FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ryuko is real -- confirmed

Author Topic: Ryuko is real -- confirmed
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
dkw and I just had ice cream with Ryuko and her mom. It was in this really cool place in Minneapolis which has, among other things, garlic/almond ice cream. I'm not sure what it says about my personality, but I had two scoops of the stuff with hot fudge and whipped cream, with almond topping in a plastic boat-shaped bowl. And I wolfed it down. [Big Grin]

Anyway, Ryuko and her mom are really cool people. We had a good time talking about how much better the 1960's were than any decade most of you are familiar with.

Not that some of the people in our little group are old enough either.

Okay, let's face it, Ryuko's mom and I were reminiscing about the 60's.

I'm old.

Ryuko is a really neat person. She's attending university here in St. Paul and seems like a bright person (we'd expect no less of any Hatracker, of course). dkw, who is a woman of the cloth and therefore to be believed in all matters of confirming the reality of any given person will back me up when I assert that Ryuko is indeed real. 100% bona fide human being.

[Big Grin]

[Party]

I also had dinner with the dkw clan. They are a lot of fun. A real hoot! We cooked steaks in boiling oil. [Eek!]

Tasted great!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Is Ryuko's mom married? [Wink]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Why Ryyko's mom? Older man, younger woman and all? [Wink]

But, I thought he said he was taking a break from women, mac. Remember?

Glad you had a good time, Bob. Is that what you consider the midwest?

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy cow! Mack!!!

Um, yes, Ryuko's mom is married. To Ryuko's dad.

And from the sound of things they are happy together.

Although I haven't inependently confirmed his reality.

Sheesh!

(LOL)

And, yes, isn't this the Midwest???? Seems like it ought to be if it isn't.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
Woot! <sulks at all the hatrack get togethers she's missed>

Y'all should have called everybody! [Smile]

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
*Anxiously awaits Bob's analysis of his ice cream and topping choice. Expects to be riveted with lurid, fascinating detail.*

*Taps fingers on table impatiently*

*Chews on thumb*

"Please?"

[Big Grin]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Okay, let's face it, Ryuko's mom and I were reminiscing about the 60's.

I'm old.

Hey! Watch it there, Bob. I can reminisce about the 60s, and I'm not old. [Wink]

Well, I guess I probably am old. But that's okay. I'd hate to be a teenager again. Ick. Ptooie. Gross.

No offense, of course, to any of the teenagers here on the board. You guys are cool. [Cool] Its just that there isn't enough money in the known unvierse to make we want to go through that again. Once was quite enough, thanks.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel the same way, except I still am one.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
(revels in her realness)

quote:
And from the sound of things they are happy together.
What Bob didn't tell you about our mentioning my Dad was that everything we said about him was ragging on him in some way... Hehehe... It's nice to know that that's recognized as the sign of a happy family.

I had an excellent time, and I fully intend to somehow repay the favor of delicioso ice cream granted to me by Bob.

If anyone's interested in our choices...

Me: Dipped chocolate cone with coconut sprinkles, one scoop of caramel cinnamon ice cream.
My Mom: Dipped chocolate cone with heath sprinkles, one scoop of Mocha Latte ice cream.
dkw: I believe also had garlic almond chip on a normal, non-dipped cone.

It became too late to analyse our choices, as my mom had had an early day. She wished to say, however, that she was sorry if she dominated the conversation.

I'm glad she was there, though, because having her around prevented me from being quite so nervous, and spending the entire evening looking like this ----> [Blushing] (Though I did look like this for much of the evening.)

It was an excellent evening, an excellent repas, and excellent company! I hope to do it again someday. ^_^

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

I want to meet people!! (Yes, ak, I'm with you on that one)

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. Somehow I had this vision of a dragon-riding princess.

^=^<---Lame attempt at Ryoko style smilie.

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Ryuko,

You held your own in the conversation quite admirably, IMHO. At your age (something-ish) I was painfully shy and even when out on one date and laughed the whole time about NOTHING. And I mean NOTHING. My date stared at me like I was psychotic.

Oh well...

My point is that it was wonderful meeting you and that I had a great time all around. And yes, it was completely obvious that you come from a happy home and all that. Cool Stuff.

Your mom is a very interesting person and if she dominated the conversation (which I do not at all agree with) it was only because we wanted so much to hear what she had to say.

If that's her exhausted after a long day of work, I can't even imagine how much fun she is to be around when she's rested.

I loved her theory on how to counteract bad familial genes. [ROFL] It's probably correct too...

[Big Grin]

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
*cannot get over or imagine garlic and almond ice cream* ewwwww [Eek!]
But it's cool you all got to meet.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, fine, whatever. When you coming to SoCal, Bob? Apparently we need to plan things in advance, or nothing happens. Although I'd be happy to keep you all to myself, I think we need to plan a full-on Shinda while you're here.

<Jealous of Ryuko for having met Bob; considering not talking to her until he himself has met Bob, too.>

<Gets over it.>

Glad you had fun, Ryuko, and congratulations on being real. And can you share your mom's theory about counteracting bad familial genes? Mooselet and his little brother might need to know that.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
/me is now grumpy because he missed the Boston Hatrack picnic.

Bugger bugger bugger. [Grumble]

EDIT: I had ginger ice cream once, it was nice until I got through about half the cone (it was pretty big), then the taste was just too... ginger. It would've been nice if I had mixed it with vanilla or mint or something...

I can't imagine garlic ice cream. Uuch. *shivers* Maybe it's because I'm completely turned off by garlic since I had to clean up three broken bottles of minced garlic this summer at the grocery store...

[ September 20, 2003, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: WheatPuppet ]

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

quote:
Why Ryuko's mom? Older man, younger woman and all?
To this I have but this to say: No offense meant, Bob, but.... O_o;;;;;;;

And my mother's theory was thus: She's rather short, only 5' on her good days, so she married a tall man to counteract her shortness. ^_^ It worked on me, but we're still waiting on my brother and sister.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
<Jealous of Ryuko for having met Bob; considering not talking to her until he himself has met Bob, too.>

<Gets over it.>

Ditto, to be sure -- also jealous of Bob for having met Ryuko, but I spose I'll get over that too.

quote:
And can you share your mom's theory about counteracting bad familial genes? Mooselet and his little brother might need to know that.

[Confused] [Roll Eyes] Yeah, RIGHT.

LOL at you mom's theory, Ryuko. I had a friend of similar height in HS who swore that was her plan. She married a fairly short guy though. I like to tease her about that. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I confirm that Ryuko is indeed real and a lovely young woman. And her mom is very fun as well.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

I like reading about Hatrackers getting together. [Smile]

I like even better getting together with Hatrackers. [Big Grin]

**Ela**

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

rivka, btw, that's so awesome that you keep in touch with your friends from high school... Just thought I'd say that! [Smile]

*is always very impressed by this*

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*hesitates to shatter Raia's illusions*

Umm, well, I actually haven't spoken to that friend for a couple years. [Blushing] Now I'm gonna have to go fix that . . . [Wink]

But I do have a couple friends from HS that I am still in (frequent) contact with, and many that I speak to sporadically. It helps that I still live in the city where we went to school, as do most of their parents.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
wow. caramel cinnamon ice cream sounds like a godsend.

I really really want to try it. Aaaaahhhh!!

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
*cough*

If any hatrackers happen to come by southern Indiana, I'd love to meet them.

*cough*

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

That's awesome, rivka.

*coughs along with blacwolve*

sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
My grandfather once told me that the good days were all gone. I think that's one of the most depressing thing I've ever been told. Do people actually think the good days are all gone and that our generation or at least the younger generations don't have something better to look forward to?
Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

sarahd...

every generation looks back and laments the loss of what once was, and pities those who came along too late to experience all that they did. One day, you too will pity whole generations of people who haven't seen the world unfold and enjoyed the fun things that you have.

It's part of the curse of our pathetically finite existences.

On the other hand, you can laugh at gramps for not understanding how cool Hatrack is.

Tieko
Member # 5594

- posted      Profile for Tieko   Email Tieko         Edit/Delete Post 
::Hesitantly raises hand in Hatrack crowd::

Does this mean I am not real? Now the splinter of doubt has entered into my mind. Is it a necessity for realness to meet Bob, or another Hatrack family member? Or is it a gracious extra in life, only to enhance and add to ones existing realness?

Posts: 52 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Tieko dear, we're just silly. Here's the linkage to explain the lingo. [Smile]

And yes, everyone has to meet Bob. Otherwise, you can't be real. I haven't met Bob yet, so don't worry, you're not alone. [Big Grin]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tieko
Member # 5594

- posted      Profile for Tieko   Email Tieko         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. After reading all that it is now my belief that I am
quote:
just a figment of someone's twisted sociology experiment
This sadens me because it might be some time before my realness can be confirmed. Although I am happy for Ryuko, in that she is now real,and others, it concerns me that my illusions of reality might be just that. Am I distressed for no reason? Should I drive the where ever Bob lives and knock on his front door?
Posts: 52 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Meeting me is NOT required to achieve Hatrack reality. Meeting any "real" Hatracker does the trick. If they'll vouch for you, the committee will accept that as final. After that, you'll get a certificate of authenticity via whatever communication method is working best for us at that particular moment.

I'm still waiting for my carrier snail to arrive...

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
But we know Kama isn't real [Wink]
AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm still waiting for my carrier snail to arrive...
See, that's why you should have used a racing snail.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
"They look like good, strong hands, don't they?"

One of my favorite speeches in a movie ever.

Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

I thought the prerequisite was meeting at least two hatrackers...
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Vouched for by two, or meeting one, as I recall.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder exactly how many people here are real. It must be a good number, come to think of it.
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, jehovoid. I was really hoping someone would get that reference.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.