FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Now Accepting Submissions for Guess the Author Game: The Next Generation!

Author Topic: Now Accepting Submissions for Guess the Author Game: The Next Generation!
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
If folks are interested in seeing this continue, I need another round of writing samples. Send ‘em in please.

dkw275@hotmail.com

Fiction or non-fiction creative writing. 200 words or so. Doesn’t matter if you’ve played in previous rounds or not.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Can you post an explanation of the game for those of us who either forgot or never knew and thus shied away the last time?
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
No.

[Mad]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! I am so on the way...
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Bob, the game is simple – people send me short excerpts from something they’ve written. I post them one at a time and other people critique the writing and guess who the author is.

I make up reasons to give people points – usually to encourage people to critique.

And that's all there is to it.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
When's the dead line? I' haven't written anything in years but am starting to keep a journal again? can we submit even after the game starts?
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! The game is simple. Deceptively simple. What's the catch? Hmm????

Anyway, count me in!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

No deadline. It's a very open ended game.

If you think you might submit something, let me know and I'll put you on the "guess from" list so I don't have to edit you in later.

Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'll submit something.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tristan
Member # 1670

- posted      Profile for Tristan   Email Tristan         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to submit something. I'll just have to write it first. I think I'll get right on it, and thus avoid studying.
Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

Put me down as a contestant. I have a few ideas bouncing around my head.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
:Locke
Member # 2255

- posted      Profile for :Locke   Email :Locke         Edit/Delete Post 
I sent you a paragraph a few weeks ago, dkw. I wonder if it just got deleted by accident. No matter- I'll submit again.
Posts: 1744 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

It did not get deleted. I already had three submissions for the next round, and yours was one of them. [Smile]
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, Guess Locke every time now. We know he might be one of the first.

oops, was that out loud?

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asQmh
Member # 4590

- posted      Profile for asQmh   Email asQmh         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm game.
Posts: 499 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

dkw, did you get mine??

Did you? Did you!

dkw
Member # 3264

Very good. Now I need lots of people to post here that they sent stuff, to confuse Dan.

(and lots of people to send stuff, without posting here. shhhhhh.)

beatnix19
Member # 5836

i guess :Locke. Am I right? Is this too soon?
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
What if we post here without sending stuff? Is that okay, too?
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Yes, that's what I meant. People who did not send stuff should post. People who did not post should send stuff.

And then, just so it's not a simple reverse, some people should both post and send stuff.

And I suppose it's okay for a few people to neither post nor send stuff. But not too many. [No No]

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
and whatever you do, don't send stuff, and not put your name on it, and hope that she'll be able to tell from your email address who's story it is, because that would be like, really silly and embarrassing, if anyone did that, not like I did or anything, but...well...I was rushed...I mean, someone could be rushed and forget and....

just don't do that.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sending something, just as soon as I find something that no Jatraqueros have read. [Smile] Then again, if Irami's not playing, I'm free. Fat chance. [Razz]

[ November 12, 2003, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: Brinestone ]

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
now i'm confused.

wait.

so if i post here i'm sending something, but only i only post so i can say i'm posting and not sending so people won't guess me, but they will because i posted?

wait.

now i'm confused.

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't submit anything... I'll have lost the element of surprise...

Perhaps if I...

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I sent stuff.

No, I didn't.

Yes, I did.

No, I didn't.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
just don't do that.
Gotcha Dan. Will do... not...do that.
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
So do we send the whole thing, and you pick the excerpt, or just send the excerpt?

(And did I spell "excerpt" right?)

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Just send the excerpt. Most have them have been the beginnings of stories, but they wouldn't have to be.
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
i'll submit.... after exams (which end tomorrow, woo hoo!)
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
and can i be picard?

[Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gottmorder
Member # 5039

- posted      Profile for Gottmorder   Email Gottmorder         Edit/Delete Post 
[Strongbad]DELET-
er
SUBMITTED!
[/strongbad]

[Razz]

Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll submit right away... or I'm just posting for mystery's sake... we'll see.
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

*bump*

for two reasons,

1.) what is the timeline for starting new game?
2.) hopefully more people will sign up. [Smile]

Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
If I did send a submission... is it alright to assume it was recieved?
Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Good question. I should send out confirmation e-mails. I'll get right on that.

I had intended to have round one up first thing this morning, but I had a funeral. It should be up sometime this afternoon -- I just have to finish the "guess from" list.

[ November 17, 2003, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: dkw ]

dkw
Member # 3264

Okay, confirmation e-mails have been sent.

I'm sorry that they're kind of form-lettery, but the idea of trying to find 30 ways to personalize "yes I got your entry" made my head spin.

Oh, and if we've already had correspondence about your entry (like, "thanks for entering, who the heck are you?" or "did you really mean to have line-breaks every three words, or did hotmail do that?) then you didn't get a form letter. Otherwise, if you sent an entry and haven't heard from me I probably didn't get it.

[ November 17, 2003, 11:03 PM: Message edited by: dkw ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.