FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Wisdom Teeth

Author Topic: Wisdom Teeth
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
Frankly, I hate them. Not my last visit to the dentist, but the time before, they told me I would need my wisdom teeth out. However, my brother also needed his out, and his were a lot worse, so he got to go first. All well and good, but now mine are actually coming in, and I am not even scheduled yet for an appointment. I would schedule myself, but I am still on my parents insurance. I will have to leave a pleading message on their answering machine once or twice.

In the meantime, is there anything I can do to make them hurt less?

Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cecily
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for Cecily           Edit/Delete Post 
Aleve is really good on tooth pain.

When you DO get them out, sleep with your head elevated and keep 2-4 small packages of frozen peas and corn in the freezer. These make great ice packs as they form to your face and you can just refreeze them when the cold wears off. Maybe you could try this right now to ease the pain a little bit. I hope you feel better soon. [Smile]

Posts: 75 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien
Member # 5611

- posted      Profile for Damien   Email Damien         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine didn't hurt up until the week I got them out...

they knocked me out....when I woke up, I was all kinds of woozy... it happened pretty quick... I was sore the first day, just kinda slept if off....then only took my pain killers the first two days... was alright... went back in a wekk and got my stitches out...

as for the pain, I'd say...hrm....oragel, maybe? I don't know...aspirin, sure....chew on some ice?

(((((Danzig)))))
(((((good bands in usernames)))))

Posts: 677 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
When you do get them out, make sure you don't have to do ANYTHING, because trust me, you won't feel like it. I had mine out this past Christmas, and I was lucky enough to be able to sleep the entire time (sleeping kept me from waking hours of pain).

Also, Wendy's Frostees are really nice. And just about the only thing you'll want--and be able--to manage.

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaureenJanay
Member # 2935

- posted      Profile for MaureenJanay   Email MaureenJanay         Edit/Delete Post 
How old are you Danzig? How old was everyone when their wisdom teeth came in? Mine are no where to be found and I am 21. If they never come out, will they have to be taken out anyway?
Posts: 264 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
As long as you know that your parents will pay for it, there is no technical reason why you couldn't make the appointment yourself. If you've already been to the dentist you make the appointment with, you won't need to produce an insurance card or anything, and they certainly won't ask about it when you make the appointment (if it's a new dentist they probably will, though).
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien
Member # 5611

- posted      Profile for Damien   Email Damien         Edit/Delete Post 
I was 17.
Posts: 677 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, I will try the Aleve and Oragel. I lack a phone book, and there is no real reason to track one down when I can just call my parents for the number. But if I call them for the number I might as well get them to set up the appointment. We also recently switched health insurance providers, so I do not know if I would even be able to do that.

Thanks for the help, and yes my name is awesome. [Smile]

Maureen, I am 19 now, but I had a birthday since I first learned that they would eventually need to come out. Some people never need theirs out.

Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
I was 17, but I had three months until my 18th birthday.
Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaureenJanay
Member # 2935

- posted      Profile for MaureenJanay   Email MaureenJanay         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess that if I lose my wisdom teeth, I will be losing the only wisdom that I have.

God's being kind to me, I suppose.

Posts: 264 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Just a little advice: Do everything you can to avoid chewing and sucking through a straw after you get them extracted, even after you start to feel better. The Frosty will be tasty and the cold will feel nice, but make sure you use a spoon. Dry sockets are not a fun experience.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
I feel your pain Danzig, for mine are coming out next week. [Frown]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I had six teeth (including all four wisdom teeth) out last month. My wisdom teeth never caused any problem but were all facing the wrong way, so I had them taken out anyway.

After the extraction (for which I was thankfully asleep) I was sleepy and woozy. For three days I took pain killers and I took anti-biotics for a week (urg)

It didn't hurt after two days, and I had the dissolving type of stitches... there were no complications so I never have to have teeth out again... [Smile]

And now I have my very own "wisdom teeth" story to tell. I even got to keep my teeth!

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shepard
Member # 5613

- posted      Profile for Shepard   Email Shepard         Edit/Delete Post 
I got mine out when I was 14. Thankfully, they put me into complete sedation and I woke up in my bed hours later. My advice is...rent movies, maybe a few books. Personally, I didnt think it was that terrible, a few days of swelling and a dull pain, then it was gone. Just be prepared to eat practically nothing for weeks. I pretty much lived on yogurt and water for a week afterwards, but again, the pain wasnt too bad. Of course thats just me.
Posts: 28 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
All of mine came in at the same time, when I was a senior in high school. Hurt like the dickens. I am dentist-phobic big-time, and refused to see one. So, I sucked on ice all the time for about two or three weeks. The cold numbed them, made the pain tolerable. By the time those two or three weeks went by, they were in and the pain was gone. Never did get them out.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yebor1
Member # 1380

- posted      Profile for Yebor1   Email Yebor1         Edit/Delete Post 
When i was in the military 16 years ago they told me I should have mine removed.

I told them I was dumb enough as it was and didnt want to take a chance on my IQ dropping bellow 75.

About once every six months they would try to surface and I would agonize because I hate to take medication of any type.

Last january they came in and never went away.

MY mouth is defiantely too small for them but my teeth and my gums seem to have worked out a compromise.

My teeth stop pushing back and the back of my mouth sipmly grew over the invading dente.

Now we all live happily ever after with only occasional complaints from my gums.

Posts: 1661 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Túrin
Member # 2704

- posted      Profile for Túrin   Email Túrin         Edit/Delete Post 
I stayed awake to have my wisdom teeth out (all four). When you stay awake, they have to be gentler with you, because you're awake to complain. The procedure doesn't hurt anyway because you're numb, and I had hardly any pain after the numbness wore off. Plus it was an interesting experience.

Lots of seepage though, which was extremely annoying and disgusting.

A friend of mine stayed awake during his *heart surgery* so he could keep an eye on what his doctors were doing.

Posts: 49 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Flame
Member # 5556

- posted      Profile for Celtic Flame   Email Celtic Flame         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't had to get them taken out...yet. [Angst]
I'm 18 right now...what's the oldest you can be when they grow in?

Posts: 149 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cecily
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for Cecily           Edit/Delete Post 
Well I'm glad your experience was so nice Turin!! [Smile]

I too didn't experience a lot of pain (less than I expected) but I was one of the lucky ones with crazy impacted teeth. My swelling was so huge and so alarming that my own mother gasped when she saw me one morning about 3 days after the surgery. I had no idea that my cheeks could reach such proportions!! It took about a week for me to feel like I could go out and face the world. Be careful if yours are impacted...it could mean chipmunk time. [Smile]

I hope you get it taken care of soon though. Take Aleve for the pain. I promise, it's the greatest over the counter stuff!!

Posts: 75 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
the only bad part of my wisdon teeth experience was the timing. my mother decided that having them out the day before thanksgiving was a good idea so i woulnd't have to miss any school. THE DAY BEFORE THANKSGIVING!!! WHAT THE?!?

i had them out with just novicane. it was an odd sensation, but not at all painful. my bottom 2 were only slightly impacted and the top 2 weren't at all. i was back in class an hour after my appointment was over. [Roll Eyes]

thanksgiving was all mashed potatoes and pumpkin pie filling that year. [Cry]

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asQmh
Member # 4590

- posted      Profile for asQmh   Email asQmh         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 24 (for exactly 1 month now!). When I was 18, the dentist said mine would eventually have to be cut out because they were impacted and "will never come in; it's practically impossible at that angle" -____-

I started cutting mine when I was nearly 23; now I know why babies cry. It sucked. Sucks, actually, because I haven't had them out yet. It'll probably be stinkin' DECEMBER before I have a chance <insert long rant about dentists, schedules, wisdom teeth and other random things. Top it off with a self pitying sigh. Serves one.>

Q.

[ September 17, 2003, 10:09 AM: Message edited by: asQmh ]

Posts: 499 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.