FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Favorite Writing of Poe's

Author Topic: Favorite Writing of Poe's
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know why I haven't started this topic yet...but what's your favorite writing of EAP's, short story or poem?

Anyway, my favorite is The Cask of Amontillado.

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
No no no...you can't have that favorite, that's my favorite! I even have a member name Amontillado (member # 1926).

The pit and the pendulum is okay, the telltale heart is good, and the house of Usher is good...

Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
I like The Fall of the House of Usher. I actually saw a play based from that book... And I also saw the movie. The REALLY old movie. [Roll Eyes] It was laughable.
Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
You have to have heard my father read me The Raven as an impressionable 10 year old to understand why it will always be my favorite -
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I adore The Raven as well Shan. I loved it when I was easily impressed and I loved it when we picked it apart in college. It withstood all the tests because it's just brilliantly done.

I also like Annabel Lee, though that is truly an irreverent poem. [Embarrassed]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Poe's most technically advanced work -- in regards to simple emotion evokation -- in my opinion, is "The Bells." Brilliant.

As far as my favorite, I won't disgrace Poe by naming one. He's quite possibly my favorite American poet, even with my respects to Whitman and Frost (and Thoreau, and whomever else I'm insulting through failure of citation).

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I have always been captivated by The Masque of the Red Death.

quote:
There are chords in the hearts of the most reckless which cannot be touched without emotion. Even with the utterly lost, to whom life and death are equally jests, there are matters of which no jest can be made.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Do you know, Narnia - we were taking a rest stop at a (well, rest stop) in Oregon, facing the Columbia on a beautiful early fall day when my dad read that to me - it's amazing to me that I can remember that day so clearly, not just the sights but the inflection and tone as he read it to me . . .

he was a drama/theatre major at BYU before 'Nam got hold of him . . .

I used to love pouring through his yearbooks from highschool and college to see the pictures of him in all the different plays and musicals -

I think my uncle, his oldest -only - brother, still teaches there . . . hmmm - I'll have to get caught up on who's where in the family -

Edited to add: Excellent quote, Mrs. M - yes!

[ October 29, 2003, 12:20 AM: Message edited by: Shan ]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Christopher Walken doing The Raven.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
The Mask of the Red Death is my favorite of his short stories, I always wanted to be the mask of the red death for Halloween.

And of his poems my favorite was always "Anabel Lee" "many and many a year ago in a kindom by the sea..."

*goes to read from collection of Poe's works, realizes it is 2:00am and goes to sleep instead*

Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to be really cliche', but I guess my favorite is still The Telltale Heart. The prose is so tight! Not a word wasted, the fear of the protagonist is tangible. It was one of the first things of Poe's that I read, and still a tough act to follow!

I love all the Poe short stories I've ever read though. That one is just too concise and perfect, you couldn't change a word of it to make it better.

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
If I had to pick a single favorite...

Well, I don't think I could. Among my favorites are The Raven, "The Cask of Amontillado", "The Fall of the House of Usher", "The Masque of the Red Death", The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym (which is, interestingly enough, his only novel), "The Telltale Heart", The Bells...

Basically, I've never read anything by Poe that hasn't been fantastic.

[ October 29, 2003, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Oddly enough, I'd like to echo Noemon. [Wave]

I'd also add "The Black Cat" as memorable, although not really "enjoyed." (It has stuck with me after completely scaring the jebus out of me.)

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

That's shocking CT! Just shocking! [Wave]

You know, I don't think I'm familiar with The Black Cat. I'll have to google for it when I get a minute.

Anybody ever read any of Charles Brockton Brown's stuff? He was the first American novelist, and was very into spontaneous human combustion. It was from him that I got the now-oft-used phrase "gobbets of flesh". Unfortunately, none of his work seems to be available on Amazon.com.

[ October 29, 2003, 10:36 AM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
I've not read a great deal of EAP, but I have always loved the raven and the tell tale heart.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the Black Cat. I was the hit of girls' camp the year I was fourteen because I scared the snot out of the twelve-year-olds with a fifteen minute version of The Black Cat.

I love Poe - it's hard to pick a favorite. I like The Pit and The Pendalum. As for poems, my favorites are Alone, Eldorado, and Israfel.
quote:
If I could dwell
Where Israfel
Hath dwelt, and he where I,
He might not sing so wildly well
A mortal melody,
While a bolder note than this might swell
From my lyre within the sky.

http://bau2.uibk.ac.at/sg/poe/works/poetry/israfel.html
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Do I have a favorite?

Guess.

Quoth me, nevermore.

I am also impressed that Poe, before Doyle, created the great logical private detective (Murder in the Rue Morge). He is the great grandfather of CSI.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll echo Mrs.M, marek, no-mo, and CT on the Masque of the Red Death.

-----
RE: Charles Brockden Brown -- Yep, I've read him. _Wieland_ and _Memoirs of Carwin the Biloquist_. Good stuff. Those two works are bundled together in a Penguin Classics edition that is still in print.

_Wieland_ should be required reading -- while overwrought in places (but, hey, we're talking the first true American gothic novel here so what do you expect) it's fascinating and spooky.

EDIT: Oh, yeah. I've also always been partial to _The Man of The Crowd_.

[ October 29, 2003, 01:31 PM: Message edited by: Zalmoxis ]

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taberah
Member # 4014

- posted      Profile for Taberah           Edit/Delete Post 
"Hop Frog" is pretty good (and perhaps doesn't get as much attention as his other works. Read it for free here. Project Gutenberg is a great resource for bibliophiles . . .
Posts: 224 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
I really love almost all of his poetry. No one captures mood like Poe.

Anyway, I suppose I like "The Raven" best because it taught me the correct way to pronounce "respite" when I was young. Ah, memories.

Jen

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
The Black Cat

quote:
But this feeling soon gave place to irritation. And then came, as if to my final and irrevocable overthrow, the spirit of PERVERSENESS. Of this spirit philosophy takes no account. Yet I am not more sure that my soul lives, than I am that perverseness is one of the primitive impulses of the human heart - one of the indivisible primary faculties, or sentiments, which give direction to the character of Man. Who has not, a hundred times, found himself committing a vile or a silly action, for no other reason than because he knows he should not? Have we not a perpetual inclination, in the teeth of our best judgment, to violate that which is Law, merely because we understand it to be such?

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I have written a few "modernizations" of classics. My "Little Red" is an interesting retelling of Red Riding Hood. I've also done a modern Prometheus story and have a modern Oedipus story half done.

Is it time for a modern Red Masque? The Plaque this time is Aids, the castle is the church of "We are holier than thou!" (not a church that embraces community, but one that turns its back on sinners.

Hmmmm.

I see potential.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I've been working, on and off, on a modern Gilgamesh, set in a small midwestern high school. If I ever finish it it should be pretty funny.
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Katharina-
By far my favorite poe short story is the pit and the pendulum. I thought I was going to get away with the only nod in that direction until your post [Smile]

I love the raven, annabel lee, and eldorado.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pepperuda
Member # 1573

- posted      Profile for pepperuda   Email pepperuda         Edit/Delete Post 
Argh!! Pick a favorite?!!! I've always been partial to The Pit and the Pendulum and The Cask of Amontillado. Then again, I echo whoever said there wasn't a work of Poe that they didn't like.
Posts: 240 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.