FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » In which it is demonstrated why some of my fellow Christians make me angry... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: In which it is demonstrated why some of my fellow Christians make me angry...
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just wondering what the boys' version would look like...a comic book, maybe?

Truly, I bought one children's version a long time ago. We never use it...I couldn't stand how much it skipped over and/or butchered. On the other hand, I can see how that route could be beneficial to parents who don't want to spend the time it takes to explain what the Bible means...or for those parents who want to just give it to their children to read.

For us, reading the Bible is a family affair. Either my husband or I read a verse or two, then we, as a family, discuss what we think it means, then we go on. Keep in mind, our kids are only 5 and 6, but we feel this is a "habit" at this point, and one we hope will continue far, far into the future.

I can't see this "new version" as something I would buy...or even pick up to look at in a store. JMHO

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And don't even get me started on BibleMan...
Heh heh...I worked in a Parable Bookstore called Gospel Supplies, and BibleMan and his pals came to the store once. It was so funny...Willie Aames is like 5'4", so all of his co-stars have to be shorter than him.
The BibleMan show bites, but it was kind of fun meeting him because I was a HUGE Buddy fan from Charles in Charge .

Truthfully, after working there for the first few months and reading a majority of what Gospel Supplies had, I realized almost all of it was lame and most of the stuff that says "Christian" on it is blatently not-Christian, or else just too pitiful to get away with having Christ's name on it. Since then I pretty much don't give them my patronage at all. I just figure, if people don't buy that junk, hopefully they will stop making it. Try making something that EDIFIES Christians, instead of making them into dopes.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I was at the Christian bookstore yesterday to pick up a copy of the Christian Writer's Market Guide (wow, is it ever wonderful! Even more thorough and useful than the regular Writer's market guide. Not only does she provide the information on the publishers, she also gives agents, conferences, writer's groups, etc around the country and does market analysis, so you can tell which publishers are publishing what types of books, and what their sales and typical advances are. It rocks!)

Anyway, I picked up this "magazine New Testament" and looked through it.

My opinion has not changed. Yes, it's scripture, but the presentation....it just galls me.

Now, I can see what jeniwren is saying - for a girl who would not otherwise read the Bible, it has uses. Perhaps as an evangelistic tool I could see it, but not as something I would buy for my Christian daughter, who already reads the Bible.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
I just took a close look at the slogan at the base of the Jesus/Basketball figurine. It says,

quote:
No, no, no! When I say "JUMP," I really mean "JUMP!"

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting fact about Willie Aames that no one but me knows. . . probably.

He was the voice of 'Hank' in the 'Dungeons and Dragons' Saturday morning cartoon show.

Man, I loved that show.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Seee. D&D will lead you to Heck.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone remember those copies of the Book of Mormon that had gold covers with hieroglyphics printed on them? The part of me that still likes Starburst fruit chews wishes I had one, but I guess I'm glad not to have one around my kids.

Edit: I guess the subconscious thought that bridged these was my dislike of "The work and the Glory" and a subsequent distrust of other (Latter Day Saint) church oriented fiction (End Edit)

And this raises my other though provoking question of the week: Was the prodigal son parable a work of fiction? I think I've posted this elsewhere but I forgot where if I did.

[ October 17, 2003, 11:28 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
No Dan the foolish ones will believe you and start to witness to me when I look at manuals. I hate that.
Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.