FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A Thanksgiving Feast, Suicide, or Murder?

Author Topic: A Thanksgiving Feast, Suicide, or Murder?
Caleb Varns
Member # 946

- posted      Profile for Caleb Varns   Email Caleb Varns         Edit/Delete Post 
Click if you dare.
Posts: 1307 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Mr Meiwes told investigators he took Mr Brandes back to his home, where Mr Brandes agreed to have his penis cut off, which Mr Meiwes then flambeed and served up to eat together.
Aah! AAAAHHH!
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
That was incredibly disgusting. I really can't understand some people, how is it possible that they think like this? [Frown]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
*shudder* cannibalism may not be illegal but murder still is last time I checked!

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luthe
Member # 1601

- posted      Profile for luthe   Email luthe         Edit/Delete Post 
they apparently have the same problem in Scotland
Posts: 1458 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Caleb...

I'm not sure you should've posted this so soon before your own Thanksgiving feast. Probably tipped your hand too much...

Puts a whole new meaning on "give me a hand with dinner."

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brenuine
Member # 5891

- posted      Profile for Brenuine   Email Brenuine         Edit/Delete Post 
AAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! EW EW EW EW EW EW!!!!!!!!

My Thanksgiving has officialy been ruined, not that I looked forward to it anyway. That has to be one of the most disgusting things I've seen in a long time. Too bad it's the type of thing that will probably turn into a made-for-tv movie. That's just sad.

Posts: 24 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caleb Varns
Member # 946

- posted      Profile for Caleb Varns   Email Caleb Varns         Edit/Delete Post 
Well keep in mind that I'm the only person saying that I'm NOT going to be cooking for our meal.

[Smile]

I ran across this story completely at random. What disturbs me so much about it is that the victim apparently OFFERED himself for this gruesome death, and even took part in the "dining" process.

They also got the whole thing on video, according to the article.

I wonder if the victim thought the few tastes of himself he was able to indulge in before being chopped up and put into the freezer were worth it. Actually I don't wonder, cuz it's making me sick to think about it.

Posts: 1307 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
So, if you aren't going to cook, will you at least be renting The Cook The Thief His Wife Her Lover, for pre-Thanksgiving meal entertainment?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sugar+Spice
Member # 5874

- posted      Profile for Sugar+Spice   Email Sugar+Spice         Edit/Delete Post 
Did they by any chance share a nice bottle of Chianti, before the chopping up and putting in the freezer bit?
So nice to see you again, Clarice...

Honestly sometimes I feel like the policewoman in Fargo - I just 'don't understand it'. I'm not sure who is more terrifying, the guy who chopped up the other man, or the one who volunteered to be eaten.

Posts: 119 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
The one who volunteered to be eaten, hands down. The killer is just sick. The other one...I can't even begin to fathom his mindset. And you know, I really don't want to either. Bleagh.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
That's nothing. I once ate an entire softball team over the course of a long night of high stakes poker.

They tasted like Coors Light.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maethoriell
Member # 3805

- posted      Profile for Maethoriell   Email Maethoriell         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't feel too good. Stupid curiosity.
Posts: 4628 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
It's getting worse...

The trial is going on right now.

Cannibal Confesses in Shocking Trial

WARNING - the story is not for the weak of stomach.

Some toned down highlights:

*The accused described killing and consuming his vicim was "like taking communion."

*Blames it on having a domineering mother and wanting something like a baby brother "to be part of" him.

Yecchh.

He could very well get off with as little as a five year prison sentence. My guess is he'll probably spend the time writing a book and getting a film contract.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to make a thread about this... but I decided not to, because of the gross factor. Turns out someone did anyway...
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Just so long as you blame Caleb. He started it.
[Wink]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"He told me he had had the desire since he was a child to be slaughtered and eaten," Meiwes said. "He was very intelligent and I didn't see any sign that he was disturbed."
I see one.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

I caught that too.

And doesn't it seem strange that the victim's sanity - or lack of it - should even be an issue?

Frankly, it's an extreme, but not completely surprising, consequence of having laws on the books that give lesser penalties if the person killed asked. Frankly, I think it's very likely the law will necessitate a conviction on the lesser charge.

[ December 03, 2003, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Desu
Member # 5941

- posted      Profile for Desu           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see the problem. Both concenting, both adults, the guy does his five years and he's free, all is well in the world.
Posts: 139 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Well...it's not a victimless crime. We only have the killers word for it that the other guy volunteered, right?
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
That and a complete video record of it. *vomiting smilie*

Hobbes [Smile]

[ December 03, 2003, 09:03 PM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

- posted      Profile for Black Mage           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's something fun to think about:

The place this guy's from, Rotenburg, that's the town my dad went to school in--the village he grew up in is right nearby.

I'm going over there for Christmas this year. Someone hold me. I'm scared. [Angst]

Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Bob, as Hobbes said, everything is on tape. That includes the victim giving the killer permission to mutilate him (they shared a meal that consisted of one of his body parts), followed by killing and butchery.

I think the law dictates a conviction on the lesser offense. Definitely not saying that's a good thing - just think that the reality of the law won't leave room for a harsher murder conviction.

Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
I would be absolutely, vomitously disgusted if I wasn't already jaded by graphic video games and slasher movies.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck!

Except something in me wanted to share this, so I turned to my roommate and told her... she's laughing so hard she's crying. I think she's jaded too.

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, God. How terrible. On another note, this may be the first actual snuff film ever. What a landmark... sheesh...
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not so sure it's all that sick.

We probably taste just like chicken.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
You test it first, Ed.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I'm sort of reminded of the scene from Restaurant at the End of the Universe where your meal comes up and begs you to eat it.

Blech!

sndrake
Member # 4941

In real-life, it was more reminiscent of some of the stories that came out of the Charles Manson "family." At least one member of the "family" was reportedly killed at his own request.

For those who remember, Charles Manson used material from Henlein's "Stranger in a Strange Land" as a basis for being a guru of sorts. Cannibalism was one of the themes of that book.

Edit to add: I am not laying blame for Manson's activities at Henlein's door - the book was fiction and he never meant anyone to take it as anything other than that.

[ December 04, 2003, 09:51 AM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think the law dictates a conviction on the lesser offense. Definitely not saying that's a good thing - just think that the reality of the law won't leave room for a harsher murder conviction.
Actually, the law won't let people consent to certain things - such as GBH and murder. So the victim's consent is completely irrelevant, as you can't legally consent to such acts.
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. THis may sound strange, but would you mind making the thread title MORE graphic? I'm serious. So that people don't think this is for a mystery dinner theater.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say your thread title was genius, Caleb. Keep up the gruesome work. Muhahah!
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

- posted      Profile for Black Mage           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We probably taste just like chicken.
Actually, in texture and flavor, we taste most like pork.
Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Nuthin goes together quite like Thanksgiving and gruesome, gruesome homicide.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

quote:
Actually, the law won't let people consent to certain things - such as GBH and murder. So the victim's consent is completely irrelevant, as you can't legally consent to such acts.
Imogen, it's true that in the United States, at least, so far, consent to be murdered isn't a defense. And while it's not strictly legal in Germany, they have created a special category for "murder by request":

quote:
Meiwes's lawyer has pleaded for him to be convicted of "killing on request," a form of illegal euthanasia which carries a maximum five years sentence.

This lower murder charge with a light penalty was probably related to advocacy on the part of pro-euthanasia activists (there are active organizations all over Europe.).

Obviously, this is not what they had in mind - they wanted the lower charge to apply only in cases when somebody killed an old, ill or disabled person at their request.

*shrug* Right now, the Germans are over a legal barrel with this cannibalism case. Maybe it will get them to reexamine the wisdom of this particular statute.

Desu
Member # 5941

- posted      Profile for Desu           Edit/Delete Post 
All that over a fat concenting Dutchman with a side of French tartar.
It's like discovering a new dimension in wordplay.

Posts: 139 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know about the German law sndrake, the category sounds quite interesting. But I do know in the common law countries you cannot legally consent to murder or GBH.

There was a case in the UK called R v Brown which confirmed this: that was to do with an extreme S&M group. The House of Lords found that the participants couldn't consent to the acts that were perpetrated.

(When I say 'legally consent' I don't mean that you can't say yes: just that the courts won't pay any attention to the fact you did. It's like statutory rape charges: an underaged person cannot legally consent to intercourse).

Edit: in terms of assisted suicide (kinda like killing on request, I guess) I think this case would be different because of the mutilation. I would be suprised if the German Supreme Court (too lazy to type out the real name) found one could legally consent to that type of mutilation.

[ December 05, 2003, 12:37 AM: Message edited by: imogen ]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.