FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fire, up close and personal.

Author Topic: Fire, up close and personal.
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Synchronicity hits hard. Ralphie starts a thread about being worried about her parents, and, this morning, a lightning strike has started a brush fire that is now approaching the house.

Let me back up a little here. I am living on a ridge above Wooden Valley California. It is in the Mount George quadrangle, should you look it up on mapquest. Growing up in Napa Valley, I have seen those 100 foot flames as the hills and mountains surround us. I have known the terror, but was always living on the valley floor, well away from the conflagration. I remember when we moved up here in June thinking well, now we don't have to worry about flood, now it's fire.

The yard is filled with emergency personell, due to the convienience of access off of Monticello Road. They tell us that they have little access to the fire, and that it is moving toward us.

Being athsmatic, I threw some important papers in the trunk of the car, and left my in-laws to watch the property. I come to you from my folks place in Napa proper.

At least my stuff is safe in storage. But, as I said, I remember horizons filled with flame in the past, and now it is, indeed, up close, personal, and hopefully, just a flash in the pan.

Too much fire on Hatrack today.... [Angst]

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ginette
Member # 852

- posted      Profile for ginette   Email ginette         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck Erik! How long will it take before you know for sure what is going to happen to your house?
Posts: 1247 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
Prayers and thoughts with ya', sir...
Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Yikes! Make sure to check in with us when you can, so we know you're OK. I hope you are safe!

[ September 03, 2003, 02:52 PM: Message edited by: saxon75 ]

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Erik, I'm glad that you got out of there when you did--asthema is never fun. I hope the rest of your family has the good sense to follow you if conditions worsen. Do keep us posted.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] [Eek!] [Frown]
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Take care Erik!

Urban interface is what firefighters refer to when wildfires start butting up against settled areas. Where I come from, some of the most sought after summer homes land is right up on the hills among the old growth forests. And it's can be a real recipe for disaster.

It's got to be tough on firefighters to move from fighting a wildfire to combatting structure fires. And fighting both, at the same time using two different types of tactics, has got to be worrisome on the best of days.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
(((Erik))) I hope you get to go home soon.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Poor Eslaine!!!

Asthma is the bane of my existence as well. ;_; (sob) I can completely understand wanting to get away from there (I had a complete mental shutdown due to lack of air after being rained on by firework components at the Weird Al concert... I can't imagine how bad it would be near a fire...) but I bet it's hard to leave your home behind and not know what it's going to be like when you return. (((((hug))))) It'll be all right, you'll get through it!

[ September 03, 2003, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: Ryuko ]

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
At least you didn't stay to roast marshmellows.

Good luck.

Now, if everyone on Hatrack gets together and blows real hard, we could blow that puppy out.
On Three

One

Two

Three

Bloooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Aww, Erik! I hope everything will be ok!!

(((((((((((((((Erik))))))))))))))))

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Take care, man. [Frown]
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

Whew.

Thanks Dan, that must have helped. Of course over 200 CDF firefighters attacking the ridge with big water drops from helecopters didn't hurt either!

When I got back this evening I heard the stories from my in-laws. Apparently CNN and NBC were here. I can't tell, there is no television reception right now (typical).

Right now they have a company up there putting out hot spots. We were commended on how we keep brush away from the house, but you really have to out here in the sticks. We are watering around the perimeter.

It was scary, but I'm glad you were here in spirit for me. Thanks. [Smile]

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Dan, I think that all the hatrackers blowing on the flames would have probably made it worse.. O_o;;

But I'm glad you're OK, eslaine!!

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

Thanks Ryuko. That means much.

Grrrr. Looks like I missed an entire round of dkw's Guess the Author game! [Mad]

Oh, well. I think I have a pretty good guess this time, and, failing that, remembered to critique! (poor PSI Teleport)

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you're all safe, and all is well! (((((Erik & family)))))
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] [Angst] [Eek!]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.