FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack Perfect Holiday Thread (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Hatrack Perfect Holiday Thread
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
We are starting the Perfect Holiday season, as practiced and performed here.

As we enter the holiday season I invite you all to enter this thread and spread warmth, cheer, and joy.

We celebrate the season and all the holidays and Holy Days within it. Whether you are just finishing Ramadan or preparing for Hanukkah, whether you demand that Christ return to Christmas, or flee from organized religion, or all of the above, you are welcome.

There are some rules.

Food is to be offered in a communal feast. All food in this thread is of the finest quality, and is miraculously free of calories, carbohydrates, salts or any other dangerous ingredients.

Alcohol is plentiful and guaranteed to leave no hangover.

Presents are to be given to everyone, so even the Lurkers out there get something.

No commercialization, no commercials, and no selling.

No serious threads. You want to debate religion or politics or even Artificial VS Real Christmas trees, leave now.

We will need someone to be in charge of punishing those who break these rules. Rita? That sounds up your alley.

If you love the holidays, welcome.

If you hate the holidays or any of the holidays, stick around. We hope that we've removed any thing you could possibly dislike, (including crazy relatives and depressing office politics) and leave only the joy, wonder, and sharing.

Grab a warm blanket, sit by the fire, roast a few chestnuts and enjoy. There is Egg Nog on the table and French Onion Dip to your left.

Happy Holidays to all.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
Wahoo! Yule tidings everyone! [Party]
Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
bah humbug is my middle name, but if there are cookies, i'll hang out for a while.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
Can we call it Festivus?
Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

We have 24 dozen mixed cookies, all made by my wife's Italian grandmother (she makes 12 Gross of cookies every year to pass out to everyone). We are a bit short on chocolate chip though. We have sesame seed cookies, and thumbpring cookies and anise cookies and powder-puff cookies and a bunch more.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
L'chaim!

[The Wave]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Can we have Muscat and hot chocolate?
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Pumpkin pie and spiced cider. [Smile] Warm holiday cheer!

Edit: Dan, my mom makes thumbprint cookies! They are among my favorites. She says her favorites are wreath cookies made of cornflakes and dyed green.

[ November 11, 2003, 05:18 PM: Message edited by: Christy ]

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Hot Cider!! Get your hot spiced cider here!

No, you CAN'T spike it!! [Wink]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
*adds spinach balls to the table of food*

I know they contain spinach, but the dressing and cheese and spice make up for it!

Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmm....pumpkin pie and spiced apple cider and cookies...sounds like my Samhain celebration all over again.

Now down to business, where's the pecan pie?

Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I come bearing my mother's panforte.... it's gooooooood.

(My mother cannot make things rise in the kitchen - problem for souffles and sponges but it means her brownies and panforte are divine)

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Did you say pianoforte? Gosh, I'm glad someone thought to bring one!! [Big Grin]

*sits down and starts playing background music like a lounge lizard*

Thank you so much! Do you have any requests?

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

- posted      Profile for Trogdor the Burninator   Email Trogdor the Burninator         Edit/Delete Post 
I brought roasted chestnuts.
Posts: 1481 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
*staggers in with a tree*

Woops. Oak doesn't cut it.

*staggers back out with the tree*

*staggers back in with a pine tree*

Ahh, thats better.

*grabs cookies and cider*

Request: "Oh, Christmas Tree." [Big Grin]

Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

♪ O Tannenbaum *snap* o Tannenbaum *snap* ♫

Thank you so much!

[ November 12, 2003, 01:16 AM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

imogen
Member # 5485

Hey, quit playing tunes on the baked goods !

:: snatches panforte away::

Here, I've brought you an accordian instead... go crazy.
[Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Rumballs!

*wiggles eyebrows above the fumes

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
How about good ol' fashioned sugar cookies?

And here's some herbal wreaths I made with plants from my garden for everyone!

And a stocking full of Chocolate Frogs!

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Here are some more cookies - the kind that are crackers with peanut butter dipped in dark chocolate.

And a couple bottles of Bailey's. Like Dan said, no hangovers, no matter how much you have!

Who wants to sing? I know lots of Christmas carols, and I'm a quick learner, so let's do some other songs, too!

Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

OOH!! I want to sing!!!

*sings*

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

I'm glad the party is picking up.

I have the pop-corn popping over the fire. What we don't eat will go on our new tree. Its real pop-corn and I have real butter to put on it.

Music. I forgot the music. I'm glad someone else brought it.

"Deck the Halls with Bows of Holly"

imogen
Member # 5485

Oops! Forgot the champagne. Vintage & hangover-free gaurenteed....
I also have crayfish, prawns and other assorted seafood (well, we have to cater to those of us who have christmas in hot climates)

Narnia
Member # 1071

Can you pass the cheese log? Did anyone bring a cheese log? You forgot the cheese log?!!! Ah, the injustice!

*hands Raia the accordian*

*pulls a piano out of her pocket*

♪ Deck the halls *snap* with boughs of *snap* holly, HEY! Falalala *snap* lalalalala Hey! Take it Raia! ♫

[ November 13, 2003, 01:01 AM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

Raia
Member # 4700

♪ ♫ ♪ ♫

*bows to Narnia* Thank you, m'dear! *sings*

*dances around madly*

[The Wave]

Vána
Member # 3262

heeheehee! This is a great party!

*joins in the dancing*

Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
*brings in french silk pie for everyone* <-- my favorite

*brings in metronome* Narnia, you're not snapping in time! [Wink]

*joins in singing and dancing*

*grumbles at not remembering how post musical notes*

[Big Grin]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Eruve, it's jazz. *shoots Eruve a withering look* [Wink]

Any more requests? I might just step out for a minute to get the cheese log that I've been hankering for.

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

We need something we can dance too.

What have you got to?

We are also building snow forts in the back yard. Snow ball fights will begin soon.

Vána
Member # 3262

Snowball fights?!? I'm in!!

*runs outside, with mittens on, of course!*

Koryu
Member # 5922

- posted      Profile for Koryu   Email Koryu         Edit/Delete Post 
#^_^# Hey everyone!!

(brings cheesy hash browns and bread pudding)

Whoo! It's cold out there! Is there any hot cider?

~Ryuko~

[ November 14, 2003, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: Koryu ]

Posts: 27 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We need something we can dance too.
Motown! And some cheerful Leonard Cohen ("So long, Mariaannnn-eh!").

quote:
brings cheesy hash browns ...
(I love Ryoko)

[ November 15, 2003, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Lovely party...but may I offer an actual Thanksgiving song? Well, sort of..."Alice's Restaurant", by Arlo Guthrie. The holidays just aren't the same without it.

*takes a cookie and goes off to stand in the corner, as she always does at parties*

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

I LOVE THAT SONG!!

I know someone who can perform the entire thing, all 20 minutes of it, just him and the guitar... he did it for me this summer, I thought I would die laughing!!

BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
:: comes in through the front door ::
Weee!!! Where do I park the truck with all the presents?
:: through the windows everybody sees a giant double-length semi filled with presents ::

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

- posted      Profile for Black Mage           Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome! Though personally I prefer real trees to artificial. [Razz]

♪ ♫ Chestnuts roasting on an open fire
Jack Frost nipping on your nose♪ ♫

Imogen, you brought the best food. Here's your present, c'mon, unwrap it! And for Raia and Marek. . .your present.

I've brought a nice star for the tree. It's big and gold with curly silver bits. Who's got the stepladder?

*pulls a cracker* Whee!

*tosses snowball at Trogdor* C'mon, man, light a nice fire!

Oh, I rented It's A Wonderful Life.

Can we go carolling?

[Party]

Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

(((((Black Mage))))) What a wonderful present!! Thank you!!! [Monkeys]
Black Mage
Member # 5800

- posted      Profile for Black Mage           Edit/Delete Post 
Are you planning on using it finally?
Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

*helps unload the presents*

Look at all these beautiful wrappings! I love presents - they're so pretty!

Where'd those cookies go? I could use a couple of cookies.

Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
*sings "Carol of the Bells* (that's my favorite Christmas Carol)
C'mon Raia! Join me! [Big Grin]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

ooooh a present!

::eagerly unwraps::

ooh, it's a....
wait a....

hang on a minute, what is it?

Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

*giggles*
ah...some people are entertained for hours with just wrapping paper...

[Big Grin]

Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
:walks in carrying two logs: one cheese, the other yule, as well as a couple sacks of presents:
Where did you say the egg nogg is?
:walks off to get giant mug of egg nogg:

Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

*brings in TTT Ex for everyone* [Big Grin]
imogen
Member # 5485

Yay! Bags I the bean bag...
Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
::Sits down with egg nogg to watch TTT EE::
I'm so excited!

Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

*pops lots of popcorn*
[Big Grin]

Raia
Member # 4700

Ooh! We're singing that in choir! *joins in* [Smile]

♪ Hark how the bells,
Sweet silver bells,
All seem to say
"Throw cares away." ♫

And now, to redeem myself...

♪ S'vivon, sov sov sov,
Hanukkah hu chag tov,
Hanukkah hu chag tov,
S'vivon sov sov sov!! ♫

Scythrop
Member # 5731

- posted      Profile for Scythrop   Email Scythrop         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone, sorry I'm late. But if you look outside you'll see my...

::Bends down and lights fuse::

*FIREWORKS*

(quick, get outside quickly)

Wheeeee. Bang. Boom.

Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

Yay! Fireworks!
*claps hands*
*jumps up and down*
[Big Grin]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.