FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Firday Afternoon - Perfect Time for a Test (Page 0)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Firday Afternoon - Perfect Time for a Test
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
DID YOU GOOGLE or did you come up with that your self m^2???
[Big Grin]
AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
I sinned greatly against the evil one.
Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wall Bash] After a whole year of bio I didn't get that? [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash]
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked Pirates of the Carribean better. Body? How about Nucleus or Genome? Of course, I still haven't seen Pirates of the Carribean. If this doesn't utterly expose me, I don't know what else can. I never meant to be a mystery, but everyone kept saying I was T...
Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure it's Firday afternoon?

I thought it was "Fur"day...

(NOTE: It's getting cold outside...)

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I suspected T at first, but then I realize that T can't spell or punctuate as well as you can. Also, he probably doesn't know what a dialectician is.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
Did not google it, but something in what you posted made my mind move in a different direction and it came to me.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

Ah, well sorry about that Jon. That my have seemed like a deliberate clue to some. But I've been at it longer.
peter the bookie
Member # 3270

- posted      Profile for peter the bookie           Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't think you were T because you were posting when he was in class. I knew you had to be a lunatic to have gone to the trouble of 2 different email addresses in your profile (neither of which I recognized). I didn't connect the instant dislike until this thread.

Are you going to leave the rest of them guessing or just come out with it, mischievous spirit?

Posts: 318 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

Is it Pat, or Trogodor the Burniator?

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peter the bookie
Member # 3270

It's not Pat. Pat would have picked a better name.
Posts: 318 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

Okay, here's some more from my lady party:

12 J. on the S. C.
88 K. on a P.
32 T. in an A. M.
76 T. in the B.P.
1001 T. in the A.K.
4 Q. in a G.
9 C. in the F. of the R.
40 D. of the G. F.

Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

My picture is on Foobonic, for this ID and my main ID. Though they are different pictures. I know there are a lot of Asians on Hatrack, but come on. It's apparent no one else remembers the time I whistled your Pirate ID. I really am sorry. (Edit to take out qualification on apology)

[ December 05, 2003, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: Trisha the Severe Hottie ]

msquared
Member # 4484

12 Judges on the Supreme Court
88 Keys on a Piano
32 Teeth in an Adault Mouth
76 Trombones in the Big Parade
4 Quarters in a Game
9 Charatcter in the Fellowship of the Rring
40 Day of the Great Flood

[ December 05, 2003, 03:59 PM: Message edited by: msquared ]

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
These are the ones I got...

24 Hours in a Day
26 Letters of the Alphabet
7 Days of the Week
7 Wonders of the World
12 Signs of the Zodiac
5 Toes on a Foot
90 Degrees in a Right Angle
3 Wheels on a Tricycle
12 Months in a Year
29 Days in February in a Leap Year
365 Days in a Year
13 Loaves in a Baker's Dozen
52 Weeks in a Year
9 Lives of a Cat
60 Minutes in a Hour
1000 Years in a Millenium

EDIT: I guessed that 9 P in SA was South Africa or Saudi Arabia but didn't have a clue what nine things there were!

[ December 05, 2003, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
12 J. on the S. C.
12 justices on the supreme court

88 K. on a P.
88 keys on a piano

32 T. in an A. M.

76 T. in the B.P.

1001 T. in the A.K.

4 Q. in a G.
4 quarts in a gallon

9 C. in the F. of the R.

40 D. of the G. F

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

Characters, companions same diff. What's a Gam?
zgator
Member # 3833

1001 tales in the arabian nights?
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peter the bookie
Member # 3270

Yeah, and this is 2. Want I should send you a list of things I want so you can keep them all from me in a more organized fashion than your current random one?
msquared
Member # 4484

I tried that but it says

1001 T in the A K not A N.

Unless they are spelling nights Knights.

msquared

Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

oops

[ December 05, 2003, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: Trisha the Severe Hottie ]

Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

Oh dear. Now zgator is going to eat me for lunch.
peter the bookie
Member # 3270

Like 90% of your posts, I failed to comprehend that one completely. But thanks, I've gone out of my way to not name you, so thanks for naming me.
zgator
Member # 3833

[Razz]

I think I might know who you are.

zgator
Member # 3833

My head is starting to hurt. Now I'm not sure who peter is.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

*pat pat* Poor Zan. All this thinking must be hard.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
32 Teeth in an Adault Mouth
I only have 26! 4 would be wisdom teeth I guess (which I haven't gotten and hope I won't), but I am still 2 short.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

Oh... :light slowly flickers on: now I remember the second thing. But I wasn't sorry about that. I mean, the one thing was just a kneejerk reaction. I stayed up until 2:30 doing the other thing.
peter the bookie
Member # 3270

Yeah, I knew it was the day, but some of us sleep. So it was intentional? Did you know I wanted it?
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

not consciously, though I had seen an exchange on the Jatraquero thread where someone wrote something and then deleted it later. Edit: based on that exchange, I would have thought you didn't want it but I guess it could be interpreted as a desire for secrecy. But really I wasn't thinking about anything but having an even number myself.

I've wanted it ever since Jon aced me out on #5000. I have to say, it wasn't nearly as fun sneaking in and doing it at night versus a straight race.

[ December 05, 2003, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: Trisha the Severe Hottie ]

zgator
Member # 3833

Don't you need to go kill something peter?
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

Solo, how does 26 teeth divide up? 13 and 13 or 14 and 12?
peter the bookie
Member # 3270

Yes, Zan, would you like a cookie? I made them myself.
zgator
Member # 3833

I always thought peter was Belle. For some reason, I was thinking she must have given it to Ruth.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

No, she gave Mr. Virgin Lips to Ruth, who gave it back to me.
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
solo, do you actually not have wisdom teeth, or have they not broken the surface of your gums?

Can you not have wisdom teeth? [Confused]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

so the two we still need are
quote:
76 T. in the B.P.
1001 T. in the A.K.

are there any others that are incorrect?

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

1001 termites in the animal kingom?
76 tables in the britsh parliment?

solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
I have 12 teeth on the top and 14 on the bottom. Also, as of my last dentist visit (which would have been when I was about 21 or 22) I had no wisdom teeth showing up on X-Rays. I was told that it is rare, but possible, to not have wisdom teeth.

Edit to add:

I don't have any room on my gums for more teeth on either the top or the bottom so if wisdom teeth are coming they are going to be very painful and will most likely need to be pulled.

[ December 05, 2003, 05:07 PM: Message edited by: solo ]

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I suspected T at first, but then I realize that T can't spell or punctuate as well as you can. Also, he probably doesn't know what a dialectician is.

Screw you, Jon.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

It is Arabian Knights, not Arabian Nights. If that's the answer anyway.
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I'm fairly sure it's Arabian Nights. "Nights" is referring to the nights Scherezade(sp?) spent entertaining the high muckety muck so he wouldn't kill her, thus stalling until such time that some hero-like dude could come rescue her. Or something.
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

We did one of these in 7th grade and were surprised when our answer was supposed to be Arabian Knights. But it could have been something else.
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe whoever made up the test made a mistake. Or got the title from something other than the story about Scherezade...
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

quote:
Oh dear. Now zgator is going to eat me for lunch.
this is Hottiespeak for "you're right, it should be an N and not a K". I guess peter was right about my posts being 90% incomprehensible.
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

I'm sorry, but what did you just post? I saw only "blah blah blah blahblah peter blablahblabblah incomprehensible."
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
She's saying that after accusing zgator of having some mis-spelled clues, she had a mis-spelled clue in her contribution. So the answer is 1001 Tales in the Arabian Nights. The Arabic "Alf Leila wa Leil" means "A thousand nights and a night".

Though that's not entirely accurate either. Scherazade's strategy was to bridge each night with a really long story. Some of the Tales went on for weeks. As long as she didn't finish a story, her husband would commute her execution.

By the end of the 1001 nights, they had three children anyway and he decided maybe women weren't all bad after all. I forget the story when he decided he would marry a different woman every day and then kill her in the morning.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

Yeah! I think Scherezade was the first inventor of the cliffhanger! And her husband (a sultan or an emperor or an Ayatollah or somebody) would delay killing her because he wanted to hear how the cliffhanger ended...
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

The way I recall it, the husband goes on journey with a buddy of his. They meet a Genie who keeps a lady hostage. The lady plays some music to put the Genie to sleep, then "converses" with the men. They are so disgusted with her duplicity, one swears off women altogether, the other merely decides on the plan of marrying a new woman everyday, then having her executed. Pretty creepy. Though I think there is more to it than that.

[ December 06, 2003, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: Trisha the Severe Hottie ]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, the sultan's first wife was an adulteress, so he stopped trusting women.
From here:
quote:
Now the Sultan Schahriar had a wife whom he loved more than all the world, and his greatest happiness was to surround her with splendour, and to give her the finest dresses and the most beautiful jewels. It was therefore with the deepest shame and sorrow that he accidentally discovered, after several years, that she had deceived him completely, and her whole conduct turned out to have been so bad, that he felt himself obliged to carry out the law of the land, and order the grand-vizir to put her to death. The blow was so heavy that his mind almost gave way, and he declared that he was quite sure that at bottom all women were as wicked as the sultana, if you could only find them out, and that the fewer the world contained the better. So every evening he married a fresh wife and had her strangled the following morning before the grand-vizir, whose duty it was to provide these unhappy brides for the Sultan. The poor man fulfilled his task with reluctance, but there was no escape, and every day saw a girl married and a wife dead.

Hmm, I remember a far more specific version, where he finds her with another man. Ah, the older translation has it:
quote:
But when the night was half-spent he bethought him that he had forgotten in his palace somewhat which he should have brought with him, so he returned privily and entered his apartments, where he found the Queen, his wife, asleep on his own carpet bed embracing with both arms a black cook of loathsome aspect and foul with kitchen grease and grime. When he saw this the world waxed black before his sight and he said: "If such case happen while I am yet within sight of the city, what will be the doings of this damned whore during my long absence at my brother's court?" So he drew his scimitar, and cutting the two in four pieces with a single blow, left them on the carpet and returned presently to his camp without letting anyone know of what had happened. Then he gave orders for immediate departure and set out at once and began his travel; but he could not help thinking over his wife's treason, and he kept ever saying to himself: "How could she do this deed by me? How could she work her own death?" till excessive grief seized him, his color changed to yellow, his body waxed weak, and he was threatened with a dangerous malady, such a one as bringeth men to die.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.