FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Actors, actresses, and predicting a good movie (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Actors, actresses, and predicting a good movie
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi LadyDove!

Have you read Diana Gabaldon's new mystery? (Lord John and the Private Matter) -- I'm getting it from the library this week, yay... [Smile]

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

- posted      Profile for graywolfe   Email graywolfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Agree on Frequency, disagree completely on Spacey. Spacey is definitely one of our very best actors, definitely. We'll have to agree to disagree there.
Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
Not yet. I'm taking the kids to see "Good Boy!" this afternoon and the theater is next to a Borders. Think I'll be taking a slight detour. [Smile]
Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I just thought of this while I was writing on another thread. I can't think of a single movie or TV show Tony Shaloub has ever been in that has been bad. He's always great, and the shows he's in tend to be somewhere between pretty good and brilliant.
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

I loved Big Night, I know that. I think he was in that Denzel movie, The Siege (was it called that), which wasn't particularly brilliant, just "okay", but he's always a pleasure to watch and talk about underrated. He defines that word.
Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Billy Bob Thornton

and...

Brad Pitt! (though I haven't seen the Mexican, so that could be a downfall)

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Rest easy - The Mexican was great and Brad Pitt was hilarious in it. I actually have it on DVD. I consider Brad Pitt to be in the good-actor-who-is-not-so-good-at-picking-roles category. He was great in The Mexican, Fight Club, and A River Runs Through It, but there was no way anyone was going to get me to see Meet Joe Black, Spy Game, or Seven Years in Tibet.

His best role was Floyd in True Romance.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
but there was no way anyone was going to get me to see Meet Joe Black, Spy Game, or Seven Years in Tibet.
I haven't seen Meet Joe Black or Seven Years in Tibet (and didn't want to) but I didn't mind Spy Game.

And I'd add 12 Monkeys and Seven as excellent (if gory) movies starring Brad Pitt. Oh, and Thelma and Louise! [Smile]
I was actually suprised - I'd pegged him for just a pretty face before I saw many of his movies.

[ October 13, 2003, 02:21 AM: Message edited by: imogen ]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Spy Game isn't bad. I loathed Brad Pitt for a while after Meet Joe Black. The entire movie consists of Brad Pit chewing or licking peanut butter off spoons. I think I like Pitt better now, because his teenybopper hearthrob appeal has worn off a bit.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a question.

Why is Brad Pitt such a big star? Has he made a single movie where he was the lead that was an abosulte break-out hit? His wife called him the 20-million dollar movie star, and I want to know, "WHY???" Even the movies that are not bad don't do so well.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

Great point. I don't think any of his movies have made a ton of money. Not a one. Thelma and Louise, Seven and Interview with a Vampire were probably his most successful but I don't think any of them we're blockbusters.

I don't consider him a predictor of good movies though. He's hitting 50/50 at best, doesn't exactly qualify him for that standing, no matter how good looking he is to women (or some women).

I actually did see Meet Joe Black when it was on cable one day, I was cooking a rather involved dinner and so watched it as I cooked. Didn't think it was nearly as bad as claimed. It was even charming at times. But at the same time, I couldn't really get a grip on if he was completely screwing up his role, or doing a rather clever, innovative job of portraying whom he portrays. That being said, it was somewhat enjoyable as a movie I just bumped into. i don't know how I would have feeled if I'd actually paid money to see it, though.

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
graywolfe, yes Meet Joe Black probably wouldn't be too bad if you were doing something else at the same time. The plot moved so slowly though you didn't miss anything while you were cooking.

Sitting through it at the theater was a different thing entirely.

I thought the movie that he was most well known for was Legends of the Fall, the semi-western. But I'm not a movie buff so I could be completely wrong.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*remembers* I saw Legends of the Fall six times in the theatre. We had an entire wall of teh apartment devoted to Brad Pitt. We gave one roommate the Brad Pitt poster and took pictures of the poster tucked into her bed.

I have a lot of affection for that movie. I think the floor of my apartment building deserves the credit for any financial success it may have achieved.

[ October 13, 2003, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
12 Monkeys comes up a lot around here in reference to Bradd Pitt, but what about Bruce Willis?

I can't remember a bad movie he was in. Tears of the Sun was great among many fine works. Heck, I even really enjoy Hudson Hawk for its surrealistic goofiness.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Tears of the Sun? OMG. I agree that Bruce Willis is an EXTREMELY underrated actor-- he seems real in most parts, unless the part (like Hudson Hawke) calls for surrealism.

But Tears of the Sun was manipulative, and the handling of weapons and the obvious use of fireworks (instead of something remotely resembling tactical explosives) was distracting.

I know we have ceased to talk about accents, but I've been out of town. Male actor who can do almost any accent and you'd never know it wasn't his native accent: Gary Oldman. I had NO IDEA he was even a Brit until I saw an interview with him. The man is spooky.

Shaloub had a small part in A Life Less Ordinary, whic was a Ewan McGregor film that I particularly like (laregley because they wanted a fish out of water feel, and left his Scottish accent alone).

Tom, it depends on the locale of the accent, how far South you go, and how far west. Oklahoma and Texas accents are not as annoying as,say , an appalachian accent. But it's all a matter of taste.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.