FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What's like a shrine to you? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What's like a shrine to you?
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you a football fanatic who's always longed to go to Canton?

A drama fanatic who travels hours to go to Manhattan every chance you get?

Is Yankee Stadium the center of your world?

Are you a Hollywood freak?

London?

Do your friends and family share you obsession, tolerate it, or not know what to make of it?

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Japan/The Miyazaki museum.

Actually probably more Akihabara. I used to dream of Akihabara. All those video games and manga shops... (drools)

And most of my friends share my obsession. My parents are resigned to it, except my dad who keeps insisting I'll grow out of it. Who knows, I may still. I hope not... [Angst]

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Akihabara is cool, but it's not my favorite area of Tokyo. That would be Tama.

It's my favorite mainly because I stayed there for a bit, and because it's an incredible city (very recent, very well laid out, lots of green space, but still the intensity and flavor of tokyo, plus an incredible arts complex).

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
In no particular order:

Houston and Kennedy Space Centers
National Cemeteries
Museums with old war machines (warhorses, as I think of them) like The National Air and Space Museum or our local Cavanaugh Flight Museum
The National Archives.
Most of the Washington DC Mall for that matter.
The Park in which I was Married
The pier at Imperial Beach, Ca.
"Arnie's" at the USAF Academy
Garden of the Gods
Saylor Park, Co.
Disneyland
The Sidecar Pub in Houston
The Curtain Club in Dallas
Club Dada in Dallas
Indian Trails Studio
Anyplace in Toronto associated with Rush

I think that may be it... but don't hold me to it.

Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
I love all museums. Really! Even the cheesy ones like the Corvette museum in Bowling Green KY or wherever it is! <laughs>
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I find myself drawn to the world's biggest ball of twine, over and over again. I can't explain it.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
The Smithsonian
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 4107

- posted      Profile for 2   Email 2         Edit/Delete Post 
I still intend to one day approach the Dalai Lama at his home, on foot.

Beside that, there's a nice cafe my girlfriend told me about down the street, with wonderful cream cheese croissants...

Posts: 149 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
The Holy Land. To walk in the same places Jesus once walked.

A company is doing a cruise that takes you to all the places Paul the Apostle visited, that would be awesome. Naturally it was out of my price range.

If they hadn't bulldozed it all down, I would have added New Zealand so I could visit the Shire. [Frown]

As for this country - I've never been to the Grand Canyon, and I would love to take the kids there and see it for myself.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

They bulldozed the Shire?? O.O Why??? ;_;
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
The Dalai Lama isn't at home much these days, unfortunately.

I can get you an in with the Dalai Lama's brother, though. He runs a restaurant in my home town [Smile] .

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
TAK, I *love* the Garden of the Gods. It's one of my all time favorite places. Hmmm...gonna be in Denver next month -- I'll have to make time for it. Thanks for reminding me! I should see if I can make time to go to the Focus on the Family campus...I've never been and would like to at least see it.

For me, it would probably be NYC, Central Park, 5th Avenue. The Guggenhiem.

And the ultimate... Ireland. I'm hoping we'll be able to go within the next five years.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
I live in my shrine.

I remember driving up-valley, the Napa Valley that is, when I was 11 or twelve. This was before the monster vineyards and wineries fowled the region, and the spring air was clear and crisp after a recent rain. Emerald hills of grass broken up by stands of oak, the mountains reaching to the sky. Natural rock faces, like Stag's Leap, jutted out daring men to climb them.

I had been reading The Hobbit, and seeing a small cave mouth in the side of a low central hill near Yountville I remembered the opening lines of that wonderful fairy tale, describing the Shire.

There are many hidden small natural shrines in the area as well. Soda canyon had some wonderful cascading streams. Lake Marie (another man-made lake in the area) has a wonderful moss covered boulder fall, huge house sized chunks of basalt. (Actually here's a trivia fact: the moon's surface is mainly basalt. Nasa got the basalt powder to test the moon rover from Napa.) I hiked from one side of the valley to the other in my youth.

Napa has always been the Shire for me. When I saw The Fellowship of the Ring I thought Wow! That's perfect. I knew. I have always lived in the Shire....

But big business decided to encroach. They have desecrated my shrine. They have stripped the oak forests and plowed them under for wine grapes. They have turned our little working class community into a bedroom community for the nouvea rich, consigning the local economy to seasonal tourism. Our property values soared. Most of my classmates have had to leave.

I remained silent while the wineries took over. I voted, but did not let my opinions be heard, and that was my mistake. In this day and age, you must speak up, or bow to the will of not necessarily the majority, but of the big money.

She still has her charm, though. I could do without all the vineyards (obviously), but there seems to be a move to return to horse husbandry in the area, it was the number one industry in the valley in the seventies. So let this be a warning--protect your shrines!

Be watchful.

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I live in my shrine.
I also live in one of mine. And I did when I lived in the Foothills in South Carolina as well. I think it's important to choose to live someplace you love, if at all possible.

[Smile]

Sorry things haven't stayed the way you loved them, though.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
The Centre Pompidou art museum in Paris, better known as the Beaubourg

The Chicago Art Institute

and the Denver Museum of Natural History because I basically grew up there.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Describe your Foothills for us, Icarus. I love to hear people speaking of the beauty of places!

Please?

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Graceland, of course. *hip checks a file drawer closed, stepballchange, and a spins*
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Actually, to stop being flippant and start sounding snotty, I've been everywhere. My mom worked for the airlines for five years, so we got to fly for free. Her mother and her sisters lived in Texas, so their method of family togetherness was to take trips, and I went with my mom a lot. If I got out of sorts and restless, she'd put me on a plane. All together, most places I'd heard of and never seen and always wanted to see got covered. [Smile]

I need new dreams, now. Any suggestions?

I would mildly like to go to England, but I've never romanticized it. All the places I've romanticized I do still love, but I've been there. I don't think it counts as a shrine.

saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know that I have any particular "obsessions," per se, but to me the word "shrine" means places that have a sense of reverence to them. Places where I get a certain feeling that's hard to describe, but it's a powerful feeling.
  • Garland Ranch Regional Park (especially the part just across the river from my mom's house where the big bay laurel is)
  • Arlington National Cemetary
  • The stretch of CA Highway 46 just past the orchard west of Lost Hills.
  • Grand Canyon
to name a few.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Personal shrines:

Columbus bakery in Syracuse NY. Best Italian bread in the world.

Hennings Bakery in Santa Barbara, CA. Best cakes, especially white wedding cake in the world.

Luna restaurant in Little Italy.

The Original Alfredo's in Rome next to the Forum.

Il Giordanicco (I think) near the Vatican

My aunt Aungie's house for rigatoni.

My mom's house for lasagna.

The Ice House in Burlington Vermont for swordfish.

Tommy Burger in East Los Angeles.

The Pantry near the LA Convention Center for breakfast.

Heid's Hot Dogs in Liverpool NY.

Arthurs 27 in Orlando/Lake Buena Vista

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
Places where I get a certain feeling that's hard to describe, but it's a powerful feeling.

Oh... for that (now not being flippant), the conference room in the history department of USU, the temple, and my mother's grave.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I lived in MI for 13 years, and I loved it. My family bought a small log cabin on a small lake near Travers City, and for 7-8 of those years we went "up north" every chance we could.
My Dad and I put siding up on the cottage ourselves, to prevent the logs from rotting away. I think I still have some splinters from that weekend, 18 years later! My Dad made a pine table, and all the cabinets, and two years ago he made a huge entertainment center.
The lake has a triple echo, and I use to take my flute out there in the evenings and play for an hour or three, depending on how I felt that night.
I remember swimming at night in a sea of stars, because the sky was so clear that you couldn't see where the sky left off and the water began. The stars were so bright, and the water so calm, that the stars were a perfect reflection in the water. I saw metor showers, and on one night the Arora Borialis, beyond the horizon.
In the morning, the water would be warmer than the air, so a heavy veil of mist would be swirling on the lake as I woke. My alam clock would be where the sun. Depending on how I set my curtains, I could "set" it to hit my eyes anywhere from 5:45 am to 10 am....

I was going to take my fiance, Jenni (JenniK here on hatrack) to the cottage last summer when we were just dating, but I left my job with Cracker Barrel 2 weeks before we were to leave, so we had to pass on the trip. Thus year we were getting ready to be married (Oct 18th) so we didn't go. I can't wait to show her our lake, and play my flute for her with the triple echo...

The best view I have ever seen, or at least one of them, if from the top of Sleeping Bear Dune, on the shore of Lake Michigan. You can see MN from there, and 2 or three of the Great Lakes all at once. It is the largest free-standing sand dune in the world, and the view is breathtaking...

Kwea

[ September 04, 2003, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

If they hadn't bulldozed it all down, I would have added New Zealand so I could visit the Shire.

Do you mean the movie set or the national park? If you mean the movie set, they had a deal going in that they had to put everything back exactly as it was the way they found it, which they did.

If you mean the national park, I don't see how that is possible. I pray that none of the park was bulldozed as that would be an absolute crime.

In other words, can you elaborate on what you are saying, please? [Smile]

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
A mile or so into the woods behind the house where I grew up there is a large field on a rise of land. In the center of this field is an enormously large elm tree, easily the largest I've ever seen. Surrounding the elm are 50 or so tiny little trees, all of them having trunks with the diameter of my thumb, and standing no more than three feet high. The tree is large enough that once you've climbed into it, it's possible in one spot to lay down and sleep without fear of falling out, and there are many, many comfortable seats at various heights. From them, you can see the lake glimmering in the sun, watch the patterns form as the wind blows across the waist high grass that fills the field, throw bits of your picnic lunch down to your dogs, think, and dream. In the summer there are grapes growing on vines not too far away, and in the autumn the apple trees yield the most absolutely perfectly tart, juicy apples that you've ever tasted. If you're brave enough you can drink from the stream that comes bubbling up from the ground at the far end of the field. It's where your town got their water back when it was first formed, supposedly, but you never quite worked up the nerve to try it.

That's my shrine, I suppose.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
We need an eating smilie, Bob.

For me, on my lifelong quest for the perfect chocolate mousse, there are only two shrines:

Jen's (pronounced Yen's) in Anchorage

And the French restaurant on the highway between Sequim and Port Angeles. I forget the name of it. They have chocolate mint mousse that is just incredible.

Oh, and an honorable mention is the Lavender Farm Cafe in Sequim. They have Chocolate 911 which is fantastic.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I meant the set. I know the area is still there, but it won't be the same without the plantings, the fences, and everything else. I know most of the hobbit holes were just facings, but I would have still liked to walk through there when everything was intact.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to go to the barns at Churchill Downs, or Belmont. Don't care much aboutthe tracks themselves,though it would be fun to walk on the track. I'm more at home in a barn anyway.

I'd also love to go to the Lippizzaner stable in Austria or Spain (can't remember which).

Kwea, we seriously need to hang out when you're in michigan. What lake was that,with the triple echo, by the way?

Ni!

[ September 04, 2003, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: kwsni ]

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
The Mojave Desert. When I was ten, I wrote a story called "Survival in the Mojave Desert". Someday I will go there and see how big my imagination was.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Walking to the top of my cul de sac. I odn't know why, but it's always been an amaing experience, like you're about to step into another world.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Broadway.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Yellowstone
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Jerusalem.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Possum
Member # 2549

- posted      Profile for Possum   Email Possum         Edit/Delete Post 
The prairie grass around our house

Places in Rocky Mountain National Park

Places where I grew up in Fairfax County Virginia are all bulldozed and gone to people, but in my memory they are still there as they were many years ago.

Posts: 201 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Poetry?
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Columbus bakery in Syracuse NY. Best Italian bread in the world.
Okay Mr Scopatz, I live about 20 minutes from Syracuse and have never heard of this place. Please tell me where I can find it so I can verify the truthity of your claim [Smile] .
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

quote:
Let my cuntrymen hear echoes, east and west,

(from Papa Moose's link)

Pops, I'd expect something a little more family-oriented from a guy like you....
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I saw that misspelling, and posted the link anyway. So sue me.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Where ever my pet tiger Hobbes is. [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

quote:
French restaurant on the highway between Sequim and Port Angeles
Holy stars, I've been there!! While visiting my friend from Forks... small world.

And I forgot to mention le Mont Saint Michel! I've set a goal to visit every 5 years at least for the rest of my life. I got to hear a concert there by the monastery choir... echoing through the cavernous nave... ah! C'etait magnifique! Celestiel! Oui, ca c'est mon vrai amour.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
My room.

If you ever enter my room, you better darn well be worshipping me.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking about this thread the other day.

There is a railroad trestle on the road near Essex, New York, which I would see every time I drove from Vermont to the Adirondacks in my college years.

The graffiti on the trestle said:

"Smokey Loves you, Silver Fox."

I always wondered who Smokey and Silver Fox were, and I hope they never paint over that graffiti. I hope Smokey still loves Silver Fox, and always will. When I drove through about eight years ago, it was still there.

(crap, I'm getting old...)

[ September 06, 2003, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Ireland
England
Scotland
Forests
Cathedrals
my old school
the smell of books

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Elizabeth - that reminds me of my favorite road graffitti of all time.

It's on I-90 about 20 miles east of Missoula on an overpass. It says "SVEN LOVES DANGERGIRL" You gotta love that.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Annie,
We have to get these people together.

I always thought it would be a great title for a story.

Which do you think is the girl, Silver Fox or Smokey? I think we are pretty sure with Sven and Dangergirl, although who can ever be sure of these things?

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
Madison Square Garden
any art museum
my tree

Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
The Great Smokie Mountains, which stretch from Georgia to Pennsylvania.
Photo links: Gatlinburg_Sunrise, BeamsOverGatlinburg 1, BeamsOverGatlinburg 2, Fall sunrise
The Smokies have a peace and tranquility that I've felt few times in my life. Especially at dawn, when the foggy peaks make it seem as if the Earth has just been created.

The Blue Ridge Parkway is a two-lane highway that goes from Tennesee to Virginia along the Smokies and is my favorite scenic road.

[ September 07, 2003, 12:46 AM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Morbo,
My mountainous shrine is the Adirondack Park. I grew up there, in Lake Placid and the vicinity. When I take the turn off 87 North, and the terrain starts to get steep, I get a feeling of "home," even though I haven't lived there for almost twenty years.

Raia
Member # 4700

quote:
And I forgot to mention le Mont Saint Michel!
Aww, Annie, that place is utterly gorgeous! I've been there, and I won't soon forget it!!!
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Naushon Island, a 11-mile-long island crammed between Cape Cod and Martha's Vinyard. It's as close as an agnostic can get to a holy site.

Just thinking about it makes me happy.
/me smiles contendedly

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I wouldn't exactly call it a shrine, but I have always wanted to go to Nepal to visit the Himalayas.

I love tall mountains. [Smile]

Raia: I loved living in Jerusalem. The land of Israel feels so ancient, compared with the US.

**Ela**

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.