FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Missionary, a debate thread.

Author Topic: Missionary, a debate thread.
Laurenz0
Member # 5336

- posted      Profile for Laurenz0   Email Laurenz0         Edit/Delete Post 
Do that it is right to go into another land and try to change the belief systems of others?

Were the missionaries in the 1700's who came and tried to convert the heathens right in their actions?

Most people nowadays will answer no to this question, but is this not exactly what the united states is doing in Iraq at this very moment, going into another land and tyring to change the belief systems?

Who are we to say that we are right in our actions?

We are so sure that our way is the right way. So sure. Yet, all over the world, their other ways. And someone, somewhere is so sure that that way is correct.

It is because we are so sure of our ways, that trying to change the belief systems of others is unnethical.

-Laurence

Edit: were the missionaries in the 1700's right in their actions?

[ October 16, 2003, 12:44 AM: Message edited by: Laurenz0 ]

Posts: 247 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you talking about religious or political missionaries?
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laurenz0
Member # 5336

quote:
Are you talking about religious or political missionaries?

why does it matter?
Posts: 247 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

Because they are completely different and would have to be discussed seperately.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laurenz0
Member # 5336

Explain your reasons,
Political systems are a way we live our life,
So is Religion.

Political systems are based on value systems,
So is religion, although its often vice versa, value systems are based on religion.

Politcal systems are based on religions.

[ October 16, 2003, 12:56 AM: Message edited by: Laurenz0 ]

Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
Boy, did I think this was going to be about something else!

[Embarrassed]

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*scrubs Ic's filthy mind* [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laurenz0
Member # 5336

[Roll Eyes]
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
as with just about everything, there are varying degrees of missions. i know a little more about religious missionaries than political ones, so those are the ones i'm going to focus on. not all missionaries invade a remote area with the "must convert them" mindset. sure, that's their ultimate goal, but i'd like to think that they are just as invested in the other things they do, such as provide medical attention, food, or whatever else the people they're reaching out to need. i agree that it's not right, let alone effective, to force your beliefs on anyone, but i don't see a problem with going in the back door: serving the needy with their best interests at heart while also setting an example and sharing your beliefs when an opportunity arises. as long as it's understood by both sides that it's the people's choice, not the missionaries, what's the harm?

like i said, i'm not touching the iraq situation. i know enough to know that my opinion on that doesn't matter anyway.

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Better give me a washing, too, rivka..

(points to filthy, filthy mind)

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*hands over scrub brush to Ryuko*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

Because, for example, while we are trying to force our political system on Iraq, we are not trying to force any religion on them.

Governments force political systems on people, in modern times, missionaries simple try to convert people, force is not involved.

Many many people find forcing a political system on a country to be fine, while they find forcing a religion on people to be morally reprehensible.

Laurenz0
Member # 5336

quote:
Many many people find forcing a political system on a country to be fine, while they find forcing a religion on people to be morally reprehensible.

i'm aware, but I'm asking why this is. They are both value systems.
blacwolve
Member # 2972

The belief that murder and stealing is wrong is a value system, and yet wee force it on everyone in the United States, should we?
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
sure, that's their ultimate goal, but i'd like to think that they are just as invested in the other things they do, such as provide medical attention, food, or whatever else the people they're reaching out to need. i agree that it's not right, let alone effective, to force your beliefs on anyone, but i don't see a problem with going in the back door:
As soon as you consider yourself going through the back door, I'm pretty sure you are sinning in one way or another.

quote:
Do that it is right to go into another land and try to change the belief systems of others?
Absolutely, though I'm one of those guys who believes that everyone is human and as long as we talk about basic human values of freedom, charity, tolerance, and free inquiry, it shouldn't be so hard to shape a consensus at the core of the political functions of any country, even if the surface looks shockingly different.

quote:

Who are we to say that we are right in our actions?

We are so sure that our way is the right way. So sure. Yet, all over the world, their other ways. And someone, somewhere is so sure that that way is correct.

I'm not saying we are always right, but I do think the US is closer to harmony than the Taliban. There has to be a point where you stand up for a society where everyone, at least in theory, has food and dignity, and from there, you can figure out the rest.

[ October 16, 2003, 01:24 AM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laurenz0
Member # 5336

quote:
The belief that murder and stealing is wrong is a value system, and yet wee force it on everyone in the United States, should we?

I thought that would come up,
the united states is a society, Iraq is a completely differant one.

blacwolve
Member # 2972

So if I kill someone in the US, it's wrong, but if I kill them in Iraq, it's alright?
Laurenz0
Member # 5336

No because that would be effecting them as well.
fiazko
Member # 5812

quote:
As soon as you consider yourself going through the back door, I'm pretty sure you are sinning in one way or another.

you're right. that was contradictory to what i was trying to say. basically, i don't think it's wrong to attempt to convert people as long as you don't persecute them in the process. if that's possible. now that i think about it, i'm not so sure.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

Absolutely it's possible. Missionary work need not go further than trying to share truths you believe you have found, and trying to persuade people to adopt a system you believe is healthier. Although some extremists will call this imperialism, I don't think it is. Not in the absence of coercion.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

thanks. for a minute i thought i was going crazy.
blacwolve
Member # 2972

What Megachirops said
fiazko
Member # 5812

yeah, Megachirops, can i run all my "intelligent" comments through you first. [Smile]
Megachirops
Member # 4325

pfffft.

:-p

jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Laurenz0, may I recommend you read Peace Child by Don Richardson? It speaks directly to your question in a very readable, interesting way. If you're a swift reader, it's a few hours read. Don't read and eat at the same time, though.

(and I thought this thread was going to be about something else too. [Evil] )

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Was no one but me wondering if Irami was attempting a subtle Mooseism here?

<Goes to sink to scrub her filthy mind>

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
I think we ARE subtly having the "other debate" that the title suggests [Smile]
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
Who are we to enforce our opinion on what's right? The fact that our political system works is testament to the fact that our way is a good way. It is not the only way and if the Iraquis sincerely wanted to return to a Constitutional Monarchy I'm sure we wouldn't stop them.

That and...

*********SARCASM WARNING*********
We wield the biggest stick. That's why we are in the right.

Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The fact that our political system works is testament to the fact that our way is a good way.
Well, no. That's like saying the ability to pop out kids makes someone a good parent.

[ October 16, 2003, 10:05 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.