FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Guess the Author Game II -- Round Four (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Guess the Author Game II -- Round Four
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
By the same rationale that BelladonnaOrchid used to guess me (I think), I'm going to guess Tresopax. It's not really Tres's writing style, but this piece is so careful that the author obviously went over and over it. And the theme does point to someone who considers religion.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tristan
Member # 1670

- posted      Profile for Tristan   Email Tristan         Edit/Delete Post 
Guesses:

Confirmed wrong:

Saxon75
JonBoy
ScottR
:Locke
T_Smith
ae
Human
Superstation
Ryoko
enjeeo
dkw (not sure if this was a guess, though)
Jaiden
Ethics Gradient
Maethoriell
Morbo
Fugu13
Annie
KarlEd
Irami
Icarus
porcelain girl
Jeni
advise for robots
BannaOj
Tresopax
kwsni
Feyd Baron
Bob_Scopatz
Dan_Raven
Celia
Beatnix19
Tristan
asQmh
Filleted
Da_Goat
Papa Moose
Kama
Teshi
Shlomo
sndrake
Christy
Ryoko
Scythrop
Rivka
Gottmorder
Pat
Solo
CalvinMaker

[ December 08, 2003, 12:19 PM: Message edited by: Tristan ]

Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The writing is overall pretty tight, but I'd like to see a bit more clumsiness, more emotion, more humanity in the character, since most of us are, at least to some extent, clumsy, emotional, and human.
See, to me, Tao's apparent agility and lack of warmth or emotion is precisely what makes the character so interesting. It seems to me that the author is intentionally emphasizing these characteristics, most likely for the purpose of making the character, and thus the viewpoint, alien. I think it works quite well.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Not Tresopax.

I wasn't sure if I was officially guessed or not either, but if it mattered I would have asked for clarification. It's not me.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
btw Tom,thanks for the complement, but I'm not passably familar with anime. In fact I'm mostly unfamiliar. I think I've watched total of five half hour anime segments on TV. There was the one that Steve made me watch because there's a super-corgi on the spaceship that I liked though, it turned really wierd about halfway through. But whoever did the corgi, knew the personality to a T!

AJ

[ December 04, 2003, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this author might be female, so on that note I'm going to guess kwsni. I still really like this piece. Whoever wrote it needs to post the rest of it after he/she is guessed!

For the record I guessed Maethoriell and was wrong. You didn't put her on the list of incorrectly guessed.

Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
The author focuses a lot on the details of the room. Maybe our resident architect, Feyd?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Its tight, mature, focused. I don't have anything to critique about it. Instead I'll give a guess of Bob, who is also know to be occasionally mature, focused, and tight.

(hint. Why hasn't anyone guessed me?)

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe because you're so loose?
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

Based on Dan Raven's last post, I'm guessing Dan Raven.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not loose.

I'm easy. There is a difference.

(ps, never trust Dan Raven when game points are on the line.)

[ December 04, 2003, 05:13 PM: Message edited by: Dan_raven ]

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Noes all around.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

Blast.

Too much loose talk around here.

rivka
Member # 4859

This is about as different as possible from celia's sample from the last game. Thus, I guess celia.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tristan
Member # 1670

OK, I have a theory. Whoever that is currently the author has a vested interest in keeping the thread moving, right? S/he is probably constantly refreshing the thread in the hope of reading new and flattering comments. If there hasn't been a post in a while, he or she might get impatient and unable to resist bumping the thread to attract more attention. Based on this rationale, I'm going to guess Beatnix19, who has the post after the first somewhat longer time intervall. Also, the comments he provide regarding e.g. suspended animation may suggest a familiarity with the backstory that goes beyond what can be deduced from the sample.
Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
See, to me, Tao's apparent agility and lack of warmth or emotion is precisely what makes the character so interesting. It seems to me that the author is intentionally emphasizing these characteristics, most likely for the purpose of making the character, and thus the viewpoint, alien. I think it works quite well.
I definately agree!

And based on Tristan's reasoning I'm going to guess...

Tristan

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, now that I read this again, I am going to take back one thing I said. I said the excerpt lacked warmth of character, but I was in a horrid mood yesterday and wasn't feeling like warming up to anything. Sorry to whoever it was who posted this excellent excerpt. It wasn't you; it was me. *goes back to working on a million projects*
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scythrop
Member # 5731

- posted      Profile for Scythrop   Email Scythrop         Edit/Delete Post 
All right, I'm onto my second guess. Based on the tone and style of his(?) posts, and after extensive trawling through other threads, I'm putting in a vote for asQmh
Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*whispers* her
Scythrop
Member # 5731

- posted      Profile for Scythrop   Email Scythrop         Edit/Delete Post 
*Whispers back* Thanks

Sorry asQmh - my bad.

Her.

Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
Is anyone else a little awed by the ninety people who sent in excerpts.

The first snag I hit was speech and language. Somehow he could name things without having experienced them, maybe some a priori knowledge. I mean, if tao is just coming into the world, and we are seeing this from his perspective, there should be all sorts of, well, sorting problems.

Arms, legs, masculinity, all presuppose that he has a version of the world that he is comparing this one too. Unless these ideas were hardwired into him before he was plugged in. If I were the author, I'd have the awakening like a psychodelic dream, where everything is one thing, and the robot picks up distinctions between objects, and object permanance through interacting with the world.

Cold? What does he know of temperature, or how does he seperate temperature from the thing. Bare feet, what does he know about feet usually being shod. You don't have to answer all of any of these questions, I just there should be genuine befuddlement of the phenoma of waking up. I mean, I can't remember being birthed, but I can't imagine being able to make sense of the sensory information that was bombarding me at the time.
Come to think of it, the only things I was probably able to understand were appetites.
_________

I do like how you've gotten past Wittgenstein's problem of language acqusition by just having him be able to speak. You have just made a profound epistemological statement.

I like terse opening. It should be. The robot's thoughts shouldn't be long and eloquent because that presupposes being able to make sense of the world.

I should guess. Bright, young, tightly-edited, fledgling rookie writer that nobody would confuse for a pro. I'd guess Irami, but I know I didn't do it. I'll go with Fileted.

[ December 05, 2003, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Is anyone else a little awed by the ninety people who sent in excerpts."

As I understand it, that guess-from list also contains the name of anyone who has actually guessed, regardless of whether or not they've submitted anything. Apparently the REAL list is much smaller, but dkw prefers to give us a huge field of blanks as misdirection.

------

As a side note, I feel that Irami's suggestion -- that you spend more time on Tao's growing awareness of the world -- is only useful if you intend to make that a plot point. Otherwise, the mere hint of such a development suffices, as far as I'm concerned, as it would be a distracting digression if it's just an ancillary character trait.

It's possible to say that he becomes aware of masculinity -- if masculinity is something that's particularly relevant to him -- without describing every detail of the process.

[ December 05, 2003, 09:13 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
The close POV at the beginning (which I liked), gets lost in the dialogue.

This definitely feels inspired by anime-- the Oriental names, the cinematic feel. . . maybe just the names.

Although arrival, birth, etc, are all hinted at, we never get to experience just HOW new these things are to Tao. This may just be a shortcoming of having only excerpts-- but he gained knowledge of himself and his surroundings far too quickly for my taste.

How did he know he was masculine, and the voice feminine?

It is a bit too simple, IMO to just throw out, 'His sense of identity coalesced still further. . .' Cheating! howls I.

Da_Goat?

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

No to everybody.

Only about a third of the people on the list actually submitted something. I'm thinking of pruning it for the next round. (Hear that, slackers? Get your submission in now or you're off the list!)

rivka
Member # 4859

Erm, dkw, have you sent out confirmation emails to everyone who submitted excerpts?

Ok, going on the theory that the author is male, intelligent, and deliberately using red-herring elements, I guess Papa Moose.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll guess Kama for no other reason than she's been in the Hatrack news a lot recently.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
It reads a bit like an anime` feature. It just doesn't grab me in the least, it's just kind of cold and plastic feeling. Of course, that could very well be the intent of the writer.

While I have no idea who wrote it, I'm going to randomly pick the most Japanese sounding name that hasn't been picked yet...

Teshi

And for some reason, my name's not on the choose from list.

[ December 05, 2003, 04:09 PM: Message edited by: Sopwith ]

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

I too am going to go with my instincts and say this sounds very much like a young male. . .

Shlomo.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

Continuing with the general theme of intelligent males, I'll guess sndrake. This is and excellant piece.
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
you know I liked all of Tom Davidson's logic, but I'm guessing he guessed the wrong female because the answer is under his nose.

Christy

[Big Grin]
AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

nope
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm. Well, going with an Asian-sounding name, I'll say Ryuko. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tristan
Member # 1670

Hopping and crouching. Sounds like a kangaroo to me.

Scythrop.

dkw
Member # 3264

No.
Tristan
Member # 1670

Based on her many posts in this thread:

Rivka.

Where's Jeni when you need her?

Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, since you called... [Wink]

I think I saw someone else mention this, but the selection does look overedited to me. I can't place why exactly. Something about the punctuation, maybe. Or the word coalesced, which doesn't really seem very natural to me.

The other thing that bothered me about this was the use of the word texture. I understand what the author means, but it just doesn't sound like the right word to me.

Oh, and I had to read "hopped into a crouch" a couple times before I realized what the author was saying. Probably my fault, though.

Edit: I forgot to guess. [Smile] Sorry, but I don't think I'll be much help with moving this game along. Every name I looked at on the list left me saying "nah... doesn't sound like them." I'll go with Gottmordor, mostly because I don't know his style enough to say it's not him.

[ December 06, 2003, 11:00 PM: Message edited by: Jeni ]

Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

On the same line of thinking as before, Pat?
Julie
Member # 5580

I don't have the energy to make another guess. So I'll look at the list of people not guessed yet, pick someone randomly, and then come up with a rationale:
I'll guess solo because it sounds like a male author and because this character seems to be alone since there's no one else in the room. (Get it, solo, alone?)

Scott R
Member # 567

At this point, we're just guessing blindly.

And I'm guessing CalvinMaker.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I guess you should just tell us!!!

Yikes! [Wall Bash]

dkw
Member # 3264

No to everyone.

My computer is broken, so I probably won't be posting much for a couple days. If no one's got it by the next time I log on, I'll give hints.

Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I wrote it and then forgot all about it.
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
:Locke
Member # 2255

- posted      Profile for :Locke   Email :Locke         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess dkw. Just because.
Posts: 1744 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

She already said it was not hers. [Smile]

Ok, intelligent, writes well, and not guessed yet. [Big Grin] pooka?

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing Brinestone, because if it was then he did some masterful misdirection.

Plus, according to his profile, he's an editor. This piece seems like something an editor (or if not, someone who has been edited a lot of times) would write: it is pared down, and each word (with perhaps, the exception of crot - i mean, crouch) has been chosen carefully.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Uh, just so you know: Brinestone is female. I wouldn't have married her if she were a guy.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

Oops.

Sorry Brinestone (and Jon Boy indirectly) - mind you, if you guys really wanted it to be clear, you could be Jon Girl instead. Or Brinestone Girl.

I considered editing my post, but I think I'll let it stand.
[Smile]

My guess also still stands.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Good idea, Imogen Girl.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

You know, if I stare at the word Girl for too long, it starts to look really weird.

Edit: I just realised I have absolutely no excuse. I saw a photo on foobonic of you two at your wedding. Not only is Brinestone definately a woman but she's a very pretty one at that!

[ December 08, 2003, 10:27 PM: Message edited by: imogen ]

rivka
Member # 4859

Someone who earlier today was mistaken for a member of the opposite gender perhaps ought not throw stones, imogina. [Big Grin]
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.