FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Girl Scouts Have Nuts?

Author Topic: Girl Scouts Have Nuts?
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
For anyone who knows -- is this a replacement of cookies, or just an off-season fundraiser? A couple of girl scouts just came to the front door this afternoon selling nuts. Is it nationwide, or is this just local? I didn't want to take their time by looking at everything, because it's just not feasible to buy anything in our current financial situation, but I'm intrigued. Does anyone else know anything about this?

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Proteus
Member # 794

- posted      Profile for Proteus   Email Proteus         Edit/Delete Post 
You didn't buy anything? In North Yorkshire they'd have already put a brick through your window; the little scamps. Or maybe that's just the boy scouts...

Hmm...*looks distracted and disappears out the door*

Posts: 200 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
I can imagine the smirk on your face as you posted this topic.

Cut the innocent act, Moose! We're on to you! [Razz]

*prays the Girl Scouts don't start selling cantaloupe*

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a girl scout. It's not a replacement and it must be nationwide because we sell that stuff here too. Fear not, the cookies do still exist.
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ginette
Member # 852

- posted      Profile for ginette   Email ginette         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] Must have something to do with that silly song I posted on the other side of the forum about the gooblers, do you remember Papa Moose?
Posts: 1247 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to sell the nuts and the cookies when I was a girl scout in Michigan 10-15 years ago. Nuts = fall, cookies = winter. I think.
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
The nuts must be regional.(ha ha) Or, they might be optional, because we have never sold them here. I have never been offered nuts. For sale.

OK, thank you so much, Papa Moose, for making it virtually impossible to respond to your question without digging myself in deeper.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, nuts, fruit, wrapping paper etc. are in the fall fundraising drive and cookies are in the spring. Not all troops participate in the fall drive, but the cookie drive is manditory, I think.
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
we only sell magazines in the fall. and the nuts and stuff since last year. the chocolate covered pretzels are good.
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
So the buffalo steaks were a purely regional fundraising phenomenon as well?
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
What about the Girl Scout troops who try to sell you AK-47s Is that local too, cause I bought about fifty.

*Looks nervously around for FBI*

Do the girl scouts allow fifty year old men wiht beards to join? Cause if not, I am majorly screwed.

-Rhaegar

Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
My troop only sold the cookies... Of course, my mother was the scout leader, and couldn't get any assistant leader, so she felt that the cookes were enough, thank you very much.

And all girl scouts/scout leaders should watch Troop Beverly Hills. It should be mandatory for the leaders to watch it before cookie sales.

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Girls Scouts are littered with nuts. Really. Have you ever met a girl scout leader? No one is nuttier than one of those people, and they always scared the bajeebes out of me.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
No one has asked the truly important question!

Girl Scout cookies are kosher. Are their nuts?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
:Locke
Member # 2255

- posted      Profile for :Locke   Email :Locke         Edit/Delete Post 
Are girl scouts kosher?
Posts: 1744 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Addams family asked the big question.

Wedensday: Are your Girl Scout Cookies made from real Girl Scouts?

From what part of the Girl Scout do they make the...no. I can't go there.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
heh
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Are girl scouts kosher?
Yes.

*drools*

[Evil]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Nuts/Candy/Magazines are an off-season fund-raiser. Cookie sale starts around thanksgiving this year. And yes, the nuts are kosher (as far as I know).

I know 'cuz I am a nut...I mean Girl Scout. [Wink]

Does anyone want to buy any?
*bats eyelashes*
My GS troop is saving up for our senior trip. We're going to London next summer. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Eruve, do the nuts have an O-U on them, like the cookies do?
Taberah
Member # 4014

- posted      Profile for Taberah           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Are girl scouts kosher?
I suppose it depends. Do they have split hooves? Do they chew cud? I suppose the answer could vary from girl scout to girl scout.

Do they have nuts? Well, I suppose that depends on how you bake them.

Posts: 224 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
If you cooked the product of one girl scout with the girl scout herself, that wouldn't be kosher, would it?
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Err, Erik, if there are lactating Girl Scouts, cooking them won't be necessary to make things not "kosher." [Angst]
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for clearing that up!
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka: If you mean by "O-U" that you order now, pay later, then yes.
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[Laugh] Eruve

No, I meant a U in a circle . . . one of several symbols that indicates that the product is kosher.

Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

Oh.
*looks sheepish*
Yes, some are kosher, some aren't.

jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
[Dear, Hatrackers, please pretend that this incredibly witty reply came as the first response to Papa Moose's post, as that will thoroughly increase your enjoyment of my zany, off-the-cuff humor.]

Yes. Big, salty ones.

Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Aww, don't be sheepish, Eruve. I think it's a great line. I plan to repeat it! [Big Grin]
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

*blushes*
I know I'm slow...you don't have to rub it in. [Wink]

Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I do think it takes some cojones to sell door-to-door as a little girl.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.