FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Guess the Author Game -- Round Twenty-Six (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Guess the Author Game -- Round Twenty-Six
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Rounds One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, and Seventeen, Eighteen, and Nineteen, Twenty, Twenty-one, Twenty-two, Twenty-three, Twenty-four, and Twenty-five.

quote:
"When Peter Hart first came to Cielo Valley, he did not see the place of his death and life. He did not see the boulder in the shaded spot above the great bay laurel where he went to be alone, nor did he see the place in the river where he and Alvaro de Llanos would catch crawdads. He heard neither the last breath of the woman he loved nor the laughter of his daughter when she would play in the river, in the deep spot where the chalk shelf extended from the bank into the water. Of course he knew nothing about Laureles Ranch, nor of Oceanside, where he would lose his brother, nor of the town between them that his children's children would finally name for them both. How could he know any of these things? They had not happened, yet. But as the wagon crested the last hill before beginning the descent to the valley floor, he felt a resonance in his soul, and it seemed to him as though he had just come home from a long journey."

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

The guess from list:

advice for robots . . . . . Human. . . . . . . . . .. . Pat
ae . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Icarus. . . . . . . . . . .. . Pixie
amira tharani . . . . . . . . .IndexCard . . . . . . . . porcelain girl
Amka . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Irami. . . . . . . . . . . . .. pooka
Annie . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .JaneX . . . . . . . . . . . . rivka
Avadaru. . . . . . . . . . . . . jeniwren. . . . . . . . .. . Ryuko
Belle. . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . Jon Boy. . . . . . . . . . . sarcastic muppet
Bob_Scopatz . . . . . . . . Kama. . . . . . . . . . . . saxon75
Caleb Varns . . . . . . . . . KarlEd . . . . . . . . . . . ScottR
CalvinMaker . . . . . . . . . katharina. . . . . . . .. . Shlomo
Celia60 . . . . . . . . . . . . . Kayla . . . . . .. . . . . . . Slash the Bezerker
Christy . . . . . . . . . . . . . . kwsni . . . . . . . . . .. . . solo
Dan_raven . . . . . . . .. . . Leonide . . . . . . . . . . sndrake
Dante . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Leto II . . . . . . . . . . . . Strider
dkw . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . littlemissattitude. . . . T_Smith
Dragon . . . . . . . .. . . . . . :Locke . . . . . . . . . . .. Tammy
^eleKtron . . . . . . . . . .. . . ludosti. . . . . . . . . . .. Teshi
enjeeo . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . Maethoriell . . . . . . . The Tick
Ethics Gradient . . . . . . . mackillian. . . . . . . . Tresopax
Feyd Baron . .. . . . . . . . . Mama Squirrel . . . . Troubadour
Flyby . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Morbo.. . . . . . . . . . . TomDavidson
Filleted. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Nick . . . . . . . . . . . . twinky
Fugu13. . . . . . . . . . .. . . . Noemon. . . . . . . . . . Unmaker
Geoffrey Card . . . . . . . . Ophelia. . . . . . . . . . . Vána
Hobbes . . . . . . . . . . .. . . Papa Moose . .. . . . . zgator

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

The score:

Saxon75: 61
Sarcasticmuppet: 51 ½
Rivka: 49 ½
Eslaine: 43 ½
Jeniwren: 40
Christy: 33
Noemon: 30 ½
Ophelia: 29
Celia: 28
Deirdre: 25
Advice for Robots: 23
Ryuko: 20
Morbo: 17 ½
Caleb: 16
Belle: 16
Teshi: 16
Mackillian: 15½
Irami: 15
Annie: 13
Sopwith: 13
Dan Raven 11 ½
Fugu: 10
Twinky: 10
Tom Davidson: 10 ½
Scott R: 8
Leonide: 8
Nick: 8
T Smith: 7 ½
BannaOJ: 6
Katharina: 6
Hobbes: 6
Jon Boy: 5
Human 4½
esl: 4 ½
Ethics Gradient: 4 ½
Enjeeo: 4 ½
Fitz: 3
Beren One Hand: 2
Jaiden: 2
Blacwolve: 2
GreNME: 2
Icarus: 2
Emperor Palpatine: 2
Kayla 1½
Papa Moose: 1
Locke: 1
Filetted: 1
Kwsni: 1
Pooka: ½
Punchdrunk: ½

Five points for a correct guess with either rationale for the guess or a critique of the story
Two points for any guess with a critique
One point for any guess with a rationale
If you guess without providing a rationale or a critique I will point and laugh.

eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
I was getting ready for just what Peter would actually see there, but wound up knowing only what Peter felt, which was a little confusing.

I like the slightly precient knowledge, with a little work it could be really entertaining.

I'll try Human.

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
:Locke
Member # 2255

- posted      Profile for :Locke   Email :Locke         Edit/Delete Post 
My guess is Unmaker. A few reasons: Things like "Cielo Valley" and "Alvaro de Llanos". The mature writing style, which reminds me of his Blue Spangled Blue. And the sentences tend to be long and complex.

I'm calling you out, Unmaker.

Posts: 1744 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tristan
Member # 1670

- posted      Profile for Tristan   Email Tristan         Edit/Delete Post 
This piece has a very accomplished feel over it. I can't see anything wrong with it technically, and it reminds me a little of Marques (although that could be the Spanish sounding names, of course). That said, I generelly feel a little apprehensive of novels that begin with an outline of what is going to happen. It's sort of like reading spoilers for a movie: you may still be able to enjoy the journey, but some of the surpise is gone, and even if the spoilers turn out to be totally misleading you're still conciously or subconciously waiting for them to happen. If Peter Hart is indeed the main protagonist of the story, it's pretty heavy to learn about to future death of his brother (and the locale of that event) in what appears to be a first paragraph. Of course, such a beginning also works as a teaser on what's going to come, but it's a mixed blessing, I think. Finally, and my only real complaint, the last line sounds a little bit clichè.

There are several writers at Hatrack good enough to produce something like this. I'm going to guess at Tom Davidson.

[ October 22, 2003, 06:15 PM: Message edited by: Tristan ]

Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I really liked this, except for the fact that I knew what was coming and the long list of things that would happen in the future was a little too long before I got to the predicted ending...

Completely Random Guess...

Morbo

(Hey! I just realised mine was actually guessed all the way to the end and I missed it all. Grrrr. [Smile] )

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I have a question. Well, two, actually. Can people who have already been successfully guessed submit something else? Human and Morbo have already done exerpts, if I remember right. Can this piece be one of theirs too?

Second question: I'm kind of interested in submitting something. Is it too late to send it to you, dkw?

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice! And intriguingly familiar, almost like I've read this before.

If this indeed an intro, it seems to be a bit heavy on the details.

My guess: Papa Moose.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
If a guess offers a critique and a rationale, it is still two points?
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

At least one person turned in multiple submissions.

New submissions are still welcome, although I may hold them until the new season, where I ask everyone to send in more and wipe out the score and two pages of UBB code that it takes to link to all the past rounds. This season goes to Round Thirty.

A critique and a rationale is still two points, unless you can give me a really good reason that I should give you more.

All the guesses so far are wrong.

eslaine
Member # 5433

It is, at least, self contained. The whole story is right there before our eyes. There is no need to elaborate--we have Peter's whole life encapsulated in that one ultra-short story.

It's occurred to me that it could be Noemon.

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

It’s occurred to me that it could be someone other than Noeman.

And, in fact, I’m right.

rivka
Member # 4859

Hmm. We've all guessed male authors. But I'm not sure that the writer is male.

I guess littlemissattitude.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

No
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... The Spanish names and the word "crawdads" make me think a Texan wrote this. I don't know why.

kat?

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Ok, maybe it IS a male author.

fugu?

eslaine
Member # 5433

I know someone who writes fanfic.

I think it's rivka.

(Lynch me if you like. [Razz] )

[ October 22, 2003, 09:43 PM: Message edited by: eslaine ]

rivka
Member # 4859

[ROFL]

Nah, I won't lynch you. This time. [Big Grin]

What on earth has this excerpt to do with fanfic?

eslaine
Member # 5433

Nothing. But you are capable.

And I reiterate: [Razz]

dkw
Member # 3264

No. To everyone.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the compliment Erik! I didn't write this piece, but I did absolutely love it. It's probably my favorite of all the excerpts we've been presented with. The list of things that would happen in the area was *a little* too long for my taste, but it didn't hurt the piece much.

The author isn't young, I'm pretty sure of that. They could be either male or female. They're American. I could maybe imagine Slash writing this, but it feels completely different from the one piece of his fiction that I've seen.

For my first guess, I'm going to go with Papa Moose. I've never seen any of his writing, but I could imagine he might be capable of writing this.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

It does kind of remind me of a thread when I first showed up here.

Whose author was [Hail] Bob_Scopatz!<--Yep. My guess is [Hail] BoB.

Noemon
Member # 1115

What thread?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Just for the heck of it, I'm going to guess Geoffrey Card.

It's hard to tell Peter Hart's age upon his arrival in the valley, because would a grown man go looking for crawdads with a buddy? And if he's still a kid, somehow all these serious things that will happen in his life don't seem as relevant. You want Peter to be entering the valley as a grown, independent man, ready to settle down and face the future.

This passage reminds me a lot of Steinbeck's style--the broad strokes Steinbeck used to paint emotion. Maybe it's just reminiscent of East of Eden for me. There, author whoever-you-are, you've been compared to Steinbeck.

The last line kind of dulls it. Coming home from a long journey is too much of a cliche to be used with all the newness of entering the valley. Shouldn't he be feeling light, as though all these things hadn't yet started to weigh him down with memory? We know he's going to live a long time in Cielo Valley, so we know he's coming home. I'd say offset that with the irony of him not feeling like it.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
There's something about this that has a feeling of someone who speaks Spanish fluently. It's not just the place names, but the flow and feel of it. It's just got this feel of quasi-mysticality, of wystful wanderings, of anti...cipation.

I like the feel of it, but to my eye and internal monologue, it needs a paragraph break or two, a chance to absorb. But there is an elegance in the flow as well.

I don't know why, exactly, but I'm going to guess Icarus.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Wrong guesses so far:
Human
Unmaker
TomDavidson
Morbo
Papa Moose
Noemon
littlemissattitude
kat
fugu
rivka

Guessed but not yet responded to:
Bob Scopatz
Geoff Card
Icarus

And I guess Irami.

celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
based on my success from last round, that is, guessing who it doesn't sound like, i'm going with :Locke.

my rational is that i've read blue, and this doesn't sound like david at all. in fact that whole post he made just makes me wonder if :locke's trying to fool us. oh, and he's a texan.

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a more accomplished writer. Very comfortable in style, telling of a story to come. A very good introduction. The writing style grips me even though the story doesn't particularly.

Slash?

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

This is tough. The amount of detail about the story to come kind of reminds me of Dan_Raven's Arthur piece, but it's otherwise stylistically different. It makes me think of Belle, for some reason, but I think she'd have included some dialogue.

Maybe ScottR. He's possibly the best writer in our email game. I could see him writing something like this.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, the level of maturity in the story writting here is pretty amazing. So whoever wrote it --> [Big Grin]

I would guess the author is male, but that's more of a hunch based on the way the story is set up than a real deduction.

Scott R. seems good, but since Saxy has already guessed him, I'll say Morbo.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

No to all.
celia60
Member # 2039

ugh, this is hard.

it's really good and it sounds familiar. but i can't put my finger on what is familiar about it.

i'm going to guess afr. i know i've guessed him for lots of these, but eventually i'll be right. right?

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Hmmm...something about celia's last post drew my attention to her. So...celia?
celia60
Member # 2039

it was my legs, wasn't it?

and if erik hadn't already guessed you, i would have. that passage just sounds like something you would enjoy.

dkw
Member # 3264

No and no.
rivka
Member # 4859

Wrong guesses so far:
Human
Unmaker
TomDavidson
Morbo
Papa Moose
Noemon
littlemissattitude
kat
fugu
rivka
Bob Scopatz
Geoff Card
Icarus
Irami
Slash
ScottR
afr
celia

I agree with celia -- this is naggingly familiar. Pat?

[ October 23, 2003, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

dkw
Member # 3264

No.
saxon75
Member # 4589

I'm going to go ahead and guess Belle because she's been gone long enough to be familiar but unplaceable.
celia60
Member # 2039

uh, jeniwren?

eventually i suppose i'll run out of people who are obviously good, but that i'm not familiar enough with to have any certainty.

dkw
Member # 3264

No and no.
rivka
Member # 4859

[Wall Bash]

Ok, back to my original assumption: male author. I guess KarlEd.

eslaine
Member # 5433

As I look at it, I'm constantly amazed at it's completeness. The only thing is in so short a story, how can we really care about the characters? Could something have been put in to make me care about Peter's first sight of the stage of his lifetime.

I've earned my guess. Dan_Raven

dkw
Member # 3264

::offers rivka a pillow to strap to her forehead::

::offers one to eslaine too::

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I guess dkw. She has the sense of calmness and introspection, the ability to look over a whole life, and the flow to the words.

I like it, a lot. The list felt choppy to me at the "of course" point, because that seemed to read as presupposing more information than the reader had. It shook me out of the dreamworld where I'd already seen these things. The "coming home" feeling seemed quite apt, as the resonance seemed to be with the life that was yet to come.

So, Dana, you? [Smile]

[Edit: I realized what this snippet reminds me of: the beginning of the Alvin Maker series, not as it is written, so much as my state of mind when I reread the first book.]

[ October 23, 2003, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*takes the proffered pillow*

Wait, why do we BOTH get pillows? Is that a fancy way of saying we guessed wrong? [Wink]

dkw
Member # 3264

Not me.

rivka --yes.

eslaine
Member # 5433

Very oblique. Hmm.
rivka
Member # 4859

Well, fudgesicles!

Wrong guesses so far:
Human
Unmaker
TomDavidson
Morbo
Papa Moose
Noemon
littlemissattitude
kat
fugu
rivka
Bob Scopatz
Geoff Card
Icarus
Irami
Slash
ScottR
afr
celia
Pat
Belle
jeniwren
KarlEd
Dan_Raven
dkw

Troubador?

Noemon
Member # 1115

Pat strikes me as a capable enough writer to have created this. How about him?
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.