FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » To those who did read the thread... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: To those who did read the thread...
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
I apologize. I was dared to do it, I took up the offer, only problem is that I was too convincing. Darn my writing skills!!

Again, I apoligize. Meant to be funny, but I did it too seriously. Hate me if you want. To those that dared me, they will remain anonymous. So if you have any problems, go ahead and hate me.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
T, you goob! The only thing unbelievable about it was that there was only one. Once Bernard jumped in it all made perfect sense. [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Did you even see my post saying "He's not a woman" before you deleted the thread?

[ August 29, 2003, 04:35 AM: Message edited by: ak ]

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't mind being outed. I actually thought it was gonna be the funniest practical joke ever. I was the one who dared first Ralphie, then Nathan.

Others thought hatrack too sensitive however, and maybe they were right.

T, any chance you can post what you wrote and let hatrack be the judge?

[ August 29, 2003, 04:36 AM: Message edited by: Xavier ]

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Actually, that wasn't bernard.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
It wasn't Bernie. One of them was moi.

However, Nathan is still a genius, even if we convinced him to use his powers for e-vile...

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

Who was it?

Satyagraha, that had to be Bernard!

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Satyagraha
Member # 3072

- posted      Profile for Satyagraha   Email Satyagraha         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, this is BelladonnaOrchid. ::Frowns at being called a man::

I'm sorry for playing along as well, though. Nobody put me up to it. I just thought that the first comment would be funny under my non-used handle.

[ August 29, 2003, 04:38 AM: Message edited by: Satyagraha ]

Posts: 6 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I egged just as much as Xav (wants some credit)

And T is the best writer on the 'Rack.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

lolololol, I should have known. Cherche la Ralphie!
Xavier
Member # 405

I think after a day of sympathy posts, T_Smith would have been okay spilling the beans and posting the hatrack chat session he was dared to do it in.

Was I right?

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

Parading around in Bernard's sig, BellaDonna. You're a transvestite, that's what you are! [Eek!]
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Boy, Anne Kate's an awfully good sport.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Satyagraha
Member # 3072

- posted      Profile for Satyagraha   Email Satyagraha         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I had this sig first fair and square! [Wink]

And I only dress like a man when no one's looking...how'd you know...?

(edit to add: [Monkeys] )

[ August 29, 2003, 04:44 AM: Message edited by: Satyagraha ]

Posts: 6 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

The others want this thread deleted too, but I would like a serious discussion or poll sort of thing which tells how sensitive people are to practical jokes. [Frown]

I mean that one guy who posed as a black woman wasn't recieved very well, but he wasn't exactly an insider, and the spirit of the thread was insulting to black women.

I agree that T's post was perhaps a tad too convincing, but how many of you would have genuinely been offended?

I'm cool if practical jokes are a no-go, this is perhaps a sensitive crowd, but I'd like to know that so I know for the future...

[ August 29, 2003, 04:53 AM: Message edited by: Xavier ]

Xavier
Member # 405

Oh and Raven, I really was joking, and I'm sorry if you were offended. I'm generally a nice person, ask most folks here [Smile] .
Tristan
Member # 1670

- posted      Profile for Tristan   Email Tristan         Edit/Delete Post 
Meh, delete this thread and post the original one again, says I. Practical jokes are fun, and T's wasn't offensive in the least.
Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

I thought it was funny, but then I wasn't taken in, so that's no measure.

When David Bowles did his April Fools thing about converting to LDS, I was TOTALLY taken in, and I did still think that was hilarious.

But if I felt terribly sorry for someone or very bereft by something then I do think I might feel sort of ill-used if it turned out to be just silliness. I don't know. I really dislike trolls, for instance. I mean I ignore them totally once I know they're trolls but I dislike mistaking trolls for people.

But this was just funny, to me.

celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
darn it! what did i miss out on?
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I know celia! Looks like I picked a terrible time to have a real life!

I'm so curious!

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Either post the original or delete this as well. It's not fair to the rest of us to tease us so much.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
*agrees*

You don't even talk about it in enough detail for us to guess what happened!

[Wall Bash]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
MAybe there was no other thread, and this is the practical joke.

I just hate it when people delete a thread and then create another one to talk about it. [Wall Bash] [Mad] [Confused]

Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

GAAAAHHHHH!!! I didn't save it!!!

Xavier, any chance you did, or do I have to craftily write it again tomorrow? (once I leave for school, I'm gone till 3 am and have no intention of getting on then). Don't post it, just say if you saved it or not.

Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the others! I love a good practical joke and its soooo mean to tease us with this thread! [No No]
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
Even if you don't have it saved, you could still tell us the gist of what happened so we're not completely in the dark.

<--- Is also dying of curiosity. [Angst]

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
You could e-mail all of us that are dying of curiosity. That way, you don't run the risk of offending those who would be offended. Just e-mail it to those who ask for it. That way, we really don't have the right to be offended. [Smile]
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll admit to curiosity, but not insatiable curiosity. If it is recovered and e-mailed, I'd enjoy a copy. When did this happen? (I can narrow it down to between last evening and this morning, but no better than that.)

Hey, maybe nothing ever happened, and the practical joke is all these people pretending something did. Now that's funny!

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
It must have been between 1am and 4:30am Moose. The last read thread on my screen was timed at 12:54 and I didn't see it. So, I only narrowed it slightly, but still . . . [Razz]
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

4:06 forum time.

If it can be accessed at my home through deleted files and such, I'll get it then. If Xavier has it, I actually would like a copy of it myself, so if he could mail it to me, I too would appreciate that. I could TRY to duplicate it, but to put it bluntly it wouldn't be the same.

Man, I love school computers.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
In another words, 10 minutes after I went offline for the night. [Grumble] That's it, I'll just have to give up sleeping altogether, and just sit here all night, hitting refresh over and over.

I'll just need to remember what I did with those toothpicks . . .

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

No T, I was actually pretty suprised to find out that you deleted your explanation post. Could anyone really be offended at it when they knew it wasn't true?

Okay, the jist: Nathan made a thread saying that he was leaving hatrack for good, because he had fallen in love with a married woman here, and made the mistake of revealing it to her. He left to avoid the awkwardness between them, and to avoid recieving any more pain. The joke was that he would delete it after one day, and then he would pretend he had no clue was anyone was talking about.

You may think to yourself "Nathan falling for a married woman? Please, I wouldn't have fallen for it", but you'd be wrong [Smile] . His post was quite convincing, and even I might have thought he was serious [Smile] .

Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash]
This is mean!

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deirdre
Member # 4200

- posted      Profile for Deirdre   Email Deirdre         Edit/Delete Post 
He wasn't serious? [Frown]

[ August 29, 2003, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: Deirdre ]

Posts: 1046 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
You should've left it. I don't think a staple Hatracker has played a joke on the board since DB's mormon-conversion. We were due for another. [Smile]
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

oh man, i bet that was hilarious.

*missed out*

[Cry]

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
*snorts*

--j_k, who is eternally saddened that his intials also stand for "just kidding"

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

Yeah Celia, I tried to get him to imply it was you he was madly in love with [Smile] .
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Actually, I signed on as Unrequited Love and kept my e-mail addy visible so that people would suspect it was me.

Then Belladonna Orchid signed on as yet another married woman thinking it was a thread in their honor, and we had a very brief fight over who Nathan was actually leaving.

celia60
Member # 2039

aw. [Cry]

curse my need to sleep! nathan, you had better dig a copy up!

Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
This thread has been enormously entertaining to see such frustration. Funny in itself--are you sure it really happened? [Confused]
Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how I would have taken it.

Long long ago (almost half my life ago), I was involved on an old BBS (multiple phone lines, pre-internet type). I was conversing a whole lot with a particular lady -- older, yet interested in me. Theoretically interested because I was intelligent and interesting, but thinking back I'm pretty sure it was actually my legs. [Wink] (I looked at an old journal once from around that time, and I can't believe how conceited I sounded about myself, and thus have difficulty believing her given reasoning. Please don't comment about my lack of change in the intervening years, ok?)

Well, eventually she said she was in love with me, and wanted to date very seriously. I was almost 18, and she was 26 (professional rock singer, oddly enough), so it wasn't entirely unreasonable -- certainly not from the point of view of the almost-18-yr-old. We went on a date, had a lovely time (though she drank and I didn't), and were planning on seeing one another again.

A couple days later, she confessed to me that she was married. She wasn't happy in the marriage, wanted to leave her husband for me. I said no, and essentially broke off any private contact, though I'd still see her on the BBS now and again. She left after a couple more weeks, but I was pretty freaked out for a long time.

I think, despite this background, that I would have waited it out, much as I did in the Anastasia case. It would either show itself as true or false in not too much time, and I could hold it in abeyance until then.

That's what I think I'd do. What I would actually do is anybody's guess. Maybe forbid Mama Squirrel to hang around for a while....

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Pop... drama...

T_Smith: PLEASE find it or something!! I can't believe I missed that!!

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow... that's an incredible story, Moose!

It's amazing to me, I think, how wild some of the pasts/stories are of some of the posters here. [Smile]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Okay, I admit it Moose - it was me.
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

No, not that time, Ralphie. This was earlier.
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Moose, it was a similar but not identical situation that swore me off ever taking any board too seriously again. In my case, I was absolutely in love with the guy, and though he was not married, he was living with someone. I figured after that, dating from online was in the catagory of Bad Ideas I Don't Need To Attempt Ever Again.

I didn't believe DB's joke thread for a second, partially because of the day he posted it. I probably would have believed Nathan's, but would like to think I wouldn't have.

And everyone knows that he is in love with me. I just don't happen to have a problem with it. [Kiss] [Evil]

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

I have to say that the writing was superb. It hung completely in the believable, odd as that sounds, with only the barest hint of facetiousness. I do hope someone kept a copy. Even after I posted "he's not a woman", as a part of the joke, I had a brief worry that only the second woman was joking and Nathan and the first woman might just might be serious. <laughs> I was really hoping I hadn't mortally offended anyone. (Note to self: If ever posting dramatic life events, remember that half of hatrack will think you are joking.)

When DB posted his conversion thread, my heart said YES YES, this is right, this is true, Brother Bowles! <laughs> Then I remembered what day it was and so I died laughing. But there is something inside me still that thinks it was actually true, that it was only a forsaging of what will really happen someday. (I was an atheist too for most of my life. DB is still a child. [Smile] ) I confess I still think of him sometimes as Brother Bowles. <laughs>

[ August 29, 2003, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: ak ]

T_Smith
Member # 3734

Curses. Ralphie, you didn't happen to save the chat log did you? If not, I will probably be up till 4:00 am (after work) trying to duplicate it.
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Arrgh... This is what happens when you have to work in the AM.. I miss all the fun chats!
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny, funny funny.

So sad I missed out!

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.