FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Drugs for everyone who needs a drug (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Drugs for everyone who needs a drug
Toni
Member # 5620

- posted      Profile for Toni   Email Toni         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmm... black-n-tans...
Posts: 72 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Three more years till I can diagnose [Wink] (still a BA)

Liz, those kids have a right to have an outside evaluation, either by any testing psychologist or a district school psychologist. Why? They cannot have a proper IEP (individual educational plan) without it. Nor will they be able to succeded in the school system. The school needs to facilitate success in kids, and this is started with the proper evaluation and diagnosis. A diganosis isn't official until given by a clinical psychologist, clinical mental health counselor, clinical social worker, or a psychiatrist.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm sort of growing an unidentifiable substance in between my toes...it's translucent purple, sort of looks like grape jelly without the grapes. And it's solid, like a hard blister.

Whaddya got for me, Doc?

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
As far as ADHD etc... I agree that communication and therapy are as good or better than medication. Drugs are not the answer, they are just one of the pieces to the puzzle.

Your ranting was heard and I do sympathize.

Mack, as usual, you are spot on. Why don't YOU run for Governor of California? I'd vote for you. If I lived there. Seriously.

As far as the purple pedomystery, I am stumped. First, I would try soaking with Epsom salts, which of course, does nothing. Then I would blast it with peroxide, which should also do nothing. Then try some Lamisil AT cream, and apply 2X a day for at least a week. If no improvement, check with a doctor. If the purple mass reacts to Epsom salts or peroxide, then well, cool! Try liquid bleach too!

In all seriousness, you will have to do a bit of self-diagnosing and determine if it is foot fungus, a blister or corn or callous, or something more serious. If you think it is fungus, then Lamisil is the best bet, otherwise, watch it carefully!

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Heck, I'd NEVER want to be a politician. Yech. Besides, I live in NH, not CA [Wink]

But thanks Alucard. [Smile]

I actually have a couple meetings this week with kids' teaching teams to make them understand that what the are doing is wrong (setting kids up to fail so that they get kicked out of programs and no longer have to be dealt with).

*sigh*

Sucks, that.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Mack,
The problem is the 504 Plan. It is a catch-all because they have taken away the behavioral piece from Special Ed. At least, in Massachusetts.

It is AMAZING how people can spin a test, Mack. When you go to those meetings, analyze the tester. Ask about subtests.

I refuse to sign my son off on his speech plan. He is not even a 504. I KNOW he has some language retrieval and output issues, and they are not going to tell me he doesn't. When he was tested in kindergarten, it was because of slow speech. Well, slow response. We, as parents, were never quite sure how much was his laid back personality. It turns out, both things exacerbated the other. So, he sat in front of the class, got to be the last to answer questions(teacher was great with him, and gave him lots of extra time to answer.)

In first grade, they declared him cured. Why? Because he was more talkative. Still, when I ask him to do something, he doesn't do it. I used to get annoyed, and then he would cry and say, "But I didn't understand you." Now, I ask him again, if he is not doing what I asked. Sure enough, he didn't hear me(we have had his ears checked. He had tuned me out.) I have to make sure I have his attention now.

The thing is, it is so hard to get what a kid needs, if it is not a glaring problem. The subtle problems are also important, yet schools are just SO SLICK at saying everything is OK, AND proving it with tests.

I do not mean to be an alarmist, but watch your child's education closely. Get in there and bark, because it is parents who make the biggest difference. I know that as both a parent and a teacher.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Dr. Alucard, I have this addiction to lurking...

Hey! I'm cured! Thanks, Doc!

[ROFL]

Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.