FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Coronal Mass Ejection = Free Entertainment

Author Topic: Coronal Mass Ejection = Free Entertainment
Chaeron
Member # 744

- posted      Profile for Chaeron   Email Chaeron         Edit/Delete Post 
In case some of you are in the dark, I thought I'd mention that the third largest solar flare recorded erupted from the sun's surface today. All of Vancouver is currently being treated to a spectacular display of the aurora. It nearly filled the whole sky a few minutes ago, and danced in curtains of green, blue, white and red. I've never seen the aurora like this, certainly not in the city.

Has anyone else been treated to this as well?

Posts: 1769 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Papa Moose will be so disappointed. Erm. make that pleased.

[Big Grin]

No, Chaeron, I didn't see it, but I envy you.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Flee! Run for your lives!! The Sun has turned green!!!
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it will be visible from here....in Kentucky? Well, probably not. *sigh*
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
They were speaking of the resulting aurora being visible as far south as Florida.

Just head to a dark sky place far from city lights.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
Not hard to do out here in the sticks. I've managed to get off work because I'm sick, so I won't be locked inside Cracker Barrel, but because I'm sick I dunno if I should be out in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night. Well....we'll see.
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
:;sigh::
It would be nice if i could see the sun...

Stupid michigan.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there any particular quadrant of the sky that we should be looking in? Being away from the city lights shouldn't be a problem for me, but the trees in my area are so tall and numerous that I'll have to do some driving around to find a large patch of clear sky.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaeron
Member # 744

- posted      Profile for Chaeron   Email Chaeron         Edit/Delete Post 
Uhh...North?

Yeah, that should do it.

Posts: 1769 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
From http://www.pfrr.alaska.edu/~pfrr/AURORA/INDEX.HTM

This flare is of a magnitude that should lead to aurora visible over the entire continental US on the evening of the 29th. It may be on the northern horizon for those in Florida, Texas, and Southern California, but it should be visible.

The best viewing is from a dark area, even your back yard, with a view to the northern horizon. Look out at the sky every half hour. Typically, an intensification occurs every two hours, lasting about 1/2 hour. The maximum activity is usually around 11pm to midnight.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.