FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A BAD day for gamers! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: A BAD day for gamers!
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I am a programming n00b. My last programming attempt went something along the lines of:

10 Print "Dan"
20 Goto 10

Not a lot of fun as games go, so please answer some questions for me in nice simple language.

1)With the sourcecode could a competitor create Pitchfork, a Halo-clone like game at half the cost (since they don't have to pay programmers to create the source code)? With Halo2 selling for $49.95, and Pitchfork selling for $24.95 the makers of Halo will loose sales.

2) With the source code it is suggested that on-line play or lan play will be rife with cheaters. While I am running around with my pistol of limited ammo, Joe Cheater types loads his Halo Hack that comes equipped with Rocket Launchers with Unlimited Ammo. Soon I will switch to playing games where I am not out gunned everytime I log on. The fear that this might happen will hurt Halo sales.

3) Would the source code allow Hacker Hal to create illegal Halo2 copies or to get around any copy protection on the disk?

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ikantspel
Member # 5752

- posted      Profile for ikantspel   Email ikantspel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There are also components to the source code that reveals new weapons, and work already completed on several mods. While some people might think, "big deal", there is a high stakes game happening this fall with several prominent titles vying for the gamers dollar. This is a painful blow to Valve. µ
I think this also may mean that people with the source code could cheat on games and mods which are based on H2 (there are bound to be many games, judging by the number of mods for the original half life)
Posts: 190 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
On the note of cheaters... This past week, Battlenet just banned 400,000 (four HUNDRED THOUSAND) accounts for cheating and had banned 100,000 the week before. Half a million cheating accounts?!?!?!?!

Half a million unskilled weenies without their daily gaming fix and aimbots. Awwwww, so sad.

Heck, it was so bad on America's Armies that they had to come out with a Punkbuster patch to prevent cheating. It probably worked for about a week.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ikantspel
Member # 5752

- posted      Profile for ikantspel   Email ikantspel         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a filthy cheater, but ONLY during single player games. People who cheat during multiplayer piss me off. HALF A MILLION! THAT GIVES ME THE URGE TO TYPE IN ALL CAPS.
(That's wierd, I was just trying to be funny, I didn't know that you actually had typed in all caps...whatever)

[ October 03, 2003, 08:26 AM: Message edited by: ikantspel ]

Posts: 190 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slacker
Member # 2559

- posted      Profile for slacker   Email slacker         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Would the source code allow Hacker Hal to create illegal Halo2 copies or to get around any copy protection on the disk?
People already get past the copy protections on their games already w/o the sourcecode. Check out gamecopyworld for an example of this.

I don't think it's bad that I can crack the copy protection on the games that I've bought (or applications). I like the fact that I can make an image on my hard drive, then play the game without having to locate the stupid cd (I've only got like 500 of them), and I don't have to worry about losing the CD (and the game) and having to buy it all over again.

Then again, I am stuck looking for my simcity 4 disks, as I need to reinstall it, and I labelled the disks wrong. [Mad]

Posts: 851 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Valve, especially, does not deserve this.
Did you read the same astonishing list of security breaches? No doubt the perpetrators were very good at what they were doing, but even more obvious is how badly Valve's management failed. Our (apparently) beloved coders won't lose anything from this in the long run, but their administrative staff did everything short of literally asking for it -- and deserves the axe.

[ October 04, 2003, 01:50 AM: Message edited by: Richard Berg ]

Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
What is with people these days? Whenever something goes wrong, we have to find someone to decapitate for it? Come on, no matter what draconian security policies you implement, there is a chance that someone will slip past them. I personally am glad I DON'T work at a company that treats all its contacts and employees like potential criminals.

There's a point where you really need to blame the criminal for the crime, and not the victim for failing to protect himself.

Anyway, it looks like VALVe is going to delay Half-life 2 — http://pc.ign.com/articles/453/453424p1.html

So thanks a lot, Mr. Hacker. You got your useless source code, and now none of us can play the game for another four months. I have no idea if VALVe is getting paid for the extra time, either. Suck suck suck.

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jexxster
Member # 5293

- posted      Profile for Jexxster   Email Jexxster         Edit/Delete Post 
Folks, it just keeps getting worse:

http://neowin.net/comments.php?id=14249&category=main#comments

Yep, it would appear that a beta has now been leaked far and wide. April 2004? At this rate that may even be optimistic.

Posts: 240 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if Valve will be hiring for new security engineers. . .

'Cause I know one.

[Smile]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.