FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » For the love of all that is good and pure, stop the dobies

Author Topic: For the love of all that is good and pure, stop the dobies
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
That is all.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
A dobie of this thread will be posted in T minus

For what it's worth, though, I'll second that. I find dobies pretty irritating. When I can't resist making one, I try to just put it in the thread I'm dobieing.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Only if you stop trying to be funny by registering dozens of aliases.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Was that Jon Boy that started this thread?
Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Yeah,

A dobbie now and then is annoying, but some ones 50th witty logon name isn't.

And we are all supposed to know who the names belong to.

msquared [Razz]

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Post
Member # 5658

- posted      Profile for Ron Post           Edit/Delete Post 
-shift in-

Why, yes, we are.

-shift out-

Posts: 27 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
You don't know how tempting it is to write a story about a Native American named For-The-Love-Of-All-That-Is-Good-And-Pure who goes on a mission to stop dobies - a surviving group of dodo-birds who are threatening the lives of everybody who lives in For-The-Love-Of-All-That-Is-Good-And-Pure's village.

But I won't.

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ikantspel
Member # 5752

- posted      Profile for ikantspel   Email ikantspel         Edit/Delete Post 
I was gonna start a thread about this same thing, but instead I created the worst dobie of them all, the title didn't really make any sense, but for some reason I went ahead with it. I really need to learn some self control...someone hit me, I'm begging you!
Posts: 190 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ikantspel
Member # 5752

I think someone should start a dobie thread and force - at gunpoint if necessary - everyone who wishes to create a dobie to put it there. I'm not going to do it because I am ridiculously lazy and nobody would obey the rules if a newbie like me started it.
Posts: 190 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the thread. Didn't work before, probably won't work now. [Edit -- I don't have a gun, though.]

[ October 09, 2003, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: Papa Moose ]

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, that didn't work, and I don't want to be accused of dobie'ing your thread, but can we suggest:

For the love of all that is Evil and Kinky, stop the Dobies.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ikantspel
Member # 5752

In response to "15 fun things to do at walmart", I was thinking about "15 fun things to do at southern exposure", but barely managed to control myself.
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I actually like the dobies a lot more than the other fluff like the last post thread, which is far more prevalent, pointless, and not funny...to me. *shrug* That said, I'm not advocating that those threads be removed. I think people who get excited about dobies are wierd. Don't like'em, don't read'em. Participate in the fluff threads you do enjoy and shut up about the dobies.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm only posting dobies to be part of the in-crowd anyway...
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ikantspel
Member # 5752

Just for the record: Is it pronounced dah-bee or dough-bee?
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Storm, I'm not saying that dobies are bad, per se. I'm just saying that there have been a lot of not-so-good dobies today. It was starting to get annoying, so I decided to voice my apparently unwanted opinion.

But I'll just shut up now.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry, Jon Boy. Some of them were my fault.
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I think if this brilliant dobie had been on the front page, Jon Boy wouldn't have such a sour face.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*laugh* I didn't even catch that that was a dobie. I thought it was just a nice, goofy thread by Annie, which reminded me to reread that Mandrake story in Isaac Azimov's Faeries collection.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't mind the occasional dobie . . . heck, I am guilty of it from time to time. But every once in a while we get a day with an inordinate number of them. Maybe it's angst over the removal of the original hug thread. [Dont Know] [Wink]

Maybe if we imposed a few minimum restraints on ourselves:
  • Don't create more than one dobie in one day.
  • If two new dobies have appeared on the same day, don't create another one.
  • If somebody has already dobied a thread, don't dobie the same thread unless your idea is truly so funny that it will make Papa Moose, Storm Saxon, Jon Boy, and Pat spew soda through their noses and thank you for starting it. If it's not funny enough to do that, it's not funny enough.
  • If you can't abide by these, post it in the dobie thread.
Good enough?
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
This thread, by itself, has spawned 3 dobies (at least). I doubt that that many dobies would have been created in the same amount of time that this thread has been here if this thread were not here...

Did I just make sense here? [Confused]

Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Jon Boy, the whole shut up thing wasn't really pointed directly at you so much as the dobie haters in general. Sorry. It's just been an ongoing 'issue' at hatrack that, as I mentioned, I just don't get in light of the fact that, I think, the overwhelming posts on this board are 'fluff'. Why the dobie fluff is so inherently evil is beyond me. And then no one posts in my amazing, insightful non-fluffy threads! Where's the justice of it all?
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, insightful, eh? I'll have to check one out...

I'm just glad that Jon Boy's thread won over its dobie! Yeah!

[ October 09, 2003, 08:22 PM: Message edited by: Erik Slaine ]

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

The thing is that I'm not a dobie-hater. I've started plenty of them myself. I was just a little annoyed when several of them popped up at the same time, and a couple were dobies of the same thread. It was a violation of Icarus's ex post facto rules, which is something that I simply will not stand for.
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

As a Minion of Icarus, I support his rules. [Smile]
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
See, fluff threads, you can winnow out easily from the heavy threads.

Dobies, if you're late in the game, you aren't sure.

They're ANNOYING. [Mad]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

((((mack))))
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat
Member # 879

- posted      Profile for Pat   Email Pat         Edit/Delete Post 
Jon Boy... when you coming over to play X-box?
Posts: 1800 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
It's really confusing having this thread and the dobie of it next to each other. Especially since the name is exactly the same.
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

::resists urge::

[Smile]

Pat
Member # 879

Do it Joe... Do it....
Posts: 1800 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

[Big Grin]

It's enough that she knows I'm thinking it.

Pat
Member # 879

By the way, I think the username 'Joe' would be cool, but that's just me.
Icarus
Member # 3162

It must be taken, no?
Snarky
Member # 4406

- posted      Profile for Snarky   Email Snarky         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that depends, Pat. When are you going to invite me?
Posts: 586 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A dobbie now and then is annoying, but some ones 50th witty logon name isn't.

Why are you picking on me now?
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.