FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » LOTR A Character Study: Orcs in General

Author Topic: LOTR A Character Study: Orcs in General
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
Are orcs truly evil? Or are they just people enslaved and enamored in modern technology slaves to its will, unable to break out because of the fact that they are in fear, awe, and wonder of modern machinery? Just a question.
Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
[Roll Eyes]

I...must...hijack thread...to talk about...hot LotR guys... [Big Grin]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
From what I understand, Morgoth twisted and changed the elves in the dark ages of the world, so I'm guessing that when that happened, he made them actually evil, hating themselves and anything of beauty and peace. So, yeah, actually evil. He probably also engineered them to be easy to control, as well.

[ December 03, 2003, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: Book ]

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
Lurtz from FOTR was a hunky guy. Tall, dark mysterious, sort of a bad boy image. With the right girl to change him I am sure he would be quite a catch. [Razz]

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe Orcs are evil twisted versions of elves, like Trolls are evil twisted versions of ents.

(dang, book beat me to it...)

[ December 03, 2003, 01:32 PM: Message edited by: Eruve Nandiriel ]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raphael
Member # 5870

- posted      Profile for raphael   Email raphael         Edit/Delete Post 
i read somewhere in TTT that trolls were maid sort of like ents (a weird copy of them ) and orcs are supposed to be like elves.
I realy liked the orsa in TTT. some of them were sooo cool.

Posts: 109 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raphael
Member # 5870

sheesh , you guys type too fast
Posts: 109 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
I was under the impression that something had been "done" to elves - genetic manipulation? to turn them into orcs. Arwen's mother had been captured and "tormented" by orcs, and I always interpreted that as rape.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raphael
Member # 5870

are orcs born from the earth?
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

I don't think so. As far as I know, they are bred. (quite a scary thought, really [Angst] )
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew about Morgoth, AKA Melkor, but I was thinking aybe they are a a symbol of the masses?
Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Orcs, Trolls, Ents, Goblins, Uruk-Hai are all NOT created from the earth.

They are all products of a computer similated world known as "Middle Earth" designed to turn an ordinary stream of 1's and 0's into what you see on the screen.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

[Laugh] T
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
Some years back I bought a review book called Master of Middle-Earth about all of Tolkien's work. The author (whoever he was) argued from the nature of Tolkien's cosmology that Tolkien wasn't trying to portray orcs as inherently evil. ("Nothing is evil in the beginning...even Sauron was not so.") Unfortunately, I don't have the book around anymore and don't remember much of his arguments. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

Yeah. The basic idea is that nothing is truly evil until pride and force of will makes it so. Then there's no turning back. I can't really see an orc saint, they're practically animals.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I was also under the impression that elves had been tortured and 'changed' into orcs a while ago (sorry about the vague time period).

I have a friend who thinks 'the little blue orc' is cute. I'm sure there's some good in the orcs somewhere...

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
At one point there was a movement to label Tolkien Racist. After all, there are the inherently EVIL races and the inherently GOOD ones, and the JUST GREEDY Dwarves.

While Race and lineange play an important role in the books, I believe that personal choice and moral choice define who is evil and who is good.

Why are there no "Good" Orcs? Because their social structure would have ensured they died very young.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

So...why don't the elves or somebody kidnap young orcs and raise them?
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

Yeah, I say the touch of a rogue and thoroughly evil god defeats environment as far as being evil goes. Orcs in therapy doesn't mean progress as much as it does a bunch of digested psychiatrists.

[ December 03, 2003, 04:59 PM: Message edited by: Book ]

Maccabeus
Member # 3051

That's a really funny image, now that I think about it. We need some Uruk-Haiku about it.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Book, there are some things even Orcs won't eat.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

Well, all I have to say is that Frasier Crane is probably really tender. With the proper seasoning, of course.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.