FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Falling Man

Author Topic: The Falling Man
qsysue
Member # 5229

- posted      Profile for qsysue   Email qsysue         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a long, intense article about a famous photo of a jumper on 9-11. When you see the photo you'll most likely recognize it. The article talks about the search to find out who the jumper was.

http://www.esquire.com/features/articles/2003/030903_mfe_falling_1.html

Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
This is actually a pretty moving article.

This got me: "They were all, obviously, not just killed when they landed but destroyed."

It really humanizes the event for the people who spent their last moments in confusion and terror.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I think those pictures of those falling from the towers were some that affected me the most.

Good *long* article. Interesting search. I don't know if I'd want to know if one of my loved ones had been photographed on the way to his death. But, I don't think I could keep myself from looking at the photos to make sure if someone suggested the possibility to me.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to see the sculpture.

That was a very moving article. Thank you for linking to it.

I feel... like I want to lay down. And sick to my stomach. I don't object to it - it just makes it real again.

I didn't cry when it all happened, but I cried later. Two months later, after Hatrack had stopped talking about it, and after most people had come to some sort of grips, my numbness finally wore off. It usually happens that way for me; I can only deal with something after everyone around is finished with it.

I was listening to the radio - to NPR - and the reporter was telling the life stories of some of the people who died. That's when I started to cry.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
qsysue
Member # 5229

- posted      Profile for qsysue   Email qsysue         Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to have delayed emotional reactions, too, katharina.

I've been thinking about why I haven't wanted to see the pictures of the jumpers published. The article mentions how after the Holocaust pictures of victims were shown, and also brings up that famous photo of the girl in Vietnam running naked down the street on fire. I think the difference for me is that the jumpers aren't just victims; they had to participate in their own murder. And that's what the photos depict.

Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
How sad for that one family who believes that if it had been their husband/father, he would have gone to hell. Well, I suppose it's sad for anyone who believes that of the jumpers. I didn't care for the CBS 9/11 documentary, but I'll never forget that sound.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I can't see why someone would condemn or judge one of the people that jumped, as if they hadn't thought of their families in doing so.

That's pretty much as judgemental and unreasonable as it gets.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.