FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » So many apples, so little time - again! (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: So many apples, so little time - again!
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
Really? How strange. One of the things I liked about the Ashmead's was how crisp it was. I dislike soft apples, like Red Deliciouses, or even Macs. Perhaps it depends what season it's picked (is that what "winter tender" means?), or maybe you got an old one. That's too bad. Try this one again someday if you get the chance though. It's better crisp.
Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Macs are crisp as can be around here, but only in the early fall when they are freshly picked.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
King David Believed to be a Jonathan/Arkansas Black cross. Medium sized. Dark red coat. Very good quality. Distinctive flavor, a blend of its parent's strengths. Not an especially good keeper. Nearly a century ago, the famous Stark Bros' Nursery predicted that King David would replace Jonathan. Didn't happen.

Our review: boring flavor, except the aftertaste, which is pleasantly sour. Not as mealy as the first one, but still pretty bad.

So far I am not pleased with this purchase. Either these are yucky varieties or they're out of season and not good keepers. Either way, not worth the money, even for the novelty.

(When I get to the Honey Crisp I'll know -- I've eaten hundreds of them and never had a bad one. If this one sucks it will be obvious that the company employs some weird alien packing clerk who sucks the goodness out of apples.)

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Liz, you know you probably have Oral Allergy Syndrome, right? (i.e., it isn't all in your head -- which you probably guessed! -- and there is both a name for it an possible treatment, as well as things to avoid)

I can't remember if we've talked about it or if you mentioned it. *sigh

I am getting so old.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Melrose An outstanding Jonathan/Red Delicious cross combining the rich flavor of Jonathon and the crisp juicy texture and sweetness of Red Delicious [?!]. Round shape, dull red color. Larger than Jonathan and a better keeper. A "best" for caramel apples.

Our review: not as mealy as the Ashmead's, but not crisp. Dull flavor. Taste/texture like a fairly good Red Delicious (which ain't sayin' much).

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.