FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Does a Universe Really Need a God? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Does a Universe Really Need a God?
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

This discussion is going at a rip-roaring pace, but it's good fun [Smile]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Flame
Member # 5556

- posted      Profile for Celtic Flame   Email Celtic Flame         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you're right about that eslain. A lot of people look for meaning where this is none.

Or do we create meaning where there is none... [Smile] hmmmm. Bah, I don't know...

Posts: 149 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacare Sorridente
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Jacare Sorridente   Email Jacare Sorridente         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No. Evidence is a manifestation of the divine. The human need for explanations is reason enough for many cultures to have religions.
You mean the evidence recorded in the records of those civilizations?

quote:
Jacare, or it could mean that searching for a greater truth or purpose is instrinsic to human nature. It doesn't necessarily prove the existence of that greater truth.
It doesn't prove the existence, but it proves that for a long time a very large number of people have believed it and some have written evidence of it. To say that no evidence exists is to nullify all of these.
Posts: 4548 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sho'nuff
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for Sho'nuff   Email Sho'nuff         Edit/Delete Post 
i guess we're(I'm) talking more about observable evidence then.
Posts: 251 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
People hallucinate all the time. There are as many different stories as witnesses to a crime.

These are eyewitness accounts, not emperical evidence.

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Flame
Member # 5556

- posted      Profile for Celtic Flame   Email Celtic Flame         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The human need for explanations is reason enough for many cultures to have religions.
You're probably right about that. I'm still of the opinion that most, if not all religions, are wrong about the facts of how things began, and how exactly things work.

Still...the reason I appreciate religion is because most of it is a good guide to living life right.

Posts: 149 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

I agree, CF. The idea of many religions seems to have started out as a way of organizing ethics for a particular society.

[ August 22, 2003, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: eslaine ]

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
"Doesn't the fact that many civilizations in different places at different times have all worshipped a divine being count as evidence?"

Many civilizations in different places at different times have also known that the world was flat, that there were lots of interrelated divine beings that all had violent tempers and ADD, that women and children were property, that it was okay to keep slaves, and that reality television is good. How does anyone's opinion, widespread though it may be, make something objectively true?

All you have to go on is a record of someone else's beliefs. Thus you conclude that belief in a deity is a compelling one, but it would be sloppy reasoning to conclude that there must therefore be a deity.

[ August 22, 2003, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacare Sorridente
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Jacare Sorridente   Email Jacare Sorridente         Edit/Delete Post 
i guess we're(I'm) talking more about observable evidence then.

What evidence would you accept? Miraculous healings? Reports of inspiration? Knowledge beyond the possibility of human source?

quote:
People hallucinate all the time. There are as many different stories as witnesses to a crime.

These are eyewitness accounts, not emperical evidence.

Which is why we throw all eyewitness accounts out of court, right?
Posts: 4548 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
Can science explain magic or beauty?
Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Flame
Member # 5556

Hmmm, Jacare, do you believe in Christ?
(just curious)

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
We do if the eyewitness account cannot be substantiated. No one has ever been convicted because an eyewitness told the objective truth. They were convicted because a jury, made up of fallible people, believed the eyewitness's story to be true. There is a difference, and every lawyer knows that.

Tell me, if 500 people swore up and down that they saw David Copperfield make the Statue of Liberty disappear, does that mean it happened? Or that they all thought it did?

[ August 22, 2003, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacare Sorridente
Member # 1906

quote:
All you have to go on is a record of someone else's beliefs. Thus you conclude that belief in a deity is a compelling one, but it would be sloppy reasoning to conclude that there must therefore be a deity.
Perhaps you missed what I was responding to. It was this:
quote:
Who cares if we can't disprove a god? There is no need to disprove god because nothing has come forward to ever have proven its existance in the first place. We don't waste time disproving things that haven't been proven to exist first.
I was refuting this idea.

Further, in this list:
quote:
Many civilizations in different places at different times have also known that the world was flat, that there were lots of interrelated divine beings that all had violent tempers and ADD, that women and children were property, that it was okay to keep slaves, and that reality television is good.
the only scientifically contradicted point of evidence is the "world is flat" which is a non-starter since educated people in many ancient civilizations (such as Greece, Rome etc) did not believe that such was the case. The rest of your items are cultural. That you list them shows your own cultural bias that the way things are now is the way things should be.
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
It's true of course, Chris. Other people's eye witness accounts, especially those from thousands of years ago, are not a reason to believe in God. But then again, if 500 people swore up and down the the statue of liberty was gone, don't think it would be worth it to look out your window and check?

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Flame
Member # 5556

quote:
Can science explain magic or beauty?
Surrrrrrre we can...okay, not magic. Harry Potter throws all of my ideas out of whack. But science can explain beauty, right? At least when it comes to the beauty we find in people.

I saw something on TV a while ago, I think it was a Discovery program called The Human Face...or maybe it was TLC program. Anyway, it had Cleese in it, hahaha...he's so funny.

Has anyone else seen it? I can't remember exactly what was said, but it had something to do with the face lining up right... [Confused]

[ August 22, 2003, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: Celtic Flame ]

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Point on the cultural bias, although in my defense I should point out that I did throw in belief in deities, which is what was being discussed.
Jacare Sorridente
Member # 1906

quote:
We do if the eyewitness account cannot be substantiated. No one has ever been convicted because an eyewitness told the objective truth. They were convicted because a jury, made up of fallible people, believed the eyewitness's story to be true. There is a difference, and every lawyer knows that.

Tell me, if 500 people swore up and down that they saw David Copperfield make the Statue of Liberty disappear, does that mean it happened? Or that they all thought it did?

Ah, but what of eyewitness accounts which we do not know the objective truth behind? Isn't the vast majority of our historical knowledge made up of historical accounts which we cannot corroborate? Archaeology can provide supporting evidence, but it certainly is nearly useless in recounting historical occurrence alone.
Jacare Sorridente
Member # 1906

quote:
Point on the cultural bias, although in my defense I should point out that I did throw in belief in deities, which is what was being discussed.
True enough. However, you also state that belief as if it were obviously, demonstrably false, which of course it isn't.
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Yah, that was a great program, it was narrated by John Cleese! [Big Grin] [Cool] [Big Grin] It said that the more symetrical the face, the more attractive it is.

I never did understand how there could be an evolutionary reason that led us to think scenery was pretty though. [Confused]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sho'nuff
Member # 3214

quote:
What evidence would you accept? Miraculous healings? Reports of inspiration? Knowledge beyond the possibility of human source?
honestly. Yes. God would have to appear before me and say, "Hey, Greg, I exist. Now stop being an idiot!" Or something equally convincing.

If I am to believe something I need to either see it for myself, or be able to reason to that conclusion through logical deduction based on factors that *are* provable.

Posts: 251 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

>> You mean the evidence recorded in the records of those civilizations? <<

[Roll Eyes]

Right, so because lots of other people over the course of history have believed in god and claimed to have witnessed divine miracles -- many of which have been later refuted, as with Tom's point about the exodus -- I'm supposed to believe in god? And in particular, the god of one specific religion?

Anecdotal evidence is at best a reason to give the subject thought*. It is not a proof.

Edit:

The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data.' All courts of law are required to establish is guilt or innocence "beyond a reasonable doubt." That is by no means a proof in the logical sense of the term.

*Which I have done, and continue to do.

[ August 22, 2003, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: twinky ]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

quote:
But then again, if 500 people swore up and down the the statue of liberty was gone, don't think it would be worth it to look out your window and check?
Probably, but I wouldn't rush [Smile]

God isn't provable, unless he decides to manifest in an undeniable fashion.

But God isn't disprovable at all. His existence and involvement has been pushed back as science progresses and learns more about the first causes of life, but there is absolutely no way to prove that he didn't start the thing rolling. Maybe lightning did cause life on earth. Accidental or thrown? Short of Douglas Adams logic, proving God's nonexistence can't be done.

Which is why I remain apatheistic.

Jacare Sorridente
Member # 1906

Sho- in my experience it is pretty easy to rationalize almost any experience to fit preconceived notions about how the world works. That blade cuts both ways, as far as this discussion is concerned. Maybe the greatest difference between the religious and the non-religious is what each group will accept as evidence of God.
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

So if I see a magical sunset, or I partake in the most wonderful kiss? It's not real unless sceince can prove it?
Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

quote:
However, you also state that belief as if it were obviously, demonstrably false, which of course it isn't.
But it is in contrast to the "one deity" theory being discussed, and is equally impossible to prove or disprove. You pays your money, you takes your choice...
Celtic Flame
Member # 5556

quote:
But then again, if 500 people swore up and down the the statue of liberty was gone, don't think it would be worth it to look out your window and check?
[ROFL]

Damn that was clever. Anyways, yeah that whole symmetry thing made a lot of sense. I've heard that Clinton's face is symmetrical. He's a good lookin' guy, maybe that's why he had such an easy time of being a whore. [Smile]

You're right though, I can't explain how we find beauty in nature.

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Ressurection?
[Wink] AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

quote:
if 500 people swore up and down the the statue of liberty was gone, don't think it would be worth it to look out your window and check?

[ROFL]
I know I would. Maybe that's what we're doing here? [Big Grin]

twinky
Member # 693

>> Maybe the greatest difference between the religious and the non-religious is what each group will accept as evidence of God. <<

I don't even need a physical manifestation. I just need to find that faith in god exists somewhere down at the core of my being. I need to feel it, to feel that this is what I've believed all along without knowing it.

I don't feel that, and without faith in god there can be no belief in god.

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

quote:
So if I see a magical sunset, or I partake in the most wonderful kiss? It's not real unless sceince can prove it?
Define "real" in this instance.

That you saw a sunset or partook of a kiss is easy to prove. That it was a magical sunset or the most wonderful kiss is purely subjective. Others watching the sunset might not be impressed, the person you were kissing might have been spending the time thinking about the last episode of Smallville. It's your subjective interpretation that adds the meaning, which makes it no less real, but not objectively valid.

[ August 22, 2003, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Celtic Flame
Member # 5556

quote:
Yeah, you're right. There's more to life's mysteries than a scientific explanation. At least it feels that way.

[ August 22, 2003, 03:12 PM: Message edited by: Celtic Flame ]

twinky
Member # 693

>> So if I see a magical sunset, or I partake in the most wonderful kiss? It's not real unless sceince can prove it? <<

The magic of dopamine, baby [Big Grin]

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I have odd contradictory views on god.
One view is that if there is a God then God is the universe itself. Or at least what turns random particles into trees, stars and black holes just as something turns noise into clear speech or music.
Two, that there is a possibility that God does not exist, but if god doesn't exist than it does not nessasarily mean that life is meaningless.
Plus I like to toy with the notion that human beings are godlike in a lot of ways.
Weird, isn't it? [Confused]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacare Sorridente
Member # 1906

quote:
Right, so because lots of other people over the course of history have believed in god and claimed to have witnessed divine miracles -- many of which have been later refuted, as with Tom's point about the exodus -- I'm supposed to believe in god? And in particular, the god of one specific religion?
Which of the divine miracles have been refuted? The Exodus certainly isn't one of them. At any rate, I didn't say that these evidences should compell you to believe. They should certainly be enough to make you wonder though.

quote:
Anecdotal evidence is at best a reason to give the subject thought*. It is not a proof.
That is exactly what I am saying. The evidence which exists is sufficient that God may not simply be dismissed out of hand as having no supporting evidence.
Sho'nuff
Member # 3214

quote:
That is exactly what I am saying. The evidence which exists is sufficient that God may not simply be dismissed out of hand as having no supporting evidence.
i don't think anyone is denying that, or maybe some people are...

But the beginning of this thread contained alot of arguments for the existence of god because of the existence of us and the universe. that it was necessarily created by a creater.

eslaine
Member # 5433

Exactly what evidence, barring eyewitness accounts, are we talking about here?

[ August 22, 2003, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: eslaine ]

Celtic Flame
Member # 5556

quote:
I have odd contradictory views on god.
One view is that if there is a God then God is the universe itself. Or at least what turns random particles into trees, stars and black holes just as something turns noise into clear speech or music.
Two, that there is a possibility that God does not exist, but if god doesn't exist than it does not nessasarily mean that life is meaningless.
Plus I like to toy with the notion that human beings are godlike in a lot of ways.
Weird, isn't it?

Wow, that's what I basically think about all this, for the most part.

[Hail] Synesthesia

unohoo
Member # 5490

- posted      Profile for unohoo   Email unohoo         Edit/Delete Post 
IMO, NO

Just because we can't explain the existance of the universe doesn't mean that there is no physical explanation, one that does not require devine intervention. I am also of the opinion, as are some others, that some of us need god and therefore created the idea of god to satisfy our needs.

Posts: 168 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

I'm afraid we'll have to disagree on this point, Jacare. The massive body of evidence adds weight to nothing more or less than the fact that most people in the history of the world have believed in a deity.

That adds not a jot of weight towards the theory that there actually is one.

However, I suspect I should recuse myself from this thread, since it matters to me not a bit whether there is or isn't a god, and I run the risk of seriously annoying people I respect who have a strong belief either way. It's happened before.

[ August 22, 2003, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

twinky
Member # 693

>> That is exactly what I am saying. The evidence which exists is sufficient that God may not simply be dismissed out of hand as having no supporting evidence. <<

Anecdotal evidence is all that exists. There is no proof. Saying that atheism is unjustified because there is anecdotal evidence for god's existence is just silly. As far as I'm concerned, trying to "prove" (even merely "beyond a reasonable doubt") that god exists is also silly.

As to miracles, I've read fairly compelling archaeological arguments against the Exodus, the Ressurrection, and the collapse of the walls of Jericho in particular.

The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

I'm very happy I do not have to live my live by the definitions of others.
eslaine
Member # 5433

Chris, that's exactly why I have stayed out of theological threads in the past. I hope this doesn't become another "culture war".
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Me too, Thor. Me too.
twinky
Member # 693

I dunno, Chris, I like the attitude you take in these threads. [Smile]
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is the expansion rate of the Universe limited to the speed of light. It's not actually travelling. Information is not being transmitted. Or is it?
Eslaine. No, the expansion rate is not limited to c. The latest Big Bang theories use Guth inflation, a theory that explains patterns in the cosmic background radiation. Guth inflation, named after Alan Guth of MIT, is what [edit:is theorized to have] occured when the Universe expanded tremendously in it's earliest moments (fractions of a second) after the initial Big Bang. The Universe expanded far faster than c during this initial Guth inflation. I think (would have to double check) that relativity's c limit is not involved because it is space-time itself expanding, not a light ray embedded in space-time.

As far as God goes, I am with Sho'nuff: without a personal transcendental experience, I cannot believe in an all-powerful creator God. Musty texts from thousands of years ago are not convincing.

[ August 22, 2003, 03:35 PM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sho'nuff
Member # 3214

Me too, Twink. Me too.
eslaine
Member # 5433

I second twink's sentiment. You have already posted several ideas that I could not have put better myself in this thread. Also you seem to be quicker in responding....

Thanks for being here. [Smile]

eslaine
Member # 5433

Hey Morbo! I knew you physical types'd show up eventually! Thanks for the info!
Celtic Flame
Member # 5556

So do we agree to end the discussion? I'm okay with that, enough has been said already.
twinky
Member # 693

>> Without a personal transcendental experience, I cannot believe in an all-powerful creator God. Musty texts from thousands of years ago are not convincing. <<

[Hail]

Thanks for putting my views so eloquently. [Smile]

And thanks for clarifying the expansion stuff too.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.