FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Utahns can multiply, but they can't pluralize

Author Topic: Utahns can multiply, but they can't pluralize
Diosmel Duda
Member # 2180

- posted      Profile for Diosmel Duda   Email Diosmel Duda         Edit/Delete Post 
There's this growing trend in Provo in particular to pluralize word's by adding an apostrophe before the s. In the past few year's--even in the last year--I've noticed more and more sign's that sport this atrocious mistake. I thought it was just a weird Utah thing, laughed a little, and left it at that. But more recently, I've noticed the apostrophe's showing up in place's other than Utah. I understand that language's change and that people will constantly butcher them until the end of time. However, this is one change I'll not take lying down. Please, spread the word: if you want to add an s to pluralize something, just add it. No apostrophe is necessary. This even goes for date's (the 1900s). Let's not confuse the many children in Utah and around the United State's about possessive and plural.

[/heated rant]

Jon Boy's not the only editor in the family. [Big Grin]

[ September 27, 2003, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: Diosmel Duda ]

Posts: 537 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so with you... that's one of the things that annoys the crap out of me.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with you, I hate that.

But when referring to decades, 60s 70s 80s 90s just looks wrong. Is it just me?

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
It happens all the time here in California, too. Drives me absolutely batty. I've given up trying to convince anyone that it is an incorrect usage. More than once, I've been told that I'm absolutely wrong and that the signs are perfectly correct. Sheesh. What are they teaching them in school these days?
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
The interesting thing is that I'm noticing more and more possessives without an apostrophe. Very odd.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, seeing that title, am I the only one who thought of something OTHER than grammar and punctuation?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Floridas sign's don't have the same problem. Must be one of those thing's on the West Coast.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem lies in it's and its.

It's is a contraction of it is.

Its is possessive, but has no apostraphe.

Bizarro.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
mack, I hear ya. [Smile] A thread with this title started by one of our resident newlywed's. I have to say that I was slightly disappointed. [Wink]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Sheesh. Don't you people know how to recognize a double-entendre?
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Now I can. [Smile]
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the problem's with pluralization were another one of those hick Montana thing's.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, mackillian, I did think the title refered to 'breed and be intolerant of others'.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Morbo:

That's because it's '60s '70s etc. It's just like with contractions the '19' is replaced by the apostrophe.

------
I guess technically 1920's would be the year claiming a possessive. But I've never seen usage like that. Has anyone seen that used appropriately?

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was referring to the lack of binary fission as a reproduction method among Utahns. I had noticed that too and wondered what was up.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
hahahahahaha

I actually told the McDonald's guy last night that the word "sandwhiche's" scrolling at the bottom of thier new order review machine at the drive though was not only not possessive, but spelled wrong to boot! Yes, that's exactly how it was spelled: "Try one of our new McGriddle Sandwhiche's!"

H said it had been there for weeks, that he'd never noticed it, and that I was the first person to comment. Dummies.

[Edited for spelling error.]

[ September 28, 2003, 11:44 AM: Message edited by: Boon ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I actually told the McDonald's guy last night that the word "sandwhiche's" scrolling at the bottom of thier new order review machine at the drive though was not only not possessive, but spelled wrong to boot! Yes, that's exactly how it was spelled: "Try one of our new McGriddle Sandwhiche's!"

This so reminds me of the Wendy's I go into sometimes. They have one of those scrolling electronic message boards over the counter. It runs trivia questions and advertises the drive-thru (which bugs me enough as it is). The problem is, what it actually says is "drive-though". Drive as though what? I mentioned the misspelling, and they acted like it was no big deal, and that I was kind of freakish for actually knowing the difference.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I get it. I'm leaving the rest of the mistakes in my post how they are. I'm sorry, my brain is not functioning very well today. Regardless of the spelling in the post though, the story stands.

[Taunt]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethics Gradient
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Ethics Gradient   Email Ethics Gradient         Edit/Delete Post 
What is more worrying? The shopkeeper who can't spell the name of their shop correctly... Or the signwriter who doesn't know how to use an apostrophe well enough to correct them?!

[Grumble]

Posts: 2945 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Though it wouldn't work well for chains/franchises...
...misspelling, misuse of grammar, and "unintentionally" humorous messages are great guerilla advertising techniques for small businesses.
Get a lot of people going into the business just to tell the workers/management that the sign is wrong. And a person in the door is a lot more likely to become a customer than one who passes by, never noticing the place.
If you're lucky, you'll even get mentioned in the local/regional newspapers; many/most having columns specifically devoted to picking up such oddball/humorous sightings around town.

[ September 29, 2003, 12:24 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lerris
Member # 3530

- posted      Profile for Lerris           Edit/Delete Post 
Time for Bob the Angry Flower to save the day!

Be one of those guerrilla marketing people, you know the ones that slap the eating meat sticker under the stop sign, and post this all over the place.

Lerris

Posts: 81 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Mack:
quote:
You know, seeing that title, am I the only one who thought of something OTHER than grammar and punctuation?
Thank you! My first thought was an announcement. Since it wouldn't be a wedding announcement unless the Boys plan on moving to Beaver, Utah, I thought it was the "I'm pregnant." announcement.

[ September 29, 2003, 04:44 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Lerris I love it!!!!

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Kat. I figured it'd be "I'm pregnant and I'm not going to marry anyone ELSE" or something.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sweet William
Member # 5212

- posted      Profile for Sweet William           Edit/Delete Post 
In rare occasions, one may quite correctly create a plural by using the 's:

quote:

Usage with regard to forming the plurals of letters, numbers, and abbreviations varies somewhat. In some cases you have a choice between adding -s or -’s, although the trend is increasingly to add -s alone: three As or three A’s; the ABCs or the ABC’s; the 1900s or the 1900’s; PhDs or PhD’s; several IOUs or several IOU’s. With lowercase letters, symbols, abbreviations with periods, and in cases where confusion might arise without an apostrophe, use -’s to form the plural: p’s and q’s; +’s; -’s; M.A.’s; A’s and I’s; 2’s. Mainly your goal is to be as clear as possible and avoid confusion. 23
The plural of a word being used as a word is indicated by -’s: underline all the but’s. Note that in typed or typeset copy, only the word but would appear in italics (the apostrophe and the s would be in regular type).

From this web site:
http://www.bartleby.com/64/81.html

But whatever you do, DO NOT, forget to underline the but's.

Posts: 524 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! There hasn't been pluralization in Utah since the turn of the century! [Roll Eyes] I'm sick and tired of all the polygamy jokes already. [No No]
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
I thought it was the "I'm pregnant." announcement.
O_o

Am I the only one who knew exactly what the title meant? (And no, my wife didn't tell me what it was about before I read it.) It's really not that complicated. It's just a simple pun: Utahns have lots of kids, but they can't form plurals of words. Sheesh, people.

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem is that in respect to cognitive functions, only half the title was a pun. In respect to religious language, the other half of the title was a pun. Mack and I just assumed the entire title either was or was not a pun. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diosmel Duda
Member # 2180

- posted      Profile for Diosmel Duda   Email Diosmel Duda         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! I intended some of the eye-popping confusion to get you all to open my thread (yes, it's shameless; I know), but you lot are a whole bunch more creative than I am in finding shocking possibilities in such a short sentence. [Smile] As a person who loves to confuse people just for the fun of it, I am pleased with my handiwork. *bows*

A pregnancy announcement? Maybe the confusion works both ways . . . [Eek!]

Posts: 537 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.