FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Telemarketers Not Laughing at Dave Barry

Author Topic: Telemarketers Not Laughing at Dave Barry
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
OK - Last time I did something like this I found out it was already old news. Hope this is new - it's a current AP story - and on a topic that seems to unite Hatrackers of all political persuasions. [Smile]

Telemarketers don't think Dave Barry is funny.

quote:
Telemarketers don't think Barry is funny

By AP

MIAMI -- Now it's the telemarketers who are getting the calls, thanks to Dave Barry, U.S. humour columnist.

The American Teleservices Association was targeted by Barry in his Aug. 31 column. He urged readers to call the ATA and "tell them what you think" about telemarketers.

"I'm sure they'd love to hear your constitutionally protected views! Be sure to wipe your mouthpiece afterward," wrote Barry, whose column is syndicated to some 500 newspapers across the country.

Thousands of readers responded with a flood of calls to the group's offices, causing the association to stop answering its phones.

ATA executive director Tim Searcy said the added calls will be costly for the group because of toll charges and staffing issues. "It's difficult not to see some malice in Mr. Barry's intent," Searcy said.

Barry hardly sounded apologetic.

"I feel just terrible, especially if they were eating or anything," he said. "They have phones like the rest of us have phones. Their attitude seems to be if you have a phone, people are allowed to call you."

Callers to ATA now hear a recording that says because of "overwhelming positive response to recent media events, we are unable to take your call at this time."

Waddya think? Fair use of First Amendment? Payback? Harrassment? Just Plain Funny?
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard about this last week.

Brilliant, payback, and just plain funny!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chade Fallstar
Member # 5581

- posted      Profile for Chade Fallstar           Edit/Delete Post 
That is beautiful.
Posts: 155 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Willy Shmily Tiger
Member # 5647

- posted      Profile for Willy Shmily Tiger   Email Willy Shmily Tiger         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh] [ROFL] [Laugh]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 83 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree!! It's about time that they got a dose. I'm sure they get telemarketer calls individually at home, but I'll bet the CEO of ATA has a telemarketer-blocker on his own personal phone. [Smile]

I believe I heard something about a list that is coming out in October or something. If you request to be on it, it becomes unlawful for a telemarketer to call you...anyone else hear about this?

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
The column itself was published about 2 weeks ago - perhaps less in some of the outlets his column is published in. I think this is a fresh AP story on the ATA's response.

BTW, there is a "do not call" registry, that is at a very easy to remember URL:

http://www.donotcall.gov

For those who have already signed up - like me - the prohibition on most telemarketing calls goes into effect on October 1. You can still sign up any time, but the prohibition on telemarketers calling you won't take effect for about 3 months after you register.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid the SIoth
Member # 5654

- posted      Profile for Sid the SIoth   Email Sid the SIoth         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that calling them feels better.
[Razz]

And I say this having worked as a telelmarketer and hating every second of it. Except staff meetings. there were doughnuts at those.

Posts: 14 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
Telemarketers are not, but I certainly am.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slacker
Member # 2559

- posted      Profile for slacker   Email slacker         Edit/Delete Post 
I think we should set up an automatic dialler to call the telemarketing companies constantly (it's only fair since they feel that they can do the same in calling our numbers).

I feel no sympathy for the telemarketers. Some have managed to get their hands on my cellphone number, and now I get solicitations on my cellphone! [Mad]

Posts: 851 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeffrey Getzin
Member # 1972

- posted      Profile for Jeffrey Getzin           Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. I worked at Dialogic for eight yeaers. I could write an autodialer in less than 15 minutes that calls them hundreds of times in a minute. [Big Grin]

Jeff

Posts: 1692 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
No, no, this is a very bad idea. All it does is lower us to their level, and we're better than that.

Really, anyone who called to harass the telemarketers should stop whatever they're doing, right away, and call them back to apologize.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
teeheehee
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] [Big Grin] Chris [Big Grin] [ROFL]
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
(CB, That was classic.)
[ROFL] [ROFL]

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
wow, a reverse pyramid of smilies.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Petra'sDaughter
Member # 5539

- posted      Profile for Petra'sDaughter   Email Petra'sDaughter         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I liked Seinfeld's response
(something like this)

"Oh, I'm sorry, I'm awefully busy right now. Why don't you give me your number and I'll call you back......Oh. You don't want people to call you at home? Now you know how I feel. *click*"

Posts: 46 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.