FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Suggest a Gift thread (Page 0)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Suggest a Gift thread
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I almost hate to give it as a gift
Normally you can get high quality copies of photos for just a few bucks if you want to keep your own copy.

Subscriptions are almost never considered as good gifts (or at least not to my knowledge but maybe I'm just ignorant) but I think it's great. I'm thinking about asking my Grandfather for a subscription to The Wall Street Journal. The one reason I can think of for subscriptions to not be given out that often is that they are normally pretty expensive, so even if I did get a subscription it would probably be Sunday only or something like that (I'll have to look into it).

Jeni, where do you get these baskets normally?

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with specifying gifts to Steve is that he won't get them for me. He normally comes up with a good Hardback book anyway. But, there is a particular series of four books that I first asked about for my half birthday, then for an anniversary present, and I really don't think he's going to get them for me for Christmas or my birthday (same day). I sent him the amazon link and everything. I guess I'm just going to have to buy them for myself after I recover from my OSC spending spree.

Last year for my "Christmas" present I got the LOTR trilogy in hardback and then for my "birthday" present I got the Princess Bride. Since that adds up to 3 books for Christmas, and only 1 for my birthday, I figure that to even things out I should have gotten at least two at my half birthday!

And I never know what to get him. I always just see him drooling over stuff (normally computer games) and buy it for him then because I know I'm not going to remember it later. But then, he knows I've bought it and I can't see making him wait around for a particular day when he could be having fun with it in the mean time.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes, I *love* getting subscriptions as a gift, because it's the gift that keeps on coming all year long. My Mom liked the subscription I got her last year, so she'll probably get Englebreit this year. Or Victorian. I did lots of magazine subscriptions last year, just because it was so easy and I like the idea that someone would get a gift from me every month, rather than just on Christmas. I'd never heard it was a bad gift, so it's possible that I offended half my relatives last year. [Dont Know] [Smile]

I get the baskets at Goodwill, usually. They get some really cool ones and it's so inexpensive. A friend of mine suggested for the golf gift to take a Pringles can and cover it in festive paper, then roll the magazine up and stuff it in. Roll the balls down the center, and top it with the tees and tokens, and it should make a fun "basket". I'm going to try it.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I LOVE subscriptions as gifts. My grandparents got me scientific american last year, and it's perfect.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

I guess I'm just sheltered then. [Wink] [Big Grin] I've never heard anyone describe it as a bad gift, I hardly ever hear anyone describe it as a gift at all. [Dont Know] I like it anyways. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Subscriptions can be really cool. When I was in high school, my grandma got me a subscription to National Geographic... it was great.

I always make a point of buying books for my family as a subtle hint to my mom that she lets them watch way too much tv. [Smile] So far, I've found them good copies of Alice in wonderland and a nicely illustrated Beuaty and the Beast. I still need to find something for the 20-year-old marine brother, the 15-year-old sister, and the 4-year-old brother who would probably be satisfied with a cardboard box. [Razz]

I just got really cool books at a used book store for my roommates - one is the hardbound complete Chronicles of Narnia and one is a suede bound version of Rip Van Winkle in mint condition from 1902 done on a letterpress! I have yet to find something for my cowgirl roommate that I don't know very well... this one is puzzling...

Handmade presents are always the best, though. Last year I made stuffed animals and my roommate made Harry Potter scarves, and everyone loved them. And the great thing about handmade presents is the time they require - it's a perfect excuse to procrastinate that final paper. [Smile]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...the fleece throws sound like a good idea, but i don't know if Bill will let life be that simple...

One of the favorite gifts I've given was a "Sweater of the Month" club. I have what Bill calls a sweater buying problem, and I have a friend who hates shopping for them because she gets frustrated trying to find ones with long enough sleeves that aren't freaking huge. So she got a sweater for Sept-Dec on Christmas, and I sent her a new one every month until April. It was so much fun and she loved all of them. We conspired and gave the club to another friend, but traded off months we were buying sweaters.

This year, Bill already has a couple of sewing projects including some pillows for a friend who's just bought a house and a new tree skirt, but that's for us.

The gifts I'm really happy with:

the travels with celia package for my mother. I've gotten her something from several major trips I've taken this year. It includes stuff like wine from the Indiana wine tasting festival, wine from Napa Valley, some really hideous dice earings from Las Vegas and, of course, a couple of signed items from OSC.

The Game of Thrones board game for the friend who loves that type of board game and loves those books and doesn't know the game exists! Thank you so much for telling me about it, Geoff.

The nautical map glass that I had to buy for a friend, even though I didn't know why. He decided to buy a boat, so now I have a great gift. [Smile]

I got my sister a subscription to her favorite magazine so she doesn't have to buy it every month (she won't get a subscription herself [Confused] ).

Bill's getting a case of wine that he can't buy anywhere locally because they don't distribute outside of thier county. Ah, the adventure of driving out to the middle of nowhere in northeast Indiana without knowing where I was going. I also found some old PS games that should provide some nostalgic enjoyment for him and a print by one the local artists that he really likes. I'm thinking of adding the complete far side, since his parents didn't get it for him, but i have to wait until i get a chance to ask my mother. Don't tell him!

Last year was so much easier because we had that trip to Ireland. Everyone got something from that trip. Edit: except Bill who got a PS2 with a few nice violent games.

Edit: Hobbes, don't get us anything. We're getting you a lump of coal and putting it a sock to beat you with if you give us stuff. [Razz]

[ December 02, 2003, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: celia60 ]

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I *love* the Sweater of the Month club idea...that is just plain fun!
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
It is a good thing Bill loathes Hatrack even though he likes me and Hobbes. I hope he doesn't spy on you here occasionally because so much for Christmas surprises then...!

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

I'm more worried about Hobbes spilling the beans than Bill looking here. He hates knowing what he's getting. He won't even handle packages with his name on them because he's too good at guessing what's in them on weight. And I doubt he'd lurk without telling me. If he is, he deserves the ruined surprise. [Smile]

[ December 02, 2003, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: celia60 ]

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
One year my brother got my dad a hatchet for when we go camping and for chopping wood, etc., and he wrapped it in aluminum foil and duct tape and put it under the tree. It was hilarious becuase it looked like the tin woodsman's ax!
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Im giving my siblings a card with a one dollar bill in it. They'll appreciate the time and effort that went into that gift when they are older.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

I'm giving T_Smith a wedgie.
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm making hats for a bunch of my friends but I have a really hard time getting stuff for my guy friends. Guys: what sorts of inexpensive things would you like to get?
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
I think a good gift would be to get somebody a pre-paid years subscription to gamefly.com. No wait, that's just what I want. [Razz]

I don't know, I always loved getting useful things. I don't think guys like knick-knack kind of stuff if you know what I mean. [Smile]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Guys always like food.... (brownies, cookies, cake, candy, cocoa mix, a loaf of bread, etc.)

[ December 02, 2003, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
True. Nothing says "I love you" like a 16 oz New York Steak. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm thinking about asking my Grandfather for a subscription to The Wall Street Journal. The one reason I can think of for subscriptions to not be given out that often is that they are normally pretty expensive, so even if I did get a subscription it would probably be Sunday only or something like that (I'll have to look into it).
Hobbes, Dr.M gets the WSJ print version here in Richmond every day. He says it's between $100 and $200. Of course, he writes it off as a business expense. Most subscriptions are much, much cheaper than that, especially fashion magazines. A subscription to Vogue and W are $12 each. The newsstand price is usually around $4 per issue.

quote:
I always make a point of buying books for my family as a subtle hint to my mom that she lets them watch way too much tv.
Annie, that's exactly what I do for Dr.M's and my cousins! They never seem to get the hint, though.

I do almost all my holiday shopping at Costco and local craft and antique fairs.

A great gift for animal lovers is an adopt-a-wild-animal package. I gave my mother-in-law a dolphin one year and she loved it. They give you updates on where your dolphin is, how it is doing, how they track him or her, etc. Plus, the money goes to the wildlife funds.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't have time/energy to make any year, but homemade canned salsa is great, if you use fresh garden produce it's SO much better than the stuff you buy in the store that's been made with underripe tomatoes that taste like cardboard.

Other good homemade stuff = sundried tomatoes, frozen basil pesto, garlic braids, etc.

Two of my fave subscriptions to give = Funny Times (funny cartoons and essays) and Bust magazine (feminist/pop culture)

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Celia, tell you what, I wont get Bill anything but I already ordered your present (it's probably cheaper than a lump of coal and a sack so no worries [Wink] ) . And don't worry about me spilling the beans, I don't really have time to type this (not that that's going to stop me obviously), unless something unexpected happens I probably wont be able to see either of you until next semester. [Grumble]

Hobbes [Smile]

[ December 02, 2003, 04:35 PM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Kristine made pumpking butter and strawberry preserves to give out to the neighbors and friends while she was home pregnant.

As far as the fleece blanket, one of the coolest baby gifts Ryan got was this dragon fleece blanket.

One of the best gifts I ever did for some of the guys I know was those X10 starter kits. You can go around and set the lights in your house on remote control. You don't have to wander around the house at night turning everything off, you just hit the switch by the bed and it all goes off at once.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Angst] Hatrack White Elephant Exchange [Angst]
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

now i'm confused.
Annie
Member # 295

quote:
I do almost all my holiday shopping at Costco...
Because nothin' says lovin' like a number 10 can of pork 'n beans. [Razz]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

- posted      Profile for Black Mage           Edit/Delete Post 
The soccer girls were fundraising, so I've ordered my mother a four-picture locket.

Erm. .. for you women out there--ya'll like that sorta thing, right?

Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

quote:
Because nothin' says lovin' like a number 10 can of pork 'n beans.
Especially for Chanukkah.

[ December 02, 2003, 06:45 PM: Message edited by: Mrs.M ]

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
*grumbles*

I just found out that some distant relatives decided to draw names for who was going to get presents for who and decided my family ought to be included. Today I got the letter telling me that I had to get a present for someone I haven't spoken to in... ever? Oh, and could I please have it in the mail in time to reach Europe before Christmas. And it should be in the $50 range.

The least the could have done is wish me luck on the finals I'm in the middle of writing or finding a place to live in the New Year.

Wankers! Wankers the lot of them!

So, if you were a British woman somewhere between 30 and 40 with a son (I think?) who's under 10 (again, I think?) what would you want? Oh, and you work... somewhere. Doing stuff for a living.

*sigh*

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

quote:
So, if you were a British woman somewhere between 30 and 40 with a son (I think?) who's under 10 (again, I think?) what would you want? Oh, and you work... somewhere. Doing stuff for a living.
BtL, I would probably want something I couldn't get in Britain. I have no idea what that might be. Sorry. I usually give gifts like Tiffany keychains to people I don't know well. Do you have to buy a gift for the son? If so, get him books.

quote:
I've ordered my mother a four-picture locket.

Erm. .. for you women out there--ya'll like that sorta thing, right?

That sounds very nice, Black Mage. I would put pictures in it, of yourself and other family members - that will give it that extra special touch.
Black Mage
Member # 5800

Well yes, I'm not giving it to her empty. But thanks for the info, o'course--I'm never sure what to get anybody. Usually I'm not sure myself what I want, so it's hard to figure out what others like. I see photo work in the future. The inner locket part, for the second two pictures, is incredibly small.

Now I search out gifts for my father and my brother.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!

Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
I am knitting a scarf for my son. This is a true act of courage and love since it takes me about 15 minutes to tortuously knit three rows. However, I promised him three years ago when he first learned to knit at school, so THIS year I WILL complete it. (Thank heavens for certified knitters at work that can cast me on, fix all my dropped stitches and other boo-boos and in general encourage me to do this simple little project.)
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen some incredible things out there on the internet that I have gotten/will get for people.

Gurgling Jugs are really cool. They're nice looking, and make a fun gurgling noise when you pour liquid out of them.

Giant Microbes for the doctor/scientist you know. They're cute stuffed animals that come with a profile of the bug they're imitating.

Sound bug is a speaker that turns a surface into a speaker. It works only moderately (depends highly on the surface), but it has a really high geek factor.

d20, old. This is supposedly a roman d20 die of glass with different etchings on each side. Not quite a realistic gift, but really really neat.

Spin rings for anyone who likes celtic jewelry. These rings have a middle band that can rotate.

Maybe I'll remember more. But these are what come off the top of my head =)

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm probably getting my parents a paper shredder for Christmas. Not very exciting, but useful.

I have a very picky friend that I always exchange gifts with and I haven't come up with any possible ideas for her yet. NONE. She returns almost anything she is given and returns about 50% of the things she buys herself. I can't pick out jewelry, as she only wears 18K gold, and she is Jewish and I just can't come up with any ideas this year.

Argh.

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Buy her candy. That always works.
Or a gift certificate.

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Those giant microbes are so cool. I really think the common cold and ebola would be cute in my stuffed animal collection.

A friend of mine in elementary school was a model in an ad for plush organs like a smiling stomach or pancreas or large intestine - the theory being that you give them to kids in the hospital as a present and an educational toy. They were actually really cool.

[ December 03, 2003, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: Annie ]

ludosti
Member # 1772

Reminds me of Infectious Awareables, where you can get all sorts of clothing featuring different diseases! (And, yes, I am giving a tie to my brother that I got there)

[ December 03, 2003, 01:33 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

I wanna giant microbe. . .
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
My mother collects Santa Claus figures, mostly of the antique variety. As a joke, I am therefore getting her a Santa in beach clothes from Cracker Barrel. She should love it.
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

So I'm getting my brother a giant microbe as a gag gift. The only question now: ebola or black death.
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
(From a link at Neil Gaiman's website)

There's the mutant "Bunny of the Month" Club:

http://morbidtendencies.com/botmc-details.html

For up to $35/year, you get a mutant stuffed animal every month (two heads, no heads, one ear, six arms, etc.)

[Smile]

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely black death! It's a classic.

Theca, I'm confused. Is it particularly hard to buy 18K gold? I think I have some pieces that are 18K. [Dont Know]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

plaid - I love it!! My personal favorite line:
Real animals parts (e.g. chicken feet, skulls, etc.) OK or NOT OK? Cute or morbid or a mix?

Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka: No, 18k is great but I just wouldn't be able to find anything 18K in the price range we usually use.
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Creepy rabbits. I mean, how much of that stuff is taken from actual dead animals?
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the mutant animals. That woman is very odd yet kinda cool. Did you guys look at the rest of the site? Yikes!
Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
What's the range, Theca? This classic is under $100 (before shipping and such).

She might like these if she likes coffee?

This is interesting, and seasonal too. Another cute one. A less expensive one. (ooh, I like that one! *bookmarks*)

If you want to be really sure she won't return something, you could always have it personalized. [Evil]

[ December 03, 2003, 11:35 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

The mutant rabbits were highly amusing.
hasdy
Member # 5905

- posted      Profile for hasdy   Email hasdy         Edit/Delete Post 
All I have to say is ORIGAMI BOULDERS!!!

http://www.origamiboulder.com/

Posts: 30 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Go to Hobby Lobby, find the clear glass Christmas tree ornaments in the plain white box. Put a few boxes in your basket.

Find the tempera paint. Choose a few different colors: I suggest blue, green, red, and yellow, but definitely get some white. Put them in your basket.

Find the pretty Christmasy ribbon. Put a few yards in your basket.

Find a gold paint marker. Fine tip. Put that in your basket.

Find glitter in a spray can. Gold looks best, IMO, but pick one you like that will compliment the paint you've chosen. Put that in your basket.

Purchase all the things in your basket and go to Wal-Mart. Buy a box of small dixie cups. Go home.

Assembly:

Take the gold top off the ormanent. Be careful, the glass is fragile.

Pour some tempera inside the ornament. Choose one or two colors, and put some white in as well. Put your index finger over the hole, and shake or swirl the paint colors together. Then, pour the excess paint out into a trash can. Try to get as much of the extra paint out as possible, as it will slow the drying time.

Put a pencil or small dowel rod into the ornament. Spray the ornament lightly with the glitter.

Put the ornament, hole side down, in a dixie cup to dry.

Once completely dry, put the gold cap back on. Thread a 9 inch piece of the pretty ribbon through the ring at the top, and tie in a pretty bow.

Use the gold paint pen to write on the ormanent. Last year, I put a name of a member of our family one each one, and 2002 on the back.

Put the ornaments back in the box. Put the lid on, and secure with a length of the same pretty ribbon.

Cost per box: about $3

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Can't go wrong with more guns.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.