FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My Day at the Marc Chagall Exhibition

Author Topic: My Day at the Marc Chagall Exhibition
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
My sister and I spent yesterday in an unusually hot San Francisco at the SFMOMA, which is, luckily, air conditioned.

The line went around the block (of course) and, after touring the wonderful SFMOMA collection, we made it up to the fourth floor to wait in line for entrance to the fifth floor. Another 30 minute line.

Once I got over the herd mentality (moo.), I found it a transcending experience. If I have one word to say about the work, it's "breathtaking".

Afterwords, in the gift shop, a woman on the cell phone:

"...oh, and the line is 45 minutes long to get in, and John doesn't like lines, so we didn't go...."

Big mistake. I hate crowds, don't want anything to do with large masses of people crowded into a gallery, but this was a chance of a lifetime. It was worth sacrificing time for that. And that says much about how good the show was!

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I almost saw a Chagall exhibition in the Grand Palais when I was in Paris, but it ended the day after we arrived, so we didn't get to. It was very sad.

But sounds awesome, Erik!

[The Wave]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

Well, I did have to put up with the sound tour guys. They kept standing around getting in the way. And the philistenes.

One older lady, who obviously did not think much of modern art, saw a wonderful painting of a table with a miniature nude under it (sorry, the catalog was $60.00, so I can't remember the name) and had to interject "Too much vodka, I guess."

As she moved away, I had to comment "Maybe not enough!"

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Chagall Windows
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw those originals in Israel. They're beautiful!
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the Chagall Windows are spectacular, as is almost all of his work. I wonder if this traveling exhibit is the one I saw in Israel (when it was about to start touring, iirc) some ten years ago? It must have some of the same paintings, surely.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember seeing those!
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
I spent countless hours at the Chagall museum in Nice. Great stuff.
Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sal
Member # 3758

- posted      Profile for Sal           Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Chagall's 100th birthday exhibition at Moscow's Pushkin Museum

And the windows of St. Etienne (?) in Metz.

Yum.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seriousfun
Member # 4732

- posted      Profile for seriousfun   Email seriousfun         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the exhibit in SF two weeks ago. Luckily, my girlfriend had bought tickes in advance and we waltzed right in past the 45 minute line.

The show was great, and we found ways to squeeze past the audio tour zombies.

There was a small free exhibit on a lower floor with some Chagalls that were not upstairs.

It was not clearly signed how we could get in with our advance tickets, but we had the brains to ask.

Two women in their late 60s/early 70s got to the head of the line as we were leaving and were told "Oh, you had tickets? You could have gone right in!" [Frown]

Posts: 86 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

It actually wasn't too bad waiting, as we had come early in the day. When we got there and saw the line, however, we had wished that we had pre-purchased.

We did have the luck of parking all day in a lot only four blocks away for $5.00. It pays to take the old beat-up Blazer. No one messes with it.

I've actually pulled out my sketchpad and started working on something I've been calling "Restricted Access". I still wish that I had brought a camera, but I knew they wouldn't have been allowed in the gallery. I wanted to use it on the line in the stairs. It was great people watching!

Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

Annie Bump!
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I have a book on Chagall, so there.

I guess I can't complain too loudly since I did just find out that my friend and I are definitely going to France next May. I'm getting art-history goosebumps just thinking about it.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

Wow. The Louvre. That trumps me! Still, I've been getting great ideas since going.

I'm not sure whether or not I'm ready to stretch canvas again, however....

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
The Louvre is so passe. I'm all about the Beaubourg, baby! And Pont-Aven in Britanny... sigh. Now there's an art town for you.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

::envy::
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a volunteer at the museum. I would have been there that Saturday but the Thursday before was my last day before school started.. ::semi-frustration::
Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
If I'd only known there was a Hatracker within 50 miles....

What part of the museum do you work in?

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

There are a few Jatraqueros in the Bay Area. Zalmoxis and Graywolfe come to mind.. I'm more than fifty miles away for now though: Davis.

I was at the MuseumStore for about a month. Twas fun. I might be there over Christmas or next summer.

Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
i live on the outskirts of the bay area; i try to get into SF every once in a while.
Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

You know, your profile says you're on the east coast..
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

More bay area people here than I thought, then...
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
*envies Annie as well* The Louvre decided to strike for a 35 hour work week during my visit to Paris! Consequently, every other museum in the area closed its doors and struck with them! Although, they at least opened one day per week so that we were able to see the Orsay at least.

The Chagall exhibit sounds fabulous! Glad you decided to muscle the crowds and go!

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.