FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » San Diego's Ring of Fire

Author Topic: San Diego's Ring of Fire
zeroemus
Member # 3169

- posted      Profile for zeroemus           Edit/Delete Post 
So here I am, visiting JeweledHeart, enjoying my time. However, this little Cedar Fire (the largest of San Diego County's fires), has completely and utterly destroyed my route out: the I-15. The fire jumped ten lanes of freeway, causing the freeway and other highways to be closed down. This fire is about 5 minutes away, lighting up the runway of the San Diego Marine Corps base, which is really only five miles away.

Can anyone give me a route out aside from the 5? SoCal Hatrackers, I'd appreciate a little bit of help. [Smile]

This is Emp BTW, dodging my 1000th post. This may or may not factor into what help I get. [Wink]

Edit: I forgot to add that I need to get to Riverside.

[ October 26, 2003, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: zeroemus ]

Posts: 88 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Which portion of I-15 is closed? If you can't take side-streets around it, I-5 might end up being your best bet.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zeroemus
Member # 3169

The I-15 northbound near the 163 leading you into San Diego.

Ive been thinking about using the 5 to the 78 east to the 15 near Escondido.

However, radio reports do say that the 5 is about 2 miles per hour at the moment.

Posts: 88 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
(Side note -- I'm close enough to the Simi Valley fire that there's ash in our kitchen.)
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zeroemus
Member # 3169

Due to absent-mindedness, both rooms that I sleep in have ash in them.

(I live in Riverside, and spend a lot of time at UCSD.)

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Isn't there a state route that runs along the back of Poway that comes all the way down to the 52? You could probably take that up north, then go west on the 78.

Talking to my sister, it sounds like 52 is a no-go, so you'd probably have to take 8 out to the 125, but doesn't sound like you're gonna have much luck no matter what you do. Sorry....

--Pop

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Just found out that depending mostly on wind direction, my parents (in north Clairemont) may need to evacuate their home soon. A couple months ago they just had a new wood deck put in. Great timing, eh?
zeroemus
Member # 3169

That's horrible about your parents' house, Pop.

Im thinking about taking the scenic route up to San Clemente. I dont have a time restraint, I just dont want to sit in traffic, so I'll take the 5 up and make my way back to Riverside the long way.

Update: Im taking the 5 to the 133/241 toll roads west, and then to the 91 freeway that'll lead me into my town. Wish me luck. [Wink]

[ October 26, 2003, 05:49 PM: Message edited by: zeroemus ]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
We're getting ash all the way up here. [Frown]

Good luck to all those near the fires!

Emp, I'd try to help, but your odds of getting lost go up with every speck of help I try to give. [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been trying to keep track of the fire news today. The Simi Valley fire is right in my old stomping grounds, and brings back lots of memories. I especially recall one time when I was in 7th or 8th grade, when the whole valley was surrounded by fires, and no one could get into or out of the valley for over twenty-four hours. Another time, my dad had to spend all night on the roof of the house I grew up in (we didn't live there anymore, but still owned the house) so that blowing embers didn't set the roof on fire.

So anyway, I know what its like, and I've got all of you in the fire areas in my thoughts and prayers.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zeroemus
Member # 3169

I have returned to my home safely.

Of course, while I was outside the Ring for a time, I am now right in the middle of it.

San Bernardino, Hemet, Temecula, Escondido, Fallbrook, Ramona, Scripps, San Diego, Malibu... probably a few more, all of them ablaze.

There are about 14 dead, two injured firefighters, hundreds of horses set loose to escape the fire on their own, and a man walking away from crashing his plane on the 163.

It's been a day.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you made it home safely! Keep safe.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Man.

Excuse me while I laugh heartily and diabolically, safe in East Los Angeles.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
We got evacuated yesterday afternoon. Just got home five minutes ago. Wife and kids are okay.

Details here: http://docmagik.blogspot.com

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Glad you got home, Emp. Glad you're ok, doc & fam. My parents have evacuated and are staying with my sister. I trust all will be well for them, also.
Wetchik
Member # 3609

- posted      Profile for Wetchik   Email Wetchik         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really freaked out. My sister lives in La Mesa. [Eek!] [Frown]
Posts: 354 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you're all safe. We're getting ash all the way in Huntington Beach. Juliette was freaking out yesterday because all the smoke was making the sunlight red; it looked like the apocalypse.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

My parents are back home now, and the fire no longer appears to be threatening them. It burned in the direction of their home, but was fought back, and now there's a path of fuel-scarce land between them and the fire. But the cars are still packed.

My brother and sister are off work today, since they're both teachers in San Diego, and the schools are closed. My brother purchased a house last July -- he sold his condo (which was evacuated because of one of the fires), his first choice of house fell through (another area that was evacuated), and the one he bought is fine. Good choice, Dan!

--Pop

Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa! I live in Prescott, Arizona, and the smoke from the California fires reached me! It turned the sun (which looks about the size of the moon right now) purple. I thought it was a storm coming in (I didn't notice the purple sun 'til just a bit ago), but according to my sister's teacher and the news, it's not.

[ October 29, 2003, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Hey, next time we're in Prescott (possibly Christmas, but that's by no means certain, or even likely), we should have a get-together. Ludosti has said she'd drive up, and I assume she'd drag slacker along. I don't know how many others are in the AZ area, but maybe a few others would be willing to make a bit of a drive. We'll see....

Oh, and the air here still sucks. Mooselet and I are going stir crazy, because I don't want either of us breathing ashes. Neither we nor our San Diego family members are in any imminent danger, though, which is good.

--Pop

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.