FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » XBOX, PS2 or Gamecube. A show of hands

Author Topic: XBOX, PS2 or Gamecube. A show of hands
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
Just to satisfy my curiosity, and so i can put my two cents in.

1.) Which system has the most comfortable controller?

2.) Which system has the best character/game dynasty?

3.) Which system offer the best featuers/capabilities?

4.) Which system has the greatest choice of games?

5.) Which system is the best/your favorite?

My answers:
1.) Gamecube - by far the best controller to date.

2.) Nintendo - Zelda/Mario/original Final Fantasy(although sony has done an excellent job with FFVII-X)

3.) XBOX

4.) PS2

5.) Right now PS2 - playing FFX and Kingdom hearts

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetchik
Member # 3609

- posted      Profile for Wetchik   Email Wetchik         Edit/Delete Post 
1.) Which system has the most comfortable controller? XBOX

2.) Which system has the best character/game dynasty? Gamecube

3.) Which system offer the best featuers/capabilities? XBOX

4.) Which system has the greatest choice of games? PS2

XBOX

Posts: 354 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
1) gamecube definitely
2) gamecube
3) gamecube
4) ps2 might have the most available games, but there's very few that i would actually want to play. gamecube has the most i want to buy.
5) gamecube

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caleb Varns
Member # 946

- posted      Profile for Caleb Varns   Email Caleb Varns         Edit/Delete Post 
The Gamecube's controller is a testament to Nintendo's greatest strength: innovation in design. Conversely, the XBox controller is a testament to Microsoft's greatest weakness: innovation in design.

For the kinds of games that appeal to me, I'd say that Sony has the best characters/game dynasties on the market right now. Gamecube has all the classics but they are no longer being marketed--or designed--to appeal to my demographic, and so I look at them with a sense of nostalgia rather than a sense of "ooh, I have to get the new <insert Nintendo icon here>". XBox, of course, has virtually NO dynasties that appeal to me, with the exception of Dead or Alive 3, which was naturally a much worse game than Dead or Alive 2 Hardcore for the Playstation 2. Halo I've played a few times, but I find first person shooters to be boring at best and aggravating at worst. There's just very little depth in that type of game.

Xbox I believe has the greatest capabilities. I also think the Concorde was a really great plane.

PS2 is, of course, my favorite system for game choices. The controller is basic, simple, and easy to use. Video capabilities I would put between the GC and the XB. But the best software designers are writing stuff for the PS2.

I am currently going through Final Fantasy X for the second time, just for kicks--and beatnix, if you need any help or advice, I know just about everything there is to know about the game. I also enjoy, as I mentioned earlier, Dead or Alive 2 Hardcore, which I find to be a much more intelligent (and combative) use of multiplayer gaming than Halo.

Though it seems to be a moot point as I plan on going into Final Fantasy XI Online, which I'll play on my PC rather than upgrade my PS2.

Posts: 1307 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
1) Since they got rid of that awful, hand-cramping monstrosity, the Xbox has a very good controller.

2) GameCube

3) Xbox (if you're willing to void the warranty and spend a little extra cash)

4) PS2

5) GBA (I know it's not on the list, but the fact remains, for my purposes, it's the best system by far.)

quote:
Halo I've played a few times, but I find first person shooters to be boring at best and aggravating at worst. There's just very little depth in that type of game.
I must take exception to this statement. I agree if you're only talking about multiplayer deathmatches, but Halo's story mode has a lot of depth. It has character development, an exciting plot, and surprisingly good voice acting for a video game. The gameplay requires logic and puzzle-solving skills, as well as strategic planning (trust me, some area require you to think ahead before barging through with guns blazing). This seems to be the trend for quite a few first-person shooters, which I find is a good thing. I used to consider the genre to be mindless gore-fests, but with games like Halo and Dues Ex, I'm actually fining myself enjoying a few.
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caleb Varns
Member # 946

- posted      Profile for Caleb Varns   Email Caleb Varns         Edit/Delete Post 
First, I didn't know that XBox had a redesigned controller. Good for them and apologies to the XB lovers out there.

Second, I agree that Halo is in the top tier of first person shooters, and that there IS some depth to the gameplay. For me it's the TYPE of game that I dislike in general. There are just so many ways to put something in your crosshairs (or lead the target I guess, if it's moving) and pull the trigger. And I did beat the story mode, too, and I didn't HATE it, per se, it's just that I don't get my video game kicks from games of that variety. Which is not to say that I haven't whiled away the hours in front of 007 (for N64) or Doom, or any of the other classics... it's just that my interests lie elsewhere.

Thirdly, I fully agree that Gameboy Advance should be added to the list. I may have picked it myself if it had been an option. I don't actually have a lot of games for GBA, but I do have the GBA-SP, and just owning it is pleasure enough to justify the expense.

[ November 03, 2003, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: Caleb Varns ]

Posts: 1307 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

Yes, the newer Xbox controller is smaller, and the buttons are placed a little differently. It's also quite a bit more responsive.

Original

Redesigned (Controller S)

Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetchik
Member # 3609

- posted      Profile for Wetchik   Email Wetchik         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the S is indeed nice. I have two of them. [Smile]
Posts: 354 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
1) XBOX (S)
2) Gamecube
3) XBOX
4) PS2
5) PS2

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
1.) Gamecube.

The Wavebird is the best controller design in the history of the universe. It's wireless. QED.

Sony's Dual Shock gets a nod from me here, but Nintendo realized that non-hardcore gamers don't like a controller face covered with buttons that are identical in shape and feel. I can tell which button is which on the GC controller by feel, whereas with the Dual Shock (and especially the Xbox controller and controller S) I find myself looking down to see which is which because they're all shaped the same.

2.) Nintendo.

Mario, Metroid, Zelda, F-Zero. Metroid Prime is the best console game I have ever played – nothing else, not even Halo co-op, comes close.

3.) Xbox.

In terms of raw number-crunching power, the consoles are ranked as follows:

Xbox
GameCube
PS2

In practice, the Xbox has the best-looking games by a nose, with the GC being a close second simply because it has less video memory. The PS2 lags noticeably behind, especially on TVs that support Progressive Scan.

4.) PS2

The PS2 has the largest game library by a wide margin, especially since it can play old PSOne titles.

5.) Gamecube.

The first and second-party titles on the GC are all exceptional games. For instance:

Metroid Prime
Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
F-Zero GX
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
Pikmin

The GC is loaded with outstanding titles. [Smile]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
nintendo(any system)
nintendo
x-box
(for me)nintendo(any system)
nintendo(any system)

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

quote:
The PS2 has the largest game library by a wide margin, especially since it can play old PSOne titles.
Once again, if you're willing to void your warranty, and do some tinkering, the Xbox can also play old PSOne titles [Wink]

However, my answer to number 4 still stands at PS2.

Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
1.) Which system has the most comfortable controller?
I would have to agree that the Xbox controller S is the most comfortable controller, at least for me. It could be a tad bit smaller, though.

2.) Which system has the best character/game dynasty?
I think that Nintendo has by far the largest "dynasty" so to speak, featuring the classic Mario games to Zelda and such. They also have several games that have characters from other games, most noticeably SSBM.

3.) Which system offer the best featuers/capabilities?
I would go with the Xbox on this one. It has better graphics than the other consoles by a little bit, and for some reason, I just love those little attachments on the cords of the Xbox controllers. They have saved me from yanking the controller out or the Xbox down multiple times. I also like being able to store soundtracks on the Xbox.

4.) Which system has the greatest choice of games?
I have to go with the PS-2, just for the sheer number of games available. It has been out the longest, and it has access to PS-1 games as well.

The Xbox is my favorite, although it is also the only one I own. I find that I really do like the controllers, and Knights of the Old Republic and Project Gotham Racing are simply awesome. I don't own Halo, though. I am also hoping to purchase a flight game, Crimson Skies, for Xbox in the near future. No Xbox live for me, though. [Frown]

Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
1) Gamecube. It fits my hands nicely and I appreciate the fact that I can tell all the buttons by feel. Although, the placement of the C-stick was pretty lame and totally takes away from its use. The D-pad, on the other hand, I think is fine. The PS2 is probably second, although I find L3 and R3 to be annoying to use and even L2 and R2 can give me gripes, my hand doesn't like shoulder buttons down that far. As far as the X-box goes. Whoever designed the first one needs to be hauled out into the street and shot. As for the second one, I think the Black and White buttons need to be raised a little bit more. It's effing annoying to try and press those things with the heel of your thumb. I'm sure you can get used to it, but I don't *want* to get used to it. I want to hold it and have it be comfortable right away.

2) Gamecube has the greatest dynasty. The Nintendo has also been around the longest. Go figure.

3) The X-box. I don't really know that I'd use a lot of their features, but they are there for the dorks who want them [Wink]

4) The PS2 has the biggest selection of games. But I don't know which company I'd give the nod to. I don't own a system and won't buy them because there aren't enough games to hold my interest. Not that I don't enjoy playing on the consoles of my housemates, but I'd never buy one of my own. I'm a PC gamer, through and through.

5) Hrm. Tough call. I guess it's a toss up between the PS2 and the Gamecube. All of my gaming is multiplayer and I find their titles to be more what I'm looking for than the X-Box.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Human
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Human   Email Human         Edit/Delete Post 
1.) PS2

2.) PS2/Gamecube. PS2 has Final Fantasy, but Gamecube has Mario.

3.) PS2

4.) PS2

5.) Gamecube.

Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
1: Cube, 2: Cube, 3: Cube, 4: X-Box/PS2(qualified: I'm not interested in all of these games, but there sure are a lot of them), 5:Cube.

When Nintendo comes out with a game, it usually has few glitches and is beautiful. That is when it is an exclusive Nintendo game.

I just went back to play The Legend of Zelda, The Windwaker again. What a treat! The controls are ultimately intuitive, the puzzles require some brain power, but if you really need to, you can go around asking people and reading things in the game to find out what you need.

Link Rocks! [Cool]

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
I listed PS2 as my current favorite simply because that is what I am playing right now but I have to agree that the GC is probably the one i go back to the most. I think its the simplisity of it all. The GC is a gaming consule, period. No movies, no music, just games. And the games are usuall well done. Link definately rocks and I think the wind waker was perhaps one of the greatest games I've played in a very long time.

For pure volume of games, I own twice as many title on my GC as any of the others but I've had it the longest, and my PS2 (which is my newest consule) is rapidly catching up due to the large number of used games available at my local EBgames.

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
1) My ideal controller would be a Controller S, but with the thumb buttons put back into the ergonomic configuration of the "Controller L". Since that doesn't exist ... I personally really like the "Controller L". Especially for shooters. Feels like I've got a real gun in my hand. But I hear I'm in the minority [Smile]

2) This issue is not at all important to me, but I have to say, I'm not much of a fan of the classic Japanese games that rule the GameCube and PS2. I've been a PC Gamer for two long, and American games just own me. I gotta go with Master Chief, even though his second game won't be out till the middle of next year.

3) XBox is definitely the beefiest.

4) If greatest means largest, then the PlayStation dynasty is definitely the winner, and it will keep being the winner, since the PS3 will be backwards-compatible, while the XBox 2 will not. Basically, the XBox will continue starting over from scratch each generation, while the PlayStation builds on its past successes.

5) I suppose you can already tell that the XBox is my favorite, though it's really hard to beat a high-end PC [Smile]

[ November 04, 2003, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: A Rat Named Dog ]

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Having just won an Xbox at this conference, I must say that I'm rather fond of that system at the moment.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
>> This issue is not at all important to me, but I have to say, I'm not much of a fan of the classic Japanese games that rule the GameCube and PS2. <<

It's funny – the first four or five games that I bought for my GameCube were all developed in North America. I, too, am not so big on the Japanese games, which makes my console choice that much more ironic. [Smile]

Metroid Prime was actually developed in Texas. [Big Grin]

RTS titles are my bread and butter, though, and for that reason (most notably for WarCraft III) I'll always come back to computers. [Smile]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.