FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Looking for jatraquero input

Author Topic: Looking for jatraquero input
Jexxster
Member # 5293

- posted      Profile for Jexxster   Email Jexxster         Edit/Delete Post 
Well gang, I thought I would ask those with the time and inclination to read a little slice of fiction I wrote. Just remember it is in a rough state. Not really looking for detailed criticism (though you are welcome to offer it), just trying to get overall opinions on what I have started here.

You can read it here if you so choose. Thanks all.

Posts: 240 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It's too short, which makes it read like a glossary.

What I mean is this: you're trying to define too many terms and convey too much setting information in a very short piece. When half of your sentences are exposition defining a term you used at the beginning of the sentence, that means you're packing too much in. [Smile]

Either make the story MUCH longer, which gives you the opportunity to introduce terms and objects at leisure, or don't bother with definitions and trust your audience to figure out your broad intent from context.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jexxster
Member # 5293

- posted      Profile for Jexxster   Email Jexxster         Edit/Delete Post 
Good points. I suppose I should just mention that this is a prologue to a much larger work. I have been struggling to decide what to define at this point and what to leave for later in the story. I will take that into consideration.
Posts: 240 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Thats what it seems like to me. A prologue, where you aren't supposed to quite understand everything yet, but it lays the groundwork for what is coming later. (I'm guessing the re-discovery of the magic)

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.