Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Anime

Author Topic: Anime
Scuba
Member # 5851

- posted      Profile for Scuba   Email Scuba         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey I have been a huge fan of anime for some time now and have seen a good amount of it but now I am looking for some new stuff to watch and cant find anyone who can recomdend anything thats good. So if any of you have any good anime that you can recomend to me I would be welcome to your advice!!! Thanks!!!!!!!! [Big Grin]
Posts: 9 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
I've recently been watching Excel Saga, Scrapped Princess, and Chobits.
What ones have you watched? dubbed or subbed?
Satyagrah

ps: Welcome to the wonderous world of Hatcrack! put your luggage in the corner, and take a seat, make yourself at home, likelyhood is, if you get hooked, you won't be going anywhere for a while.
Satyagraha

[ November 04, 2003, 05:16 PM: Message edited by: BYuCnslr ]

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scuba
Member # 5851

Recently I have seen Love Hina, Chobits, Scryed, and Naruto. I dont mind watching dubbed or subbed.
Posts: 9 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Where is that Ryuko girl? You'd think a thread so titled would be like a magnet for her.

Ryukochan?

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Trigun. Saber Marionette J. Oh! My Goddess. serial experiments lain. Tenchi (the original series). I might be back with more later! [Smile]
Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Human
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Human   Email Human         Edit/Delete Post 
Hikaru no Go, and Azumanga Daioh are my favorites. Neon Genesis Evangelion is good if you can stand weirdness, as is Rah-Xephon. Trigun is very funny, and action, too. As for anime movies, Voices of a Distant Star, and anything by Miyazaki.
Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
On a related note, any particular manga that folks like?

I like comic books, but just haven't been able to get into manga. It's almost like it's a different art form that I can't appreciate -- like I just can't enjoy jazz or rap or new age music... I think the only manga I've read that I liked was "Akira"... well I read some "Ranma 1/2" that was funny but not so funny that it made me want to seek out more of them to read...

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scuba
Member # 5851

Trigun, Sabor Marrionette J, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Love Hina, Chobits, Scryed, and Naruto. Are all great anime. (I have many many more to name but I dont want to use all that time to do it) I want to see Oh My Goddess, Hikaru no Go, and Scrapped Princess.

If you are interested in manga read GTO, Blade of the Immortal, or One Piece.

narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
I recommend Cowboy Bebop, Excel Saga, Trigun, and, of course anything by Hayao Miyazaki.

My current favorite is FLCL (Fooly Cooly).

Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
I second the Cowboy Bebop recommendation. I also recommend Read or Die; there are movie and tv series that I've heard are both good. I watched the movie - it's really cool. [Smile]

I don't really watch anime. I only happen on shows that other people are watching and then get interested in those. I watched Cowboy Bebop because my brother was and Read or Die because my friend asked me to procure it for her, so I watched it before handing it over.

Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Just so you know, the word "Anime" looks an awful lot like the word "Annie."
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
[Razz] at sensei. I'm conserving posts, you know. But apparently I'm the resident expert on this type if thing... [Dont Know]

My suggestions:

Anime
Escaflowne (Worthwhile for anyone to watch, though you may not like it as much as I... Not many do, I'm rather obsessed)
Miyazaki movies like Princess Mononoke, as has been mentioned.
Perfect Blue, if you're into violence and psycho--thrillers.
Ninja Scroll if you want more violence and also ninjas. (go ninjas!!)
Animatrix if you like the matrix...
Haibane Renmei's really good so far.
Ummm... Gundam Wing's really good, and of course there's the excellent Trigun and Cowboy Bebop, which everyone should see.

Manga
I usually like uber-shoujo manga and uber shounen. One Piece is great, I LOVE Shaman King, and more people should read Firefighter! Daigo of Fire Company M... And there's always stuff by Akira Toriyama. (Just read Kajika, that was good...) Good shoujo is Kodocha, Magic Knight Rayearth, Mars, and Peach Girl...

That's all I got. ^_^

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
Gundam Seed! Gundam Seed! [Big Grin]

Seed is my new obsession. We're watching it in anime club at my school, and I've become addicted. It's really good. [Smile]

~Jane~

[ November 04, 2003, 11:17 PM: Message edited by: JaneX ]

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starla*
Member # 5835

- posted      Profile for Starla*   Email Starla*         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't watched trigun in soooo long.

A friend of mine had the whole thing on dvd so one day we sat there and watched, like 8 or 9 episodes.

I wish I could have seen the rest---I really enjoyed it.

Posts: 463 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mintieman
Member # 4620

- posted      Profile for Mintieman   Email Mintieman         Edit/Delete Post 
Trigun and Cowboy Bebop are classics, and so is Evangelion if you like some weird stuff

Hellsing is a cool series if your looking for some good action

Posts: 122 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scuba
Member # 5851

Trigun and FLCL have to be some of the best anime but you cant forget about Evangelion and Cowboy Bebop. There are just too many good anime series.
I want to see Read or Die but I dont know any one who has seen the TV series to tell me if its good or not. Anyone seen the TV series Read or Die?

Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Cowboy Bebop is the only anime I've seen that I've liked.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

The Read or Die TV series is called Read Or Dream, and unfortunately shares no characters with the original OAV, sad. They mention Yomiko et al, but they're no longer around. I'd like to see the manga.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Let me see...anime that I have and love:

- The Vision of Escaflowne (what can I say? Ryuko said it all!)
- Chobits (Funny, although it has many sex-realated jokes)
- Vampire Hunter D - Bloodlust (anime movie. Beautiful animation, very sad history. Good!)
- Love Hina (Same comments as Chobits)
- Battle Angel Alita (If you like Sci-Fi and Cyberpunk, that's the anime for you!)
- Angel Sanctuary (Not for religious people...but I dig this one! Nasty angels!)
- Serial Experiments Lain (Hard to define briefly. Bizarre. You will never log on Internet again without wondering...)
- Grave of Fireflies (Hotaru no Haka) (Prepare to cry. A lot)
- Jin Roh - The Wolf's Brigade (read Grave of Fireflies comments)
- Berserk (Medieval, violent, bloody. A must see)
- Record of Lodoss War (Another medieval one, although lighter. For people who dig D&D and RPGS in general)
- Rurouni Kenshin (Samurai X) (Historical Samurai Anime series! Very good! Expecially the OVAs! See it first!)
- Everything by Miyazaki. What can I say? This guy is THE master!
- Evangelion (Well...most of you must have heard about this one. It's amazing, but...don't mind the gore fest or the ridiculous ending.)

I bought some anime, this week, but did not get to see it yet:

- Witch Hunter Robin
- Haibane Renmei
- Saikano
- Samurai Deeper Kyo
- Onegai Teacher
- Onegai Twins

[ November 05, 2003, 03:38 AM: Message edited by: Eduardo_Sauron ]

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
I recently saw a bit of Boogiepop Phantom, done by the same guy that did Lain. I only saw a few episodes, but what I saw was pretty good, and a dead on match for Lain's tone. I can reccommend that if you're feeling a bit adventurous.

[ November 05, 2003, 09:22 AM: Message edited by: Lime ]

Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stuff
Member # 5876

- posted      Profile for stuff   Email stuff         Edit/Delete Post 
this is a great site for finding anime
www.anime-planet.com just go there and find recomendations [Big Grin]
ive seen:
naruto
brigadoon
nuku nuku ova/tv/dash
gundam seed (this is so great)
iria zeram animation
junni kokki
MAZE
record of lodoss war
slayers
tekkaman
evangelion
KO beasts
orggus 2
gunam wing
V gundam
the cat returns
armitage III
detonator orgun
escaflowne (the movie too dont recomend the movie tho)
girl from phantashia
gundam F91
luna varga
outlanders
plastic little
transformers the movie
el hazard ova/ova2/tv
tenchi muyo/univerce/tokyo
oni
dragon half
hyper police
(i may just have an obsession)
tetsuwan birdy
jewel bem hunter lime
3X3 eyes
generator gawl
battle angel
ranma
dna^2
inuyasha
flame of recca
orphen
eden's bowy
oh! my goddess
appleseed
sayuki
gadguard
divergence eve
(something) tank police
and a whole lot of others that i cant grab off the top of my head
[Wall Bash] i wish my crap hole of a school had an anime club. i have to settle with chatting and the rare ocasions that i go to forums

Posts: 7 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

stuff: If your school doesn't have an anime club, start one. That's what I did. Also, it's Dominion Tank Police.

[ November 05, 2003, 02:26 PM: Message edited by: Ryuko ]

MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
Just to repeat what everyone's been saying:

Trigun
Cowboy Bebop
Ruroni Kenshin
Yu Yu Hakusho (and not the Toonami afternoon bs, the unedited one)
Miyazaki films (classics in their own time)
Excel Saga
Scrapped Princess
Gundam Wing
Blue Seed
Lupin III
Anything by CLAMP is cute/funny
Escaflowne (NOT THE MOVIE. The movie was never made, it is dead to me!)
DBZ's okay, I guess, it's just dubbed SO badly and the fight scenes won't end!

And of course, you cannot have the anime and not read the manga:

Shonen Jump's a really good serial manga magazine; most recently it's got Nataru, YuYu Hakusho, Dragon Ball Z, Yu-Gi-Oh! (don't laugh--the manga's better than the anime), and Shaman King. I don't really read Animerica Extra, but I've heard it's a good one too.

Then there are pocket books:
GTO
Dragon Knights
CLAMP School Detectives (kawaii!)
MARS (it finishes this month! ::happy dance:: )
Cowboy Bebop
Ceres: Celestial Maiden
Marmalade Boy

There's just a few suggestions from this anime freak. [Wink]

[ November 05, 2003, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: MaydayDesiax ]

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

quote:
oni
That's a game. And a damn good one, at that.
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny series:
The Irresponsible Captain Tylor
Slayers (and Slayers Next)
Hyper Police
Record of Lodoss Wars (but only if you're drunk and making fun of it)
VanDread (although it gets kind of old after a while)

Serious series:
Witch Hunter Robin (I cannot praise this series enough)
Vampire Princess Miyu
Noir
Berserk
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Trigun

What I've seen of Haibane Renmai (first 7 or so eps) is really good, too.

Shorter series:
Pet Shop of Horrors
Neighborhood Defense Force
Earthian
Cumbustible Campus Guardress

movies:
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
Metropolis
Jin-ro: The Wolf Brigade
Spirited Away
Princess Mononoke
The Castle of Caglistro
Escaflowne (I'm sure someone will hurt me for this, but I like the movie better than the series. Mostly because Alan is in it much much less.)

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

Not an Allen fan, O? Ah well. I shall get your back anyway, by saying I liked the movie. Possibly partly because I saw it first. But Nob's character designs are stuck to way better in the movie, and they're SOOOO pretty. The plot was scrunched a bit, but I still liked it. ^_^

Also, I love Shonen Jump. (hugs it) (hugs it again) (wants the next issue to come... NOW)

[ November 05, 2003, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: Ryuko ]

JaneX
Member # 2026

*high fives stuff* You're practically the only other Seed fan that I've found! [Big Grin]

Ryuko's right. If your school doesn't have an anime club, start your own. My friend Naomi started ours. [Smile]

~Jane~

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I recently saw Millennium Actress , by the same director as Perfect Blue . It was different, but still sort of a mind-bender, in that what hapens actually depends a lot on what you THINK is happening. There the similarity between the two films ends.

I sort of liked the series Yami no Matsuei. Really liked Cowboy Bebop. Saw a couple different versions of the Ruroni Kenshen story, and I think I liked the one you guys are not talking about. The one where the animation was a lot more like filmwork, with focus changes and more realistic facial expressions.

I also sort of liked Gravitation, in spite of myself (Japlish Pop is sooo dang catchy).

Of course, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, My Neighbor Totoro, Vampire Hunter D, Castle in the Sky, etc.

I liked Akira until near the end. I think it's over-hyped, maybe.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... let's see... Anime that I've seen...

Akira
Vampire Hunter: D
The Dirty Pair Series
The Project Ako movies
Venus Wars
The Professional
Crying Freeman
Fist of the Northstar
Wicked City
Tank Police (the first one)
Ninja Scroll
Wings of Hona-something-or-other
Ghost in the Shell

By and large I'd say they were all garbage. I just *don't* get it.

*sigh*

(runs away)

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ae
Member # 3291

- posted      Profile for ae   Email ae         Edit/Delete Post 
I really, really want to watch Haibane Renmei. That and Jin-Roh, and Perfect Blue.
Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Jin Roh is amazing! See it like...NOW! [Smile]
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Dorks. The whole lot of you.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

Geeks. We're geeks. [Taunt]

~Jane~

Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
^queen dork.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

Heh. . .

JaneX, don't you have, like, school, or something?

bmeaker
Member # 4443

- posted      Profile for bmeaker   Email bmeaker         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen the first episode of Dr. Slump and two other things, I thought it was really funny,(its by Toriyama who does DBZ), and much better than Dragon Ball. I watched the first two episodes of Star Ocean EX and thought they were ok. The first Episode of Planetes was ok. Galaxy Railways was pretty good and also anything else in that same universe with Captain Harlock, Galaxy Express 999, spaceship Yamato is pretty good.

Brandon

Posts: 53 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scuba
Member # 5851

WOW! Thanks now I got plenty of suggesations!
[Party]

JaneX
Member # 2026

quote:
JaneX, don't you have, like, school, or something?
School? Whazzat?
narrativium
Member # 3230

You know, that place you go during the day where they try to brainwash you.

School.

KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone seen "Millenium Actress" by Satoshi Kon? I just watched it this weekend (rented from Netflix). It was beautifully drawn and I liked the very non-linear story line. It was a haunting, tragic, love story and despite its strangeness it had a very human feel to it. The DVD I rented was sub-titled.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

Actually, Millenium Actress and Witch Hunter Robin are both pretty high on my list right now.

And Adult Swim is showing the Big O from the beginning, starting tonight, so I'm gonna give that a try.

eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Battle Angel Alita (If you like Sci-Fi and Cyberpunk, that's the anime for you!)

Gundam is an excellent manga series as well! What can you say about full-body replacements? (This goes as well for Major Kusanagi in Ghost in the Shell)

Gally has that most characteristic feature of all anime characters: The cuter they are, the more dangerous they are.

An excellent translation to Anime, I just wish they had done more of them.

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a friend that believes the 1987 anime movie Wings of Honneamise (the movie Gainax studios was created to produce) is the single best movie ever made. And the more I think of it, the more I agree. It is completely hand drawn, and a very very beautiful production.
http://animeworld.com/reviews/honneamise.html
Satyagraha

[ November 10, 2003, 07:52 PM: Message edited by: BYuCnslr ]

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

KarlEd, I listed Millennium Actress, above, I think.

If you liked that one, you might also like Perfect Blue-- a mind-bending story of a pop singer who goes into acting, and picks up some demented fans along the way.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
  • Vampire Hunter D (the original and Bloodlust)
  • Gatchaman (The original source for Battle of the Planets and a remake made in the early 90s)
  • Blood: The last Vampire: Decent story, amaaazing blend of CGI and hand-drawn animation.
  • Spirited Away
  • Princess Mononoke
  • Star Blazers (the movies and the first two seasons - there are few problems that cannot be solved by proper application of the Wave Motion Gun)
  • Millenium Actress
  • Samurai Jack (maybe not proper Anime, but the best cartoon currently being made)
  • Macross Plus (the rest of Robotech is OK, this one was awesome)

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Forgot to add Rock and Rule - again, not truly anime, but just incredible.

[ November 11, 2003, 11:10 AM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

I'm watching "Samurai Deeper Kyo", right now. It is a very good "fantasy" samurai anime (in opposition to Rouroni Kenshin, which tries to stick mostly to historical facts).

Go devil eyes!

ae
Member # 3291

- posted      Profile for ae   Email ae         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It is a very good "fantasy" samurai anime (in opposition to Rouroni Kenshin, which tries to stick mostly to historical facts).
It does? [Eek!]
Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

I think there are at least two versions of Ruroni Kenshin-- one very accurate historically and one sort of out there. They are drawn very differently, but both center on the samurai with the cross-cut scar on his face.

Does that clear things up?

Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

Yeah. I'm talking about the OVAs, not the TV series.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.