FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Women's Dresses and Modesty, or the Lack Thereof (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Women's Dresses and Modesty, or the Lack Thereof
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I know, Banna. What's more, I'm the last person in the world who needs to be making any kind of criticism about how anyone else posts. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I take offense to that, Storm.

[Razz]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Now you have cwushed my wittle spiwit, you howwible person. [Cry]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
How offensive Storm! Think of how the people with speech impediments must be feeling right now! That's vewy, vewy WUDE!

Just ask Ralphie.

Oh, just for the record, I've decided that any use of the indefinite article is personally offensive. I will expect everyone to modify their writing style so as not to offend me.

You've been warned.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh]
Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
In terms of girlfriend or boyfriend terms, I don't like them at all.

I prefer sweetheart. Not too gushy, a little old-fashioned, gender-interchangeable (both can use it), and indicative of, I think, respect. I like it.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer "Get back in the kitchen and make me a pot-pie!" to signal who has my loyalty and love.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
<Goes sheepishly back to kitchen to make a pot-pie.>
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
I have so many older patients who use the term "ladyfriend" that I am sort of neutral about the word now. I didn't like it much at first.

I used to have a pet bird, a lovebird. Once or twice I commented to other people that I had a lovebird and they thought I meant a boyfriend!

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

<hopes Ralphie and my Steve never ever meet, because I'm a horrible pot pie cook>

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
You guys! How could you be so insensitive? Your posts have been positively peppered with indefinite articles ever since I said that I found them offensive. You're doing this on purpose, aren't you?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Except for Ralphie. She's the only one of us who is respectful. [Smile]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn straight.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

I like the term 'sweetheart', too, Kat. I guess 'my bitch/ho' are right out, eh? [Razz]

I guess if I were to think of a term that I've heard that people do use that I find a little distasteful it's 'my old lady/man'. [Angst]

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*pat pat* I'd never use those other terms; they're Ralphie's pet names for you.

Agreed about the other terms - those suck. They are also confusing "my old lady" is an amor, but "my old man" is a father. That's.... creepy.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Heh. It's funny because it's true. [Smile]
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a song for all you sweethearts *insert lots of nasal twang for the correct effect:

"Put another log on the fire
Cook me up some bacon and some beans
Go out to the car
and lift it up
and change the tire -
Wash my socks and sew my old blue jeans.
C'mon baby, you can
fill my pipe and then go fetch my slippers,
and boil me up another pot of tea
and put another log on the fire, babe
and come and tell me why your leaving me."

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Ain't I always nice to your kid sister?
Don't I take her driving Friday night?
So sit here at my feet
'cause I like it when you're sweet,
and you know that it ain't feminine to fight!

[Big Grin]

[ September 26, 2003, 09:37 AM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I’ve heard that little tune once too often
And I’m tired of work so he can get ahead
As I calmly laid aside my kitchen apron
I sat by him and smiling sweetly said . . .

For ten long years I’ve kept the fire going
But recently I’ve been thinking twice
About beans and jeans and cars and pipes and bacon
And names you call me that ain’t very nice.

I’ve always kind of liked your younger brother
We put the fire in each other’s eyes
And he always treats me like I’m something pretty darned special
And his moving parts aren’t always cold as ice.

We’re moving to Sheboygan come next Friday
I’m telling you, I thought you’d want to know.
So don’t bother with that log on the fire, babe,
The flame went out a long, long time ago.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

I feel it necessary to inform Hatrack that I am having a panic attack. We have to attend a wedding in Ohio tomorrow and I have nothing to wear! I suddenly thought about it late last night and realized I have exactly this evening to shop for a dress.

The last wedding I went to was in the spring in Houston, and so the attire was entirely different because of weather constraints.

I have some more formal clothes, but they are generally my dog show attire, which aren't quite wedding caliber. Dog shows require an interesting style of dressing that you don't reallly see anywhere else, such as semi-formal but with lots of pockets and tennis shoes so that you can run to gait the dogs and have pockets for storing treats. Only a few like Westminster are you actually dressed up in evening dress. Guys have it easier there to, because a jacket and slacks are perfectly acceptable, while for women it is a bit more difficult.

[Grumble] [Confused] [Eek!] [Mad] [Frown]

AJ

Jeffrey Getzin
Member # 1972

- posted      Profile for Jeffrey Getzin           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't panic. Go to a nice clothing store, find a saleswoman who you think is well-dressed (and preferably built like you) and ask her for some recommendations. You may have to go to a couple of stores.

If you've got the cash, Neiman Marcus, Saks 5th Avenue, and Brooks Brothers will all have good possibilities for you.

Jeff

Posts: 1692 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Having the cash is, of course, a bit of an issue. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Get back in your box, newbie!
::Hasn't been posting because has been firmly in her box::

Can I come out now?

[Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
No.

*thwap*

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

::feeds newbie through hole in box::

[Big Grin]

Shan
Member # 4550

Icarus! Of course you would know the rest of that song! [Razz]

Phew

*beginning to think I had horribly offended the entire Hatrack crowd*

AJ - I was going to tell you to go to the nice thread on clothing when I remembered that's where I was! Good luck - I don't suppose they're having a county western style wedding and new blue jeans and your favorite hat and boots would do . . .

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

Hey! You got sauce all over me! Be careful with that feeding....
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
That wasn't sauce.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

you're lucky you got fed - don't complain

*scowls*

{edited for mack - ewwwwwww}

[ September 28, 2003, 10:17 PM: Message edited by: Shan ]

imogen
Member # 5485

:: retreats to far corner of box, far away from feeding hole::

I second that eeeew!

Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Get back in your box, newbie!
Wow, I started a hatrack meme! I'm so proud.

Anyway, this thread was very interesting to read all at once. I'm not gonna state my opinions because this topic has pretty much run its course, but it was definitly an interesting read.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Well thanks for sharing then!

[Roll Eyes]

[Wink] [Wink] [Wink]

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.