FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » decisions

Author Topic: decisions
cyruseh
Member # 1120

- posted      Profile for cyruseh   Email cyruseh         Edit/Delete Post 
Its taking a long time for me to reach the 1000 posts mark. I wanted to wait until then, to give a landmark post, and I will, it will include some of what I have here now. But I have a question that needs answering.

I graduated highschool at the age of 17, and turned 18 on my first day of college. I was not a good student in highschool. I learned many things, but it was on my own, reading books, not in the class room. So I was limited in my choice of colleges. I went to a community college. Something happened when I started going to school there, something changed, and I became a good student. Earning almost straight A's in 15 to 18 credit hour quarters.

I finised the 2 year degree that I had signed up for, An Associates in Computer Support, for lack of anything else I was interested in. And then, I got a job, where I am working now, in the electronic medical billing industry.

I have been working here for 2 years and 2 months now. At one time, my plan was to get really involved in this field, really knowing my stuff, so that I could one day become a manager at a hospitals billing dept.

This past month, I have been in a state of depression that I have never experienced before. I didn't believe in depression, because I always thought that those who were depressed, were really those people that just couldnt suck it up and keep on going. But somehow, I have become very lonely, and this is causing my depression. Working in the same cubicle day in and day out is not helping much.

So, at the age of 22, I am going to make some decisions. I have not made any decisions yet, just dreams. But, I have thought that I could go down to Embry-Riddle Aeronautical School, a very expensive flight school.

I will be able to transfer many of my classes from the community college. And I am thinking, if I start out in the Summer quarter, then I will maybe be able to start the Fall, as a Junior. My question is, at 22, is that too old for this? Maybe for those who are older, they will laugh at me. But it really is weird. I have had this idea that I am too old to go to a 'real' college, to live in a dorm room.

I dont have any money, but by May, I will be debt free. I will have to take out a tremendous amount of loans to cover the costs. It could cost me 30,000 or maybe more.

I dont know exactly what I am looking for from you guys... support, criticism, advice, anything really, its all applicable.

Thanks guys!

Posts: 879 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
I finished college at the age of 30. I had dropped out for a few years and finally went back to finish my degree. I was working full time and had a kid. It took me 4 years to finish 2 years worth of work.

As a 22 year old junior you will not be old. Hell, some seniors might be that old. There will only be a years difference, tops. Your real life experience will stand you in good stead in most of your classes. You will know how things really work.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
Totally not too old. Don't even think about it. I think it's a great idea. Go for it!
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think you should worry about your age - as msquared said, you won't be old, there will be plenty of people older than you and younger than you.

Also, while I was in college, I knew a guy who transfered from a community college and started at my as a 25-year-old junior living in a dorm. I thought it was cool and really admired him because I knew how hard he worked to get to where he was and how difficult it must have been for him to overcome the some of the same doubts you're facing.

Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure you learn how to land, 'cause otherwise it's suspicious.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
1) You are never to old to learn, or to go to school, or to change your life.
2) Check the net and everywhere for college money. Someone some where has a tuition reimbursement plan for would be aeronautic students.
3) Don't understimate the power of any mental disorder, including depression. If these thoughts continue, please, please, please get some help. Go to a doctor, or a counselor if you must, or your priest/rabbi/minister/high-priestess/whoever. Depression is a disease, like the Mumps or AIDS or Strep Throat. You do not ignore your appendix when it ruptures, do not ignore depression.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
You've already heard it, cyruseh, but 22 is definitely not too old. I was 23 when I finished my BA, and certainly wasn't much older than most of the other people who graduated that year. The debt is a daunting prospect, but 30K really isn't that much money. Definitely live frugally, so that you don't jack that debt up into something that will be hard to handle once you graduate and get a job, but don't let fear of debt keep you in a situation in which you feel miserable. Go for it.

Sorry to hear that you've been depressed, by the way. I'm glad that you're taking steps to help yourself.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
cyruseh

Definately go for it!! A dream, a goal, is the best way to pull you out of the dolldrums. Give yourself something to shoot for.

I went back to college as an adult, and finished again just before I turned 40. Was single parent with three teens and working fulltime the whole time. If I can do it, you can -- age is NO factor!

For money -- look up funds available by registering with Fastweb.com They will point you to things you qualify for.

Good luck!

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a friend in my dorm who is 25, nothing wrong with that [Smile]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
)I have been depressed several times, and I when I'm feeling okay I re-adopt the "suck it up" attitude.

When I was in the mid 700's, I also felt I would never make it to a thousand. Now I am in the mid 900's and I'm starting to worry people still don't know me well enough to want to read my landmark. With the exception of the few people who think I'm a total right or left wing lunatic.

I'd recommend you seek treatment before you make a major move like this. Not to discourage you, but if you do go into it with a load of debt and it doesn't fix your depression, then what? (you can see why I wind up depressed [Wink]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cyruseh
Member # 1120

Thank you all so much for the encouragement. I have not made any decisions yet, so I do not knwo exactly what I will do. But I think that I will be going back to school, if things stay the way they are now. I guess it just depends on what happens.

But, I have wanted to fly since as long as I can remember. My uncle is an airline pilot, and I always loved the way his work appeared to be. But as I got older, I got in to the 'real world' mentality and never thought about it. But now, I have been taking flight lessons, and plan to get my license in a couple of months here. And I am getting an attitude of, I know the airline industry isnt the most promising or secure industry, but its what I want to do. Now, I may just decide to go to a regular college, and get a bachelor in something else or I may decide to go the embry-riddle or some other aeronautical college, and get the bachelor in aeronautical science. It will cost me a bunch, at least 50,000 I think, but it will get me a step closer to getting the kind of job that I want.

I am never one to set my plans in stone, I know that anything can change between now and then, but I am pretty certain that I will be going back to school.

Posts: 879 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
I took calsses with a 75 year old retiree. She had always wanted to get he teaching degree and she just decided to go for it. We all had the highest respect for her. 22 is nothing! Go for it.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Go for it!! Good luck!! [Smile]

I know a 29-year-old who just enrolled as a freshman this fall. Trust me, it's ok!! That's an awesome decision to make!

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
If flying is something that you've always wanted to do, then absolutely go for it. People make a career of it, and there's no reason why you can't also.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Do it. My friend's a pilot, and he didn't enter flight school until he was 23.

22 really is nothing. Part of this is the effect of missions on a linear education-gathering, but, basically, you finish college anytime before 25 and you're fine. (2 + 4-5 for school). You've been living. This is just part of life. It isn't a race.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cyruseh
Member # 1120

quote:
You've been living. This is just part of life. It isn't a race.
Thanks, for some reason, that really helped me think a little better about all of this. Thanks [Smile]
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
As others have said, 22 is no barrier at all. Many students go back to college sucessfully much older than that.

I have also wanted to fly my whole life. My mother and step-father had pilot licenses, and both worked for the FAA. One of these days I'm going to get my license.

cyruseh, my advice would be to talk your plans over with your uncle the pilot. He can give valuble real-world perspective about your flight school and career plans. But remember, his is just one more opinion--whether he's supportive or not.

One caveat I would throw in--I think you lose medical flight certification if you take any anti-depressants or just about any psychotropic drugs. But counseling for depression or other problems is OK as far as I know. You can check that out on the web easily with a few quick searches.

Good luck with your pilot's license, flight school, and fighting your depression! [Smile]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] My best friend Molly said that to me once, and it stopped me in my anxious tracks when she did. I really like it, too. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
I work by the philosophy that my education is the greatest investment I can ever make, and I'll spend as much as I have to and go into as much debt as I have to to make sure I get one that I like. Also, I work with the belie that college isn't only professional training to go into a career, college is a place to figure out who I am, and what I want to be, in the original sense of the left bank. I don't know if that's any help, but I'd say to do what you want to do, not what your pocketbook wants you to do.
Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.