FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Extended leave

Author Topic: Extended leave
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I have been around only sporadically lately, and this is likely just to get even more sporadic. There's no great way to explain this, so forgive me if it's a little awkward. But as Papa Moose says, the important thing is that everyone is still okay. [Smile]

When my mother was dying, I took a month off to be with her. Just before I left, I had an echocardiogram (ultrasound of the heart) to evaluate for a persisting friction rub. There was no fluid around my heart seen in the informal read (I literally grabbed a pediatric cardiologist by the coat and got him to scan it with me as I was getting ready to hop in the car), so I took off without waiting for the formal read, where they actually take measurements.

Unfortunately, when the measurements were taken, there was an aneuysm found at the beginning of the aorta. It's like a ballooning out of the stretch of normal vessel that was left between my two replacement parts. (Yes, this is what John Ritter died from -- oh, what exquisite timing for my husband! [Roll Eyes] -- but that was because his opened up. Mine hasn't.)

Also unfortunately, I had just changed primary care doctors, and he either missed this or thought I would already have followed up with my cardiologist. And still more unfortunately, I did a lot of heavy lifting during that last month with my mother. The good part is that I didn't have any immediate complications. The not so good part is that I've been nearly as fatigued as before my last valve replacement, and a follow-up CT scan shows an enlarged left ventricle. That is a change from that echocardiogram 3 months ago, and it's a sign that I may be going into heart failure again. The aneurysm seems stable, though.

So today I'll be flitting back and forth to try to figure this out, and I'll likely be out of commission for a bit if I need to have this rerepaired. I'm really tired, feeling numb but scary, very overwhelmed, and terribly conflicted. I can't really think clearly as a physician right now, and I think I'm going to curl up with some Terry Pratchett novels and pretend this isn't happening. Of course, I have a wonderful husband to look out for me, Christy and Tom for terrific moral support, and a primary care doctor with egg on his face (and thus who won't let me slip through the cracks again). [Wink]

I'll let you all know later how it all turns out. Maybe it will all be nothing to worry about, and maybe we'll just end up watching it a bit. If that's the case, I'm in for the next mafia. Otherwise, I may be too busy to check in for some time. Rest assured that I'm keeping that lovely Hatrack vibe going in my heart (? [Razz] [Big Grin] ), and I'll take care of myself. [Group Hug] [Wave]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, CT! There is something deeply wrong with a universe in which a person as fantastic as you has to endure something like this. I wish that there were something I could do to help you. Take care of yourself! Don't let your tendency toward selflessness spur you to do anything that could exacerbate the condition. It doesn't sound like you're going to, but at the same time, I know you, so I thought it needed to be said.

Get better.

((CT))

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Thanks, Noemon. I'll be good. [Smile]

(((Noemon)))

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Good!

(((CT))), fiercely.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
(((CT)))

You're in my prayers, ma'am.

Be well.

Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Blackheart
Member # 5610

- posted      Profile for Erik Blackheart           Edit/Delete Post 
Lass, its does my own heart good t' know yer keepin' yer's healthy! Stay strong! If them other doctor's give ye guff, slap 'em silly fer me!
((((CT))))

Arrrr!

Posts: 38 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
<<<CT>>> We love you! Don't even think about leaving us! We need you too much. [Smile] Take care, dear. Rest and recover. Be well.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
((((CT)))) Get better! Good luck!!!
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
CT!!!!!! *hugs very, very, very carefully*

Dear, I hope everything goes well and you are dreadfully missed already. Take care. [Smile]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
(((CT)))
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
(((((((((((CT)))))))))
Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
(((CT))) I'm so sorry to hear that you're having problems.

I got a (much smaller) heart scare recently, too. At my physical a couple weeks ago, my doctor said that I have a heart murmur. While he said it was slight and not to be concerned about it, I was scared that no one had ever noticed it or told me about it before (and I have read the copies of all of my medical records up until about the last 2 years). It's scary when there's something abnormal about yout heart.

I hope that things will go well and that you and your doctor will be able to find a good course of action to keep you around for many more years. [Group Hug]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh CT! Do take care of yourself, please! I only got to meet you for a few minutes, and it wasn't enough. Not nearly enough.

Rest well, but keep us informed, okay? We love you!

*big hug*

Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
CT,

I wish you well. I haven't been on Hatrack very long, but you have been one of the most welcoming and gentlest of voices I have found here. I've come to look forward to your messages on just about any topic.

Around where I work, the kind of situation you are going through are becoming more frequent. A combination of the high percentage of people who work here who have disabilities and chronic health issues - and the fact that the average age of us all is gradually going up (that's the good news). It's never easy, and I have a feeling we'll all be encountering a lot more of it in the coming years.

Pratchett sounds like good therapy. Please do whatever you need to do for yourself and know you'll be in my thoughts. --Steve

[ September 19, 2003, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dan_parrot
Member # 5692

- posted      Profile for dan_parrot   Email dan_parrot         Edit/Delete Post 
arrrgh.

((CT))

Listen you me hearty wench, you take care of that poxed heart.

I be a wish'n you a hearty--er--heart, and if you need a thing, this gang of pirates will storm the beaches and get ya a doc.

Posts: 19 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Relax and take care and listen to a lot of good music. *hugs*
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] Take care of yourself, CT! You are in our thoughts and our prayers.

[Group Hug] [Group Hug] CT [Group Hug] [Group Hug]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
CT,

I don't know you as well as some of the others, but I have always enjoyed reading your posts. They have been a delight, and I want them to continue to be delights so please make sure to take care of yourself. If not, I have a feeling your husband will be right there making sure you do. I can't imagine what you, or he is going through right now, but I know that taking time for yourselves will help.

Keep on that doctor of yours. And have fun reading Pratchett. I've been thinking of taking up some of his books myself.

{{{CT}}}

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]

Take very, very good care of yourself. Hatrack can spare you for a while, but the world needs you long-term. ((CT))

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
CT! [Group Hug]

Hope things work out well. Let me know if there is anything I can do.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Love you, CT. Take care.
[Group Hug]
And CALL ME anytime you need to chat. [Smile]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Take care of yourself!

(((CT)))

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Embarrassed] Is this a praying smilie? It's red but her eyes are closed and she's talking. Well, that's the intent, anyway. You are an anchor of sanity on this sea of interaction, and I hope you return to us safely soon.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Arrrr! We'll be missin' you while you're gone. The mates and I will see to it that that doctor walks the plank! Hope it turns out all right!

((((CT))))

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
CT--
That a heart as big as yours is tired from giving so much love is not surprising. Luckily, we live in a miraculous age. Get well and be blessed. You are special to us.
((CT))

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trespassin’ Tiger
Member # 5696

- posted      Profile for Trespassin’ Tiger   Email Trespassin’ Tiger         Edit/Delete Post 
(((( [Group Hug] CT [Group Hug] ))))

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 30 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FungusHearted Pete
Member # 5617

- posted      Profile for FungusHearted Pete           Edit/Delete Post 
(((CT))) Good books and lots of rest. We're sending well vibes your way and we'll be thinking of you. [Smile]
Posts: 9 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
(((CT)))

Take good care of yourself, kid. I'll add my good thoughts to all the rest being sent your way.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
(((CT)))

Take good care of yourself, and hope everything turns out ok. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

**Ela**

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Wren
Member # 5698

- posted      Profile for Jenny Wren   Email Jenny Wren         Edit/Delete Post 
(((CT)))

Thank you for letting us know what's going on in your life. You'll be in my prayers.

Posts: 11 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
[Group Hug]

You do what you have to do.

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ye Olde Insufferable Bitch
Member # 5607

- posted      Profile for Ye Olde Insufferable Bitch   Email Ye Olde Insufferable Bitch         Edit/Delete Post 
[Group Hug]
Posts: 10 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Ralphie Bonny
Member # 4207

- posted      Profile for Black Ralphie Bonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Look, CT - Everybody is posting post-nuclear smilies surrounding barrels of fire for warmth in YOUR BEHALF! They must love you.

I love you, too. Take care of yourself, come back to us healthy and whole. I'll be thinking of you often.

::hugs CT::

Posts: 14 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

((((((((((CT))))))))))

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, CT!!!! [Frown]

((((( CT )))))))

Take good care, take it easy and you are in my prayers.

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Look after yourself Sara, I'll be thinking about you! ((((CT)))))
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
((CT))
You have my prayers and best wishes. If I can do anything, just let me know.

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
CT, you are wise and you are courageous. You will have the strength and deep joy to face whatever comes.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ginette
Member # 852

- posted      Profile for ginette   Email ginette         Edit/Delete Post 
((((CT))))

Please CT, take all the time and care you need to recover and become well rested again.

Posts: 1247 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Thanks, everyone. I'm still playing the waiting game with my cardiologist, but my primary care physician "isn't too worried." (This may or may not be reassuring. [Big Grin] He's not much older than me, and he's not exactly strenuous on the details.)

I can feel the Hatrack love just pouring in, and my husband refuses to let me move heavy furniture. How can I lose? [Wave] Will update more as time goes on. Thanks again, deeply.

saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
To paraphrase Strong Bad: "A Hatrack without CT is scarcely a Hatrack at all."

Take care of yourself, CT. We're all pulling for you.

(((((CT)))))

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Dear, I hope you know how much to mean to Hatrack (me) and we hope for the very best for you. (((CT)))
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.