FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Isabel (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Isabel
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I am in Canada and waiting for Isabel to get up here. (It's heading straight for me though...) By the time it reaches me it'll probably be down to category three or something, so I'm not too worried.

(I wanted a day off school, but it looks like it'll reach me Saturday or Sunday.)

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
It was supposed to hit here in Eastern Pennsylvania, but now it looks like it's just going to rain a lot and be all windy. Virginia Beach does not look like a happy puppy, though [Frown] As much as I enjoy the ocean, that is one reason I would never want to live right next to one.
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday afternoon, school was canceled for both today and tomorrow. [Big Grin] The funny thing is, we've only had some wind and rain, nothing too major. But I'm not complaining, I get a four-day weekend. [Smile]
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
--I--
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

[Confused]
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tonguetied&twisted
Member # 5159

- posted      Profile for tonguetied&twisted   Email tonguetied&twisted         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope you guys are ok! We have you on our news at the moment, it's saying people have been killed... [Frown]

Take care.

Posts: 1111 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KEGE
Member # 424

- posted      Profile for KEGE   Email KEGE         Edit/Delete Post 
Toretha - were you actually IN Baton Rouge when Andrew hit? Or were you just a small child at the time?

I lived there my whole LONG life and don't remember a hurricane hitting us that was as bad as Andrew. I had just moved to Alabama and was visiting home when it hit. It took 48 HOURS from start to finish in Baton Rouge - it seemed endless. Power went out w/in the first 8 hours and my parents house is 2 blocks from LSU campus - they were were without power for 7 DAYS!

It was bad. And Florida - we won't even go there.

Hope all the Hatrack East Coasters are okay.

Posts: 874 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
My parents are in Virginia Beach - their power has been out since early yesterday, there are trees and branches down everywhere. They are weathering the storm at my grandmother's house so she wouldn't be there alone. They haven't been back to the house yet, but so far, so good.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
My parents are in Newport News. I called last night and today, but no one's picking up. The local newspaper say that 94% of homes are out of power in the area.

No major accidents in the area yet, though.

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
yes, I was in Baton Rouge, right near the Perkins Road overpass, and yes, I was a small child at the time, so my memory is probably not very factual. I remember enjoying the whole thing and concluding that hurricanes were fun, and a good way of getting out of school, and my father taking us out on the porch to watch the hurricane, until mom made him stop, then he just went out without us. And we thought the no power part was fun. Dad just impressed on all of us kids how it was an adventure, and exciting.

My roommate Lacey would like to add that she was in a tent during Andrew, until the wind picked up at which point her father tied her to a tree, and she says she had a jolly good time.

[ September 19, 2003, 11:47 AM: Message edited by: Toretha ]

Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
We survived the storm with a only a dent in the roof of our house-- and I was 2.5 hours late for work this morning.

It was pretty scary last night, and we still don't have electricity. But, all's well that ends well.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
I've also got family down in the Virginia Beach area and they're without power and their neighbor's house had two trees fall on it. Up here where I am, right by DC, it doesn't seem like anything more than a severe storm passed through my neighborhood. Although the neighborhoods and counties around me were much harder hit. It sounds like many people will be without power most of the weekend and several areas are rationing water.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KEGE
Member # 424

well Toretha, kudos to your parents and Lacey's for making Andrew an adventure. As a child, I too thought hurricanes were exciting. Of course, most of them didn't last as long as Andrew did. I guess getting crotchety and old changes your perspective on things. I AM wondering what Lacey's MOM thought about her Dad having to tie her to a tree, though.

Good to here that all Hatrackers and extended family are okay with minor (we hope) problems only. [Smile]

Posts: 874 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mainstream
Member # 5693

- posted      Profile for Mainstream   Email Mainstream         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to say guys, so far 8 people have died because of this storm. One of them happened today near me, debris falling out of a tree struck an SUV and killed the person inside. Something like that happened yesterday too, but the person is in critical condition.

Otherwise, I'm happy to say I SURRIVED!!! [Wave]

[ September 19, 2003, 08:28 PM: Message edited by: Mainstream ]

Posts: 6 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Miro--I didn't get a 4 day weekend. [Wink]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

Poor mack. [Razz]
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone heard how the Cards are doing? Geoff, maybe? I know they don't post here often, but it would be nice to know everything is okay. I'm sure Geoff would have said something if it weren't, but reassurances are always nice. [Smile]
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, after 66 hours, the power here is back on! Yay!
Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jexxster
Member # 5293

- posted      Profile for Jexxster   Email Jexxster         Edit/Delete Post 
I certainly can't speak for the Cards, but Greensboro is about 1+ hour west of where I am (Durham) and for the most part it was not too bad here. Some sporadic power outages throughout the area, but damages were really quite minimal.

I would imagine that those who live in Greensboro were (hopefully) in pretty good shape.

Posts: 240 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
Lacey's mom screamed at her father for having taken them camping when a hurricane was so near.
Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

Hey, mack. School's cancelled tomorrow, too. Because of power outages. So that makes five days. [Razz]

But don't feel too bad, I still have to go to my college class.

James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Miro: Same here...

sans the college class.

[ September 21, 2003, 10:52 PM: Message edited by: James Tiberius Kirk ]

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaxonn
Member # 5163

- posted      Profile for Jaxonn   Email Jaxonn         Edit/Delete Post 
Just got power back last night, still no water though. I have no idea what's happening outside of Northeastern NC- its like a dream state or should I say a nightmare state. My family and I are safe and had only minimal damage to our home. We were fortunate the floodwaters stopped just shy of our house. 90mph winds with 105mph gusts for 5 hours was not fun.
Our county is devastated.75% of the homes are damaged, with 7% of the homes having 75% or more damage and are uninhabitable. They haven't been able to get to some areas of the county yet. We have a large historic district that was flooded and trees are uprooted everywhere. Many of these homes are 200 years old and now have to be torn down. Houses were knocked off there foundations by a 10 foot tidal surge. Many businesses are lost, including my husband's employer and my brother's fishing business. I don't know when schools will open again. Every person I know here has been affected. My mother in law has two houses that took major damage.
All I can say is that it was a miracle more people weren't hurt or killed. Only two fatalities here reported so far.
Thank God for the National Guard, Red Cross, Salvation Army, churches and other relief workers. The power crews from all over the state are busting their humps 24-7 to get power back on. I'm one of the lucky 50% that have it in our county so far.
I will never stay here for another hurricane. The damage is extensive and I don't know when we'll get our lives back to normal. For all those who dodged this one, feel blessed. For my fellow N. Carolinians, hang in there with the long road of recovery ahead. Everyone here is helping their neighbors, family and friends and many volunteers are coming from other areas. I don't know if any other Hatrackers are from this area of the state, but if you are I'm thinking of you and praying for you. We will get through this.
Jaxonn (Lisa)

Posts: 55 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ginette
Member # 852

- posted      Profile for ginette   Email ginette         Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds awful Jaxonn. All those beautiful old houses and trees gone, and businesses that are down so that people not only have damage to their house and surroundings but also face a loss of income. [Frown] .

Is there a fund to donate money to, to help your county? If so, please provide a link.

I wish you all the best!

Posts: 1247 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaxonn
Member # 5163

ginette- Thank you for the kind words. It really helps to know that the outside world hasn't forgotten about this small rural community and the task ahead of us.
I can't find a link- my phone lines are still iffy and I keep getting booted off the internet. But the address is:
Chowan County Isabel Disaster Donation Fund (Federal ID No. 56-2261469)
PO Box 1030
Edenton, NC 27932

Posts: 55 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KEGE
Member # 424

Toretha, I'd say the screaming was pretty justified wouldn't you? I'm sure her mom also thought "isn't this just like a man ..." [Big Grin]

Jaxonn, I'm sorry to hear of all the post Isabel difficulties you are all having in your town. Just remember that "stuff" can be rebuilt - but no lives were lost there and that's most important. It's sometimes amazing to think that those 200 year old homes and trees managed to withstand other hurricanes, etc. for so long.

Take care and remember that we're all thinking about you even though the rest of the world may have moved on to the next news story.

Jaxonn
Member # 5163

KEGE- Thank you, thank you, thank you! I was beginning to think that the world had forgotten about us here. Since this area is sparsely populated, the focus always goes to other areas, like Va. Beach, which also got hit.
The houses and trees have held up in other Hurricanes. But we've never taken a direct hit here before, not that I've heard of anyway. Usually by the time hurricanes reach us, they have weakened passing over land. But this one came in over swamps and marshland and nailed us at full strength.
I also think others in this area either don't have power back yet or lost their homes, so posting is impossible. By the time they can, the world will have moved on. But, for any late comers, I'll be here.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.