stupidheads got my Christy, and they ain't given her back. Only recourse is a thorough burnination on their stinkin' bums, methinks.

Arrrrrr. [Grumble]

Scott R
Member # 567

Awwwriiiiggght!

CT said burnination!

Whatever else happens, FL is SOOOO toasted.

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

(Putting on extra sunscreen, just in case)
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

*cross-eyed hex-look

Aye be settin me sights on yer lilywhite parts, aye do. Prepares for the burnination, ye scurvy dogs.

[Mad]

Give 'er back, or ye'll be sorry.

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

My lily-white parts are where I put the most sunscreen.

We'll give her back when we're through with her, in her original upright position, even.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Hmmmm. You better.

And none of that cloning thing, neither. I can tell. [No No]

Scott R
Member # 567

It's a trick, CT.

You know they'll never give her back.

They never do.

She'll be forever looking southward, toward that Kingdom of Magic and Chaos.

Cut your losses.

Nuke them.

Now.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

(Alas, Scott, I have no big, beefy arm of my very own. I can only envy the destruction I could have wrought. [Big Grin]

I do, however, have a kickin' outfit of black leather pants, high-heeled black leather boots, black cashmere sweater, and black leather jacket. I can be Ennui, your neo-cafe-jazzcat sidekick with that annoying superpower of irritating everyone. [Wink] )

[ November 05, 2003, 08:29 AM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Hey, we let Bob go! Eventually.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

He escaped on his own, foul demon. And who knows how long his thoughts will linger on those sandy days of his youth. Who knows how long before the Big Mouse calls him back?
Scott R
Member # 567

And you sent him to Texas-- poorer was he when you finished with him than when he started out.

[Big Grin]

And CT-- I don't go in for leather (more of a flannel guy myself) but whatever floats your boat.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

It's necessary for the whole annoying thing.

Flannel brings out the mellow, tuna-sandwich-on-toast, watching-old-movies under a quilt on a rainy day part of me. Pretty much the only superpower that gives you is bad breath, and while effective, it isn't exactly stylish.

Sidekicks gotta have style. My favorite sidekick ever was a chick called Lightning Bug, whose butt glowed when she used her electrical power. She grew up into bigger and better things, and she divorced the dude who named her.

Megachirops
Member # 4325

quote:
Who knows how long before the Big Mouse calls him back?
*sigh*

Hopefully not very.

[Frown]

Christy
Member # 4397

quote:
We'll give her back when we're through with her, in her original upright position, even.
*is very disturbed*

*is drawn back by the beach, a hammock and a book* The mouse might not keep me here, but the sun sure will.

Although, fear not. Tom has been melting since he got here. I think he'll drag me back home by my hair before we'd live/stay here. And he hasn't even been out during the day. *giggle*

Me, I'm hoping to store up enough solar energy to keep me warm all through the gray midwest winter. *giggle* I really miss the sun in winter. I'm so solar powered.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.