FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Well, That Was Exciting (No, Not About The Pregnancy)

Author Topic: Well, That Was Exciting (No, Not About The Pregnancy)
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Not the kind of excitement we were really hoping for. So I'm sitting here reading some Hatrack threads, when there's a loud screech and a booming noise outside that sounded kinda like a car hitting something. And it sounded close. First thought crossing my mind is that I hope nobody's hurt. And I head outside.

A pickup truck is driving off my front lawn.

Apparently some teenage maniac (the teenage part according to a witness next door, the maniac part is my contribution) came speeding down our street. We live at the intersection of two streets that both end, so in effect this person needs to make a slightly-over-90-degree left turn. He was probably unaware of this, and had no chance of succeeding.

The screeching tires was apparently his failed attempt at stopping. The boom was hit front tires hitting the curb in front of our house, missing the Honda by about three feet on one side, and a tree by five feet on the other. He seems to have finished skidding to a stop on the grass a few feet from the garage. Well, it was grass when he started. Now it's mud. He then circled around through the front yard, and drove down the driveway (missing the other three cars) and sped off down the street.

There's no longer really a thought crossing my mind regarding this driver not being hurt, much to my shame. However, I still hope he avoids hurting anyone else.

He hit nothing. He hit nobody. The sum-total of damage is skid marks on the street, torn up grass in my front yard (which will grow back, I hope), and hopefully a couple thousand dollars damage to his alignment. Maybe he bent the frame. *fingers crossed*

Gives a whole new meaning to "Get off my lawn!"

And it didn't even send Mama into labor...

Yet.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
No second mooselet yet, Papa? You both should be getting impatient, I would think.

Anyway, I'm glad none of your property was (badly) damaged, and that nobody was injured.

A little shook up, I hope, but not injured.

Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Yikes! [Eek!]

Glad y'all are safe. [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
There have been a couple of incidents in Utah recently of drunk drivers running over pedestrians who weren't even on the road. One family was in their front yard. So you gave me a bit of a start there anyway...
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetchik
Member # 3609

- posted      Profile for Wetchik   Email Wetchik         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He hit nothing. He hit nobody. The sum-total of damage is skid marks on the street, torn up grass in my front yard (which will grow back, I hope), and hopefully a couple thousand dollars damage to his alignment. Maybe he bent the frame. *fingers crossed*
Sorry to hear that Pop. [Frown] And I'm sorry to say that your grass has little chance of growing back. I would recommend either paying somebody to replant your lawn, or rent a roto-tiller after killing the remaining lawn. Then, spread the seeds. To save money, you could use a hoe, but I wouldn't recommend it.

All in all, you're talking about:
$700 approximate for paying somebody
$50 roto-tiller, $80 for seeds, plus your own labor.

Grass is one of those things that is tough when it's alive, but it's hard to get it growing.

Sorry.... [Frown] [Frown] [Frown]

Posts: 354 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll see if I can get a decent digiphoto tomorrow and link it here. As time goes on, I realize that while I am pretty ticked about it, I'm still very glad that nobody, even including the driver, was hurt.

And it's a good thing we tape West Wing, because this made us miss the beginning.

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Did anybody get a license plate?
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Too fast, too dark. Most who saw it saw it through windows.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
That's great that no one was hurt, and that there wasn't even any real damage (except possibly to his vehicle)!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
I was in a similar situation, but unfortunately I was in the passanger seat of the car. Driver was looking between seats for cigatrette and didn't notice car in front of her. Swerved to miss, drove up a lawn, over stone landscaping wall and right into house.

Worst part was that it was labor day and the family was having a party. This is going to sound like a very bad stereotype but the family was Japaneese and the entire house emptied and they ALL started taking pictures of us. Just like in the movies.

Needless to say I never drove with her again. And we did not escape, in fact she totalled her brand new jeep wrangler. (she's loaded and was driving her dad's Jag the next day, I hate rich people!)

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"I hate rich people!"

Is it more annoying that her dad loaned her his sportscar the day after she wrecked her Jeep doing something ridiculously stupid, or that she did something ridiculously stupid while you were in the passenger seat?

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
(((((Pop and Mama)))))

Glad to hear nobody was hurt!! And tell that child to get here already, we're al waiting for him!! [Smile]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, beatnix, why are you even friends with that eemo?

[Smile]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
actually the "ride" it self was fun. Once I realized I was still alive and uninjured. I tell people it's the kind of theing you would pay for at Cedar Point.

What really bothered me was the fact that she didn't borrow his Jag. He gave it to her and got a new car. I don't really hate rich people I just know that If I had totalled my '83 Cordoba I would be walking every where.

Oh, well. At least I've got a great story.

By the way, I haven't talked to her since high school (1997). She was a nice enough person though, can't blame a person for the stupidity of their parents.

Also, to Pop, hope the big day hurries here. Our first daughter was born to the day and our second daughter was a scheduled C-section so I don't know much about the wait and see game. But a new life sure is exciting.
[The Wave]

[ November 13, 2003, 09:01 AM: Message edited by: beatnix19 ]

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Pop, thank heaven everyone's okay.

Get off my lawn, indeed.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.