FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » . . . and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve

Author Topic: . . . and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Insults disguised as compliments and compliments that sound like insults:

1. Your laugh isn't nearly as annoying as it used to be.

2. You fill that dress so nicely!

3. You're quite good for a beginner.

LotR nuts, please help me fix my title. Thanks.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
One I got this summer:
"You're not nearly as bad as you were when I met you!" Um... thanks... I think. [Confused]

Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Are you asking for the beginning of that line?

The whole line is: "I don't know half of you half as well I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

[ December 01, 2003, 05:23 PM: Message edited by: saxon75 ]

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I was sure I'd gotten it wrong. All right then. [Smile] Thanks.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
"you two could be sisters" is nearly always excessive to the mother (or brother!) and insulting to the girl.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Or the boy...
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
"You are not an unintelligent writer."

From "Ralph the Duck" by Frederick Busch.

You can pretty much say anything you want to about anyone and get away with it, as long as you stick a "bless his heart" or "bless her heart" at the end.

"That boy is a couple sandwiches short of a picnic, bless his heart."

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

quote:
[ROFL] Thanks for posting that, it's probably the first time I've laughed all day!
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
What a coincidence--it's the first time all day that I've made someone laugh!

Glad to help. [Big Grin]

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BobbyK
Member # 5970

- posted      Profile for BobbyK   Email BobbyK         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You can pretty much say anything you want to about anyone and get away with it, as long as you stick a "bless his heart" or "bless her heart" at the end.

*DIES* TOOOOOO true THNX bot
Posts: 213 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
From my wife's crazy granny (after seeing me all dressed up): "You sure do clean up nicely."
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I am (unfortunately) very good at making mistaken comments like these, at which people are very offended, but I meant as a consoling or comforting comment.

I once told someone "It's okay, I can't act either." I didn't understand why she was so mad!

Now I just keep my clumsy mouth shut!

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

I'm always the one people are making those kinds of comment to.
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm always the one people are making those kinds of comment to.
[Frown] I apologise on behalf of my kind...
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starla*
Member # 5835

- posted      Profile for Starla*   Email Starla*         Edit/Delete Post 
Once---on a first date---the guy told me some people thought he was gay.

I said, without thinking, "Oh, yeah, I can see that."

(Open mouth, insert foot)

Granted, we ended up dating for a couple of months and are now good friends.

I think the best one I ever got was "Well, I don't think you're all that smart, but you got a really nice @$$, and that's why I like you." [Mad]

Posts: 463 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Law Maker
Member # 5909

- posted      Profile for Law Maker   Email Law Maker         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother and I made this one up long ago in the delirium of an early morning paper route that we shared and I still use it today.

"When it comes to (insert activity here*), you are an eagle!"

*It only works if the activity is not something eagles do well.

EG: "When it comes to playing that piano, you are an eagle!"

Posts: 46 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abrynne
Member # 5826

- posted      Profile for Abrynne   Email Abrynne         Edit/Delete Post 
These do seem blatant but I love them anyway and they may not seem as obvious to the more...ditzy woman lol

"Aah, Miss Blane, you dance like a herd of cattle. You're truely an amazing woman. You light up a room simply by leaving it."

Posts: 51 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
Its killing me, where is the post line from?
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking it's a Jane Austen, but I'm probably wrong. [Dont Know]
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Bilbo's farewell speech, in Fellowship of the Ring.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

D'oh! I thought he was talking about Abryne's post.
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
I KNEW it was a movie that I should have realized contained those words. *walks off feeling stupid*
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abrynne
Member # 5826

Well if anyone's curious mine's from Kate & Leopold. It's one of my favorite chick flick lines.

quote:
Well there are plenty of those:

"A few buttons missing on the remote control"
"A few cards short of a deck"
"A few bricks short of a load"

et cetera!

[ December 01, 2003, 11:46 PM: Message edited by: Abrynne ]

Posts: 51 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Feyd Baron
Member # 1407

- posted      Profile for Feyd Baron   Email Feyd Baron         Edit/Delete Post 
"You're about as stealthy as a boulder rolling through a forest."

Said to me by a friend when I asked how he knew where I was, just after getting a bit annoyed at low branches and knocking over a few small trees.

"The wheel is still spinning, but the hamster is long since dead."

Heard many times, in many places.

"A dim bulb gets just a little bit brighter."

I've used this for years, not sure where it came from.

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1000 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

Abryne, that's probably why I was thinking it was a Jane Austen quote. I always thought Kate and Leopold was sort of Jane Austen-ish.
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
I started getting gray hair early, in my 20's. The first place the gray hair appeared was around my temples, so when it was long, I guess it framed my face.

After I got my hair cut really short, a woman who worked in my office thought it was ok to say the following:

"Now that you've gotten your hair cut, I want to tell you: That the long gray hair was really ugly." [Eek!] [Roll Eyes]

**Ela**

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
When my oldest was two weeks old, I went to a friend's wedding, bambina in tow.

Got lots of congrats. One was rather memorable: "Oh, I didn't realize you were pregnant! I just thought you'd put on some weight." >_<

[ December 02, 2003, 06:13 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

- posted      Profile for Black Mage           Edit/Delete Post 
A few fries short of a happy meal.

My second cousin, an English teacher in Germany, had me write that down for him.

Er-hem. True story, in class, my friend Lena studying for her math exam.

Lena: Uh. I can't get this. I'm so stupid!

Me: [innocently] Aww, you're not that stupid.

5 seconds later I figure out what I just said.

I've done that in many situations, and always by accident.

Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
A favorite of mine comes from George Carlin and I've been sorely tempted to use it more times than I can keep track of:

He was talking about discouraging acquaintances he didn't care for much who kept calling and wanting to have a conversation. And how sometimes the way you decide to discourage them ends up being harsher than you intended.

"Ya know, I don't talk to people I like as much as I talk to you."

As he said, it was probably more than was needed to accomplish the task.

*sigh* I'll probably never get to use it - I'm too invested in maintaining my false persona as a supportive person. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wussy Actor
Member # 5937

- posted      Profile for Wussy Actor   Email Wussy Actor         Edit/Delete Post 
My grandfather's favorite:

"You don't sweat much for a fat girl."

Posts: 288 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

Ah, yes. That reminds me of the year I almost got my girlfriend a diet book for her birthday. Look, I thought she was thin, but she always claimed to be fat.

Luckily, I was stopped in time.

Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Black Mage, are you a Weird Al fan?

"If I were any dumber, they'd have to water me twice a weeeeeek!" [Wink]

[edit=I'm referring to the "few fries short of a happy meal" quote and NOT your post above...though that would have been bad!! [Big Grin] ]

[ December 03, 2003, 12:47 AM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
"Those are ankles built to walk across the plains."
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
My mom works in a nursing home. Recently, an old, southern guy said "you make a mighty fine [n-word]." And my mom's white...

She just said "thank you." No use trying to explain color, let alone political correctness, to a guy that barely remembers how to control his bowels.

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
"You're a terrible liar."
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abrynne
Member # 5826

Here are a couple of my most favorite insults:

"You're doing this job with the efficiency of a one-legged man at a butt kicking contest!"

"The only purpose your brain serves is to keep your skull from caving in."

Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

Yesterday one of the guys I work with looks at my notebook and says "You have guy's handwriting". I said "excuse me?" He looked at more of my writing and said "oh, you are such a guy". He proceeds to tell me why that's supposed to be a good thing, and says "You have the body of a woman and the mind of a guy." He claims that that's the best of both worlds. [Dont Know]

I don't know whether to be flattered or insulted.

ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
My dad once said to my mom, "Libba, you're one in a hundred thousand." It was one of his jokes.

Oh, when he was really sick once, during the Far East currency crisis, I asked him how he felt, and he said "I feel like a million Rupiah." That one would make a good left handed compliment, too. "Wow, that dress makes you look like a million Rupiah!"

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Eruve: Be insulted. Kick him where the sun don't shine.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Let me try a few:

I f***** your wife last night, bless her heart.
I really wanna kick that kid's A**, bless his heart.
Go to h***, you stupid mother f***** b******, go to h*** and die, bless your heart.

I don't think that would work.

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

No, you really need to do that behind someone's back, and only descriptions.

Ralphie's an attention whore, bless her heart.

Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone say my name in this thread?
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tabithecat
Member # 5228

- posted      Profile for tabithecat   Email tabithecat         Edit/Delete Post 
the girl that sits across from me at work has delusions of adequacy.

when she opens her mouth, it seems that it's only to change feet.
she's not so much as a has-been but more of a definite won't be.
she brings alot of joy whenever she leaves the room.
I think she has a photographic memory but the lens cover is glued on.
when her IQ reaches 50, she should sell.
if you stand close enough you can hear the ocean.
some drink from the fopuntain of knowledge; she only gargled.
it takes her 2 hours to watch 60 minutes.
she is a gross ignoramus - 144 times worse than an ordinary ignoramus.
she would be out of her depth in a parking lot puddle.

but she's always on time bless her heart. [Razz]

[ December 14, 2003, 09:03 PM: Message edited by: tabithecat ]

Posts: 122 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.