FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » SoCal RotK Gathering -- or, the Shadow is rebuilding itself... (Page 0)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: SoCal RotK Gathering -- or, the Shadow is rebuilding itself...
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the Wrath of Snood and Journey Down the 101 were both Shinda II. And Shinda III was kat-ilicious. [Big Grin] And Rivka Strikes Back must have been IIIb, 'cuz I have a distinct memory of telling a very skeptical bakery employee to write "Shinda III B" on a cake. *giggle*

But then, you know what they say about sequels . . .

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... See, I think that I remember kat's visit being III and IIIb, but didn't Ic and Cor come down before that?

Anyway, Juliette and I are in.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] Too poor to travel right now. Maybe later.

Irony of ironies, I might be in Irvine on February 24-26 for work.

Hmm.... I wonder if they'd let me come the weekend before? [Smile]

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
*whoop* I'm in Irvine, CA for the next Monday through Wednesday, and I can come earlier - say, the morning of the 22nd.

Where's Irvine? Where's the shinda? If I get to Irvine, am I on anyone's way to hitch a ride? *hopeful*

-----

*looks at map* Hmm... it looks awfully far south. Maybe I could get a car for the weekend...

[ January 26, 2004, 12:57 PM: Message edited by: Javert Hugo ]

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

Irvine is in Central/Southern Orange County, and is about a 15-20 minute drive from where I live, although in the opposite direction from Whittier, where LadyDove lives. But I don't see any reason why I couldn't come pick you up. Unless somebody else is coming from further south than Huntington Beach.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

[Frown] I thought it was too good to be true. Turns out that session is currently on wait-list, so I don't know if a space will open up. If I don't find out within a week, I need to pick another city. This is so sad.
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, is this set in stone?

If so I will ask for the day off and see what happens...

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, a space opened up!

Yay for selling out to corporate culture! *grin* I'll be in town the morning of the 22nd, so I can come. [Smile] I'm registered for the seminar, so I'll be in town no matter what either way. I have a friend in town, though, so if it doesn't, I'll be fine. [Smile]

So, is this real? Is it happening?

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I sure hope it's real, because we're gonna show up. Also, Xavier, we're hoping to visit San Diego that weekend, and if that works out and you get the time off, we'd be happy to drive you up to the Shinda on Sunday. We wouldn't be heading back down afterward, though, so you'd have to fend for yourself in getting home. Rivka sounds amenable, so you're probably ok there.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Okay, I'm in.

Maybe I can rent a car...I'll have to find out. [Smile]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Great, Pop, that makes my life simpler if I'm only driving to San Diego after. [Smile]

kat, yay!!!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
docmajik - please email me for an address and directions.

kat - What airport are you flying into? Do you want a ride or would you prefer to rent a car?

[ January 28, 2004, 01:25 PM: Message edited by: LadyDove ]

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Okay, now I'm confused. Is it on Sunday, the 22nd, or Saturday, the 21st?

Either way, I'm arriving Saturday morning, the 21st. If the Shinda is the 22nd, I'll spend that day with my friend. If otherwise, then otherwise.

Turns out I get a rental car for my stay (yay!) so I'll be driving from Irvine. Does that help anyone? Xav, you need a ride back to San Diego?

rivka
Member # 4859

kat:
quote:
Update for Shinda VI:
Date: Sunday February 22, 2004
Time: 1PM -> ?
Place: My House

[Edit: [Big Grin] I should probably point out that I'm quoting LadyDove's post above, before I start confusing people about the location.]

[ January 29, 2004, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

saxon75
Member # 4589

kat, if you'd prefer to ride with us rather than be stuck in the non-carpool lanes, Irvine is totally close to us. On the other hand, driving yourself from Irvine to the Dove house would be more adventurous. So I guess there's pros and cons either way. Let me know what you think.
katharina
Member # 827

saxon75: Oh, if it isn't out of the way, I'd totally love a ride. [Smile] Yay for carpool lanes!

rivka: [Razz] I thought for the longest time the 22nd was Saturday. I confused the poor ladies at the travel office with my insistence on traveling that day. *sigh*

Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Moose is going to have my ass for this, but I can't come. My brother's currently stationed at a Naval base in Italy, and just asked for a leave of absence to come down and visit me to help me train for this bike trip. He's more pumped about it than I am.

Gah, I'm sorry, dudes. I promise to get photos online to make up for this. And Moose, I'm biking out to his house soon. But I can't pass up this opportunity to see my brother -- it's been years since he left, and I really do love the big oaf.

Before it's asked, of course I'll try to redirect him toward the Shinda -- but given his opinion of Internet-intensive people, I doubt he'll do any more than write you off as lonely weirdos and encourage me to pick up chicks at Nymphomaniacs Anonymous.

Yes, I'm the more delicate one of the two of us.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
<Is so excited that he gets to have Lalo's ass.>

Hope you enjoy your time with your brother. I guess we need a new name for the Shinda....

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Because saying I'm "undiscovered" makes no sense in light of my latest announcement?
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

I didn't think anyone would pass up on the oppurtunity to see me in the flesh. [Frown]

Well if you think family is more important than hatrack, let me tell ya...

Ummm, well, maybe you're right.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

For eats, I'm thinking lasagna, green salad and assorted munchables (fresh fruit, etc.). Are there any special requests?
Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Sounds wonderful -- we have no special requests. Xavier, since Mooselet pulled through surgery so well, our plans to visit San Diego are on. We'll probably aim for leaving some time between 11 and noon, but depending on how things go, perhaps we could meet for breakfast before we leave? That way we have time to decide whether or not you wouldn't be welcome in our van for that long a drive. Er, I mean... then we'll have more time to spend together! Anyway, our SD plans are still pretty nebulous, and we should probably talk before finalizing. Is your cell still the (315) one, or do you have a new number? If so, drop it to me in e-mail or something. Rivka, you're still able to give Xavier a ride home?

--Pop 'n' Crew

Xavier
Member # 405

Theres a "mandatory" meeting on the 22nd from 8-10AM for my work, but I was thinking about skipping it. I had already asked for the day off before they scheduled the stupid meeting anyway.

But even if I go to the meeting, if you were to meet me at my house at 10:15AM or so we'd have plenty of time for breakfast anyway [Smile] .

Glad to hear Mooselet is alright, and looking foward to meeting you guys!

Yeah, my number is still (315) 532 - 2009. Nobody seems to care that its long distance, since most everyone is moving toward free long distance cell phones like I have. I will still eventually change it, but not any time soon [Smile] .

Oh and as long as there's some meat-free lasanga, sounds great [Smile] .

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Meat-free lasagna for breakfast? Weird. Not sure I can find a place that serves that -- you already know of one?
Xavier
Member # 405

Edit: Duh, I replied seriously.

I must be tired [Smile] .

But anyway, what were you thinking for breakfast? There's an IHOP a couple blocks from me, but I'm sure there's some diners and things on the way too.

[ February 14, 2004, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: Xavier ]

rivka
Member # 4859

I can still get Xav home to SD, check. [Smile]

Xavier, could you email me your address, please? I like to print out maps before I go places -- otherwise I get lost. REALLY lost. And while that can be both fun and interesting, with three kids in the car (not to mention it'll be dark out), I prefer to skip that kind of adventure. [Big Grin]

katharina
Member # 827

Lalo, I cannot BELIEVE you are passing up the chance to meet me in person.
Xavier
Member # 405

The address is 1016 Hornblend St Apt 2.

Or here is a Yahoo map.

Better yet, here is a satellite photo.

[Big Grin]

[ February 15, 2004, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: Xavier ]

rivka
Member # 4859

Thanks, Xav. [Smile]
saxon75
Member # 4589

Just confirming: 1 PM this Sunday at LadyDove's?
katharina
Member # 827

Saxon, can I still get a ride?
saxon75
Member # 4589

Have you checked your email lately? [Smile]
LadyDove
Member # 3000

Mike-
You got it. Be there or be square!

Xavier
Member # 405

Pops, I'm getting my tongue pierced tomorrow, and I hear that you can't eat solid food for a few days.

So the IHOP for breakfast is out, but I would still love to go to a diner that sells breakfast food and soup.

And I can bring a can to Shinda so nobody has to make special arrangements for food. Other than that, everyone can feel free to pick on the lisp I'm sure to have [Big Grin] .

Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, rivka, to answer your question, it is not a coincidence that Xavier is getting his tongue pierced. As a matter of fact, we both are getting it done Friday between 1:45 and 2:00 CST. [Razz]
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*looks innocent*

I didn't ask!

Ok, ok, so I was thinking it . . . [Wink]

Xavier
Member # 405

Tongue ring experience is awesome, and I'm so very glad I did it. [Smile]

And I get to meet the entire moose clan tonight!

*does happy dance*

Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
That was so awesome! It hardly hurt at all (except for that clamp). Thanks for being my piercing buddy, Xavier. [Kiss] Can't wait to see yours! Speaking of....anyone want to do another Cali get together in the summer so I can come?
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

I've heard that it hurts more on the second day than the first. But to answer your question, I'm sure there will be at least one SoCal get-together this summer, given how many there were last summer.
rivka
Member # 4859

Erm, am I the only one who has concerns about doing so much driving in this kind of rain? (which all the weather reports I can find indicate will be just as heavy tomorrow?)
Xavier
Member # 405

rain? There are actually parts of the country in which driving in rain is a scary thought?

I would offer to drive, being that I am quite comfortable driving in near white-out blizzard conditions.

I don't technically have my license back yet. The suspension period has ended, but I haven't sent in the 25 bucks or so I need to get it back.

*Strongly hopes rain doesn't ruin Shinda*

rivka
Member # 4859

My father -- not generally one who tends to overreact -- thinks I'm nuts to even consider it. I have a mini-van, not something with 4WD, and it's been POURING on and off all day here, and from what I can tell, out your way and LD's way too.

It's not a question of my driving abilities -- I'm a pretty good driver, I think. [Smile]

I don't know what to do. I really want to see everyone, but I am concerned. [Frown]

[Edit: every sentence needs a verb]

[ February 22, 2004, 12:45 AM: Message edited by: rivka ]

rivka
Member # 4859

The sun came out! And looking at weather sites, it hasn't done so just here. [Smile]

Am packing up kidlets and food for the journey. [Wink] We'll be heading straight to LadyDove's from gymnastics.

See y'all in a few! [Big Grin]

katharina
Member # 827

The shinda was great! Pop brought out his guitar and we all got to sing. Everyone knew the words to Yesterday, Christine and I sang Starry Starry Night, and Pop and Squirrel sang One Boy, One Girl. When placed in the spotlight, Xavier forgot the words to Imagine and I forgot the words to Hey Ya (excorcism successful).
rivka
Member # 4859

Home. Sweet, sweet home.

Rain. Lots of rain. Dark. Did I mention the rain?

I am very very glad to have not been in any of the three accidents that I passed on the way back from Xavier's. Even gladder not to have been in the HUGE accident that totally blocked off the 5 as they brought in CHiPpies, ambulances, firetrucks, MORE CHiPpies . . .

Less happy about the whole sitting and waiting -- and WAITING -- for what turned out to be 30+ minutes before they let us through. With kids who, of course, woke up. Wanting a bathroom Right Now! and then wanting to know what had happened and why there were so many cops and ambulances. [Frown]

Waiting was a pain. Getting there a few minutes earlier could have been ever so much more painful. [Angst]

I hope all the other Shinda-ers made it back home safe and sound!

We had a GREAT time today -- thanks again for your warm hospitality, LadyDove and family!

Loved seeing the Doves, the Meese, the Storms, and Kat again. Was great to meet the Magics and Xavier. [Smile]

And now it is known, I should never be allowed to play air hockey. [Wink] I guess I'll stick to Scrabble. [Big Grin]

saxon75
Member # 4589

You're dead to me, rivka.
rivka
Member # 4859

*pat pat* Yes, saxon, whatever you say.
Xavier
Member # 405

Okay, I was asked to post pics, and feel bad for not posting about it yet.

First of all, I had a great time! And now I am officially real.

First off was dinner Friday night. Papa picked me up, and we had a nice chat on the way to his Mom's house. He picked on me quite a bit, which set the standard for the rest of the weekend. He's even funnier in person though, and loves to share his useless knowledge (so I now know a rule about interstates I was blissfully ignorant of) [Wink] . It was also my first introduction to Mooselet, who is an insanely cute kid whether he is happy (sorry bout the bad pic, but expression is priceless) or looking somewhat forelorn.

When we got to his Mom's I was introduced to Mama Squirrel and Superstation (I apologize for not having my redeye filter on) and Papa's mother. Superstation is perhaps the most well-behaved and happy infant I have ever encountered. He was delighted the entire time he was around us. Mama is a great woman, if a little quiet (perhaps to compensate for her hubby).

We then drove to the restaurant, and in time the whole Moose clan had arrived (the empty chair is mine). Its a very friendly family, with what seemed to be a competitive edge. There was talk of an ongoing argument as to the nature of water vapor vs. steam. Across from Papa (whom I'm assuming everyone recognizes, but is the one in the black shirt) is his brother Dan, who had some funny interactions with Papa. I'll bet they are the same together now as they were as kids. later on in the dinner, I snapped a pic of the hatracker Mooses (Meese?).

Overall I had a great time, and had an experience I am told no hatracker has done before. The dinner was made difficult because of the previously mentioned tonguering.(and also pictured here) I was feeling adventurous and ordered the pizza, and while it was good, my tongue has yet to go down to the previous size.

Then Sunday was the Shinda [Big Grin] .

Papa Moose brought me to it, and more interesting conversation commenced (at least from my side). We were the first ones there, and so got to meet everyone as they came in. First of course we met Ladydove (who somehow stayed out of all my pics!), who is a very nice lady, and has an incredible house (with a waterslide even).

Next I believe was kat or rivka and the rivkettes. They both came around the same time I think. Katharina was by far the guest who surprised me the most, and in a very pleasant way. I'm ashamed to admit that I was worried that we wouldn't get along very well with (considering I don't think we've ever posted on the same topic of any topic here), but she was so very friendly and sweet that I immediately had to adjust my preconcieved notions about her.

Rivka is a very strong woman, and you can feel her presense in a conversation. At first I thought she dissaproved of me (maybe cause of the tongue-ring), but as the night went I think on she either warmed up to me, or my initial thinking was wrong. Either way she seems to be a very intelligent and strong opinioned woman with a great (if unpronouncable [Wink] group of kids). I owe her SO MUCH for bringing me all the way home from it, and am relieved she made it home okay. At first I scoffed at being afraid of driving in the rain, but the freeway changed my mind completely. Several times we had to brake sharply to avoid someone. Thank you again rivka.

Next came Mike (aka saxon75) and his pretty wife Julliete (who Superstation loved to look at). Mike is a very softspoken and laidback dude, even when informing me that I had been pronouncing sakeriver wrong. The sad thing about that one is that if I had considering it even for a couple seconds in the months since learning about it, I would have figured it out.

Last to come was docmagic, with his wife and two children. Regretably, I don't think I got a chance to talk to him very much, and so don't have too much to say. At the end of the night I even called him Mike. Perhaps because there was already two there, and must have assumed all the males were named such [Roll Eyes] .

Then we talked and ate a bunch, and a few hatrack thread type conversations broke out. At one point there were three seperate sub-conversations on the nature of gravity and electromagnetic force, and I felt right at home [Smile] .

We then moved into the living room to talk.(in all these pics, imagine the other half of the room being filled with the rest of the guests), and I got to play with Timmy (superstation). I have had very little experience with children of that age (almost none), so I was afraid to even pick him up. I did eventually though, and spent some time doing my best to ammuse him [Big Grin] . Eventually, it was kat's turn, and she seemed like a natural, so I'm sure Timmy didn't mind one bit.

After a while, Pop broke out his guitar and we had sing-alongs the rest of the night (that I was present for). Don't let the expressions fool you, we were delighted [Wink] . My fav of the night was probably Yesterday. Mama Squirrel, Kat, and Moose have surprisingly good singing voices. I didn't know all the words to any of the songs, which was perhaps a blessing for everyone else, so as not to cause deafness and bleeding from the ears.

After quite a few songs, it was Mike's turn, but alas, he was a bit shy to lead any sing-alongs. Later on I played kat and then rivka in air-hockey. I swear I didn't meant to beat rivka is badly as I did, but I'm sure she will return the favor in scrabble any day now.

And then it was time to go, and I was sad, but I was very glad to have gone, and hope to be invited to the next one! (though with more obvious deformity to appease doc and ladydove)

Pics I didn't link in story:
Pop rocking out on the guitar.
Another of Pop with a captive audience (imagine the other side of the room being filled remember)
Just taking a pic of Mooselet, as he screams to have pictures taken of him.

[ February 24, 2004, 07:10 AM: Message edited by: Xavier ]

rivka
Member # 4859

Xavier, thanks for posting the pics! They're great. [Smile] I'm not sure which one is my favorite -- it's a toss-up between "Rivka drinks radiator fluid" and "DocMagic with Possessed Child." [Wink]

quote:
I swear I didn't meant to beat rivka is badly as I did
See, what you're supposed to say is you had to try really HARD to beat me as badly as you did. Although that would be patently untrue . . . [Big Grin]

And I'm sorry if I gave you the impression that I disapproved of you -- I do NOT, at all. Tongue-rings, I confess, squick me out -- sorry. [Dont Know] But I think YOU are a great guy, with a good idea of where you are, and where you're going, and how you're going to get there. Quite impressive. [Smile]

katharina
Member # 827

Oooo...the pictures are out! Yay! Hey, why aren't you in them. There's picture of your tongue, but none of you or Christine! Although you did get her back in one picture.

Great recap, by the way. [Smile]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.