FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Actors, actresses, and predicting a good movie (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Actors, actresses, and predicting a good movie
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, a certain actor or actress being in a movie doesn't guarantee that the movie will be good... but it does seem like certain ones tend to appear in more good movies than bad. Ones I can think of = Johnny Depp, John Cusack, and Holly Hunter.

Any other nominations?

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom Hanks.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
and I second John Cusak.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Jack Nicholson
Anjelica Huston

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Christopher Guest
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
De Niro.
Pacino.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
*cough*AnalyzeThis*cough*

*cough*S1m0ne*cough*

[ October 09, 2003, 03:43 PM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Denzel Washington
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
*Barfs up " but it does seem like certain ones tend to appear in more good movies than bad."**

*old man coughing noises*Ricochet, Virtuosity, John Q, Mother Goose: A Rappin' and Rhymin' Special (1997) (TV) *more coughing*

[ October 09, 2003, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Rob Schnyder. Oh, wait. No. The opposite of Rob Schnyder.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
Marilyn Chambers never made a bad movie. [Big Grin]

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
I must admit, over the past two or so years I have started getting excited for movies solely on who was going to be in them. I just get excited with the combinations of actors and actresses. [Big Grin] Like, before I heard anything about Pirates of the Caribbean I was excited to see Orlando Bloom and Johnny Depp together. Some others have been Ocean's 11 for George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Julia Roberts, and Matt Damon, and Down With Love with Ewan McGregor and Renee Zellwegger. The best part is, I enjoyed them all! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Oliver Plath (sp?), John Toturo (am I butchering names here???) are good choices.

But I've seen some actor combinations that one paper oughtta work great but on film, blech! I mean, I actually paid to see Ishtar in the theater.

Come to think of it, I paid bucks to see that duo again in Dick Tracy ... Will I ever learn?

Edit to add: Paul Newman is generally a sure bet, as was Kirk Douglas. Michael Douglas... ehhh not such a sure bet.

[ October 09, 2003, 07:19 PM: Message edited by: Sopwith ]

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe no one mentioned Sean Connery!
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Icarus, Analyze This was laugh your ass off funny.

*thwap*

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Har. Eruve, I refuse to mention Connery because of the horror of a movie known as The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. I refuse to write the acronym because it's become a swear word to me...
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

Actually, I've found Sean Connery to be, well, hit and miss. Sometimes he's good, sometimes he's bad.

A local radio show, John Boy and Billy (they're nationally syndicated, but local here) regularly do Sean Connery/Mr. Sulu theater, which cracks me up. Imagine the voices of Sean Connery and Mr. Sulu doing scenes from: When Harry Met Sally (the deli scene), A Few Good Men and The Empire Strikes Back. There's also the Sean Connery/Mr. Sulu version of Lou Reed's Take a Walk on the Wild Side that brings me to the floor every time.

I've also got a friend who does an impression of Sean Connery as the guy from The Crocodile Hunter. It just cracks me up that it works so well.

[ October 09, 2003, 07:27 PM: Message edited by: Sopwith ]

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taberah
Member # 4014

- posted      Profile for Taberah           Edit/Delete Post 
I think that actors and actresses can be excused for being in bad movies early in their career. At that point, you're trying really hard to make a name for yourself and hopefully put some food on the table.

As time progresses, you can afford to be more choosy. I think that there are certain actors who have gotten good at picking scripts once their career matured. I think that Brad Pitt is one such actor. He made his name as a pretty-boy, but most of his roles require much, much more than eye-candy status. He worked for peanuts in Snatch because he liked the script, but knew they could not afford him at his usual asking price.

I generally like anything that Mel Gibson is in nowadays, especially if he's directing.

Posts: 224 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Sean Connery is a great actor. I guess a few of his movies flopped, though. I just love his accent....
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taberah
Member # 4014

- posted      Profile for Taberah           Edit/Delete Post 
Sopwith- John Boy and Billy are awesome. I live not too far from you . . .

[ October 09, 2003, 07:31 PM: Message edited by: Taberah ]

Posts: 224 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

And that's fine news to hear! [Big Grin]

'tis a wonderful lil spot in the world, nestled between the mountains and the sea that has made a wee happy home for me.

MaureenJanay
Member # 2935

- posted      Profile for MaureenJanay   Email MaureenJanay         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Taberah, that's what I was going to say.

Some people are more concerned with being in a GOOD movie rather than a blockbuster, because they know that that's what will keep them in the business for a long time. Nothing makes someone a laughing stock more quickly than being the lead in a supposed "blockbuster" that crashes and burns.

Posts: 264 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

OOH! OOH! Mel Gibson! Every movie I can think of that he was in was good. Well, maybe there were too many Lethal Weapons, but his movies are still great! (and I like his accent, too....)
Enigma
Member # 4005

- posted      Profile for Enigma   Email Enigma         Edit/Delete Post 
Mel Gibson and Johnny Depp

Even though every film Depp is in isn’t necessarily wonderful, he does a fantastic job in all of them. Actors can’t always chose what is done with their work, so sometimes it ends up being butchered even if it was originally beautiful.
I know this is old news, but I can’t help but saying that Depp was what made Pirates of the Caribbean worth watching. [Wink]

Posts: 21 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

I agree with Enigma. Johnny Depp is a great actor. He played jack Sparrow really well, I thought he was the best character in the movie.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Emily Watson. Am I the only one who knows what a fantastic actress she is?
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

Audrey Hepburn.
Well, in the "old days", anyway.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
do Sean Connery/Mr. Sulu theater
Any reason Sean Connery gets his actual name, while George Takei does not? He has done a lot more than the one role.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Harrison Ford had a nearly spotless record, until "Six Days, Seven Nights". Since then he's had narry a decent flick. Sad, really.

I thought the same about Jackie Chan, too, up until "Shanghai Noon" and "Gorgeous". The former was mediocre, the latter really bad, and every movie since has been worse than the last.

[Cry]

I wish Bruce Campbell would be in more movies, so that I could a more blanket statement, but I've liked everything I've ever seen him in, even though it's usually just cameos.

And I know there are several exceptions, but I tend to like John Goodman whenever he turns up in a movie. Especially the Cohen Brothers stuff, and True Stories.

[edit: Oh, yeah, and Cary Grant.]

[ October 10, 2003, 04:09 PM: Message edited by: Speed ]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigma
Member # 4005

Yes, Harrison Ford had a great record until then, I totally agree with that, Speed. It is sad... [Cry]
Posts: 21 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigma
Member # 4005

Just curious, Speed, but how did you happen to chose your name?
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Emily Watson is brilliant.

Christian Bale
Cate Blanchett

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.genepool.addr.com/movie.html

This thread screamed for this link. I've posted it before.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

I guess with George Takei, they just go with the name most people would recognize. [Smile]
Noemon
Member # 1115

Sorry mac, I'm going to have to go with Icarus on Analyze This. Awful, awful movie. I went into it expecting to like it, thinking that with Billy Crystal and Robert DeNiro in it it couldn't fail to be great. It managed it.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
WOW! Mrs. M, you have great taste. Christian Bale and Cate Blanchet are both great actors who make non-blockbuster movies.

I generally enjoy Ewan McGregor movies, but I'm not sure if it's because of his acting. I think he has some trouble with accents, here and there. Especially American Southern accents, which has me a little worried about BIg Fish.

But it IS a Tim Burton movie, so I may be able to get Ron to go with me to see it even though it has "Weenie McGregor" in it. [Big Grin]

I think Director and writers have a lot to do with how good a movie is. I'd place bets on about anything Pixar's team manages. There hasn't been a real stinker in the bunch, yet. BECAUSE they make sure they have a good story to start with.

But then, I would have thought Hulk would have been better than it was, given that Ang Lee has always done good work in the past. Who knows?

Disney movies generally suck, but Pirates of the Carribean didn't (and that one just SOUNDED like a really Bad Idea, from the start).

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

Olivet, I completely agree with you about Ewan McGregor. I didn't list him b/c of the Star Wars movies (not that he was bad, but the movies certainly were) and Black Hawk Down. You could tell that both him and Orlando Bloom were trying, but I clearly heard both of their accents and it ruined the scene for me. I can't imagine Ewan McGregor doing a Southern accent without much intensive training. Cate Blanchett did a pretty good job in The Gift - much better than Katie Holmes, who is American. I can't wait to see Veronica Guerin.

Christian Bale is the master of accents - I have only heard him slip once. It was in Laurel Canyon, when he was having a screaming fight with Frances McDormand. I am very interested to see him as Batman.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
See, I like Ewan McGregor's "southern" accent considerably more than I like actual male southern accents. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

You know who does an amazing American accent? Bob Hoskins. My first exposure to him was in Roger Rabbit, and I was floored when I later found out that he was British.
naledge
Member # 392

- posted      Profile for naledge   Email naledge         Edit/Delete Post 
Nal politely nudges Morbo and *coughs*

Training Day
Malcom X
The Hurricane
A Soldier's STory
Glory
Crimson Tide
Remember the Titans
Antwoine Fisher
A Pelican Brief
Cry Freedom
Philadelphia
Courage under Fire, etc...

Posts: 155 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Mm, Frances McDormand, does she correlate well with good movies? I've liked her in all the movies I've seen that she's in (Laurel Canyon, Almost Famous, Fargo)
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Screw you both.

When you work in the field, it's damn a damn funny movie. [Smile]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
What about Jason Statham?
he's extremely cool.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

*sarcsm*
Kevin Costner
*sarcasm*
(unless you WANT the movie to flop....)

Scythrop
Member # 5731

- posted      Profile for Scythrop   Email Scythrop         Edit/Delete Post 
Have to mention Tim Robbins and Sean Penn.

I reckon that these two have been involved in some of the most memorable / powerful films I've ever watched, And I'd be interested to get other people's opinions.

Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Good call on the Jason Statham. I can't think of a movie I've ever seen him in that I really didn't like.

Of course, Snatch and Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels were great.

Even The Italian Job wasn't bad, for a big-budget Mark Wahlberg blockbuster type.

I think I'm one of the only people in the world that actually liked The One , although getting him to try to do an American accent was a huge mistake.

And even though The Transporter had one of the worst plots/ screenplays I've ever seen, even in an action movie, I was really impressed with him in it. I'd never even imagined him in an action hero role. But he was fast, flexible, and looked like he could beat the living crap out of just about any other current American action star. And he can act, too. Who'd have guessed?

So, yeah, kwsni, I have to agree with you on that one.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

- posted      Profile for graywolfe   Email graywolfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Statham was good in "The Transporter", but the film actually sucked.

Two one's that come to mind for me are Russell Crowe and Kevin Spacey. Kevin Spacey has had a few stinkers, but check out these movies in odd numbered years: in '95 he stars in both Seven, and The Usual Suspects, the latter considered by me to be one of the best films of the nineties, and a film that did win him an Oscar if I remember right. In '97 he stars in the equally brilliant LA Confidential, perhaps a better movie, and more amazing yet, his acting in his death scene is probably the best death scene ever (with the possible acception of Marlon Brando's Vito Corleone in The Godfather)recorded on film. In '99 he wins praise all around for his role in the classic, "American Beauty." Absolutely amazing. He also did a very nice job chewing up scenery in the bizarre Swimming with Sharks in '95 as well.

Russell Crowe also has an amazing history. He's had a few stinkers here and there, but Romper Stomper, LA Confidential, The Insider, A Beautiful Mind, and The Gladiator were all terrific. His acting in the films I saw amongst those, Confidential, Insider, Beautiful Mind and The Gladiator were all nearly flawless, beautifully executed performances. I don't know what to say about the man, obviously he has issues, but no one can doubt his ability to act, and act quite brilliantly.

Right now, I have to admit, I probably appreciate Carey Grant most. Watching some of his old films on AMC, and TMC's at my folks place in August, it just reminded me of what a glorious period the forties and the fifties were for actors, so many great ones, so darn many of them. Today we probably have more good one's than we did back then, but I'm not so sure we have as many great ones, as many actors like Carey Grant, who were so enjoyable not just in their roles, but just acting in principle, that you just wanted to see them, regardless of what they were in.

Additionally Ralph Fiennes is a nice addition to the list as well. his movies aren't always good, but they are nearly always interesting, and there is something about Jim Caviezel that makes he think great things could be in his future. He made Angel Eyes watchable, and was terrific in The Thin Red Line.

As for actresses, Cate Blanchette is great, and there are a few others, for instance Julianne Moore.

Anyway, that's my take. And Audrey Hepburn is a dream, in anything, anytime, anywhere, just sit down and watch [Smile] .

[ October 12, 2003, 02:14 AM: Message edited by: graywolfe ]

Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
Here are a few actors whose very presence make me want to watch the movie:
Morgan Freeman
Gene Hackman
Tim Robbins
Tommy Lee Jones
Fred Estaire
Richard Dreyfuss
Robert Redford
Walter Matthau
Will Smith
Gregory Peck
Jimmy Stuart
Meg Ryan
(surprisingly) Jennifer Aniston
Audrey Hepburn

::goes to look at tonight's offering on AMC:: [Smile]

Hi plaid [Wave]

[ October 12, 2003, 02:33 AM: Message edited by: LadyDove ]

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

graywolfe, I am inclined to agree about Russell Crowe. I hated A Beautiful Mind, but not because of his performance. He was also great in Mystery, Alaska and The Quick and the Dead. I'm excited for Master and Commander (also because Billy Boyd is in it).

I do, however, disagree completely about Kevin Spacey. I have hated almost every movie he has been in, especially American Beauty. He was at his best playing Jim Williams in Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil because his smarmy smugness was perfectly appropriate for the role. He was good in The Usual Suspects and Se7en - he does have skills. I have never found him believable as a father or a husband and I think he should stick to quirky, non-political roles. It would take a lot for me to sit through another one of his movies.

Oh, and good call about Jim Caviezel. I really hope The Passion doesn't hamstring his career - he was brilliant in The Thin Red Line. He was also great in the highly underrated Frequency and The Count of Monte Cristo.

I'm going to add Brendan Fraser to my list - his performance in Gods and Monsters was beautiful and he was hilarious in Blast From the Past and Monkeybone.

Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
Sopwith are your from Charlotte?
Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.