FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Not as bad as made out to be (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Not as bad as made out to be
Weltallz
Member # 5649

- posted      Profile for Weltallz           Edit/Delete Post 
Im in the middle of writing an essay and I need an example of a situation that was not as bad as it was made out to be. I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out. Thanks

[ December 11, 2003, 01:09 AM: Message edited by: Weltallz ]

Posts: 17 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Um. Hm... One time for an audition the excerpt listed only listed one measure; so I practiced from the beginning of the piece to the end of that measure. On the day of the audition, I was informed that it was actually from that measure to the end. It would have been funny, if you hadn't been me, which, unfortunately, I was. But it was okay, I played it anyway and I got in. Ta daa, that's really all I got off the top of my head.

[ December 11, 2003, 01:04 AM: Message edited by: Book ]

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Weltallz
Member # 5649

- posted      Profile for Weltallz           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for the title error. It should be "Not as bad as made out to be" [Smile]
Posts: 17 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, originally I thought it was going to be about the mafia.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Any situation described by a child between the ages of 5 and 10 as being "HORRIBLE!" [Wink]

BTW, Welltalz, you can edit the title by clicking on the paper/pencil icon on top of your first post. [Smile]

[ December 11, 2003, 01:09 AM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
You can change it by editing your message, if you like.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
One time I was getting married and I was a hour late to the ceremony and the groom (and most of the guests) thought I was leaving him at the altar.

I wasn't, though.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Giving blood.

And Mexican street food. Not bad at all, really.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

and making out.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frameshifter
Member # 2967

- posted      Profile for Frameshifter           Edit/Delete Post 
the goto statement, as it does have its uses.
Posts: 87 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
. . . few and far between though they may be.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say it really depends on who you're making out with.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Ralphie's probably right. Like Tony Curtis said about Marilyn Monroe, "It was like kissing Hitler."

Edit: ack! Why did I attribute that quote to the director and not the actor?

[ December 11, 2003, 02:28 AM: Message edited by: Bob the Lawyer ]

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
She had a scratchy mustache?
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I think it may have been the shiny black boots.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Annie-I used to take blood for the Red Cross, and I'm glad you had a good experience-but not everyone is as fortunate-I've seen some scary stuff happen.....
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but don't you get a free cookie?
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

For some people, it's not worth it, even for a cookie.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

I will add-getting my wisdom teeth out-that was a piece of cake!
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
Y2K.
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to say Y2K. *pout*
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Mrs. M, oh, you're kidding. That's a great story. My brothers have informed me the next time I get engaged they are starting a betting pool of whether the wedding will actually happen or not. I have this vision of being late and my middle brother looking smug. *laugh*
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Mrs. M--"One time I was getting married..."? How many times have you gotten married?

Top 10 Things not as bad as they are made out to be....

10) Being Ralphie's Minion
9) Bob_S's humor
8) Mack's backhanded slap. (Gotta watch her forhand though)
7) The Spanish American War
6) Saddam Husseins Stockpile of WMD
5) Bill Clinton's sex life.
4) Jai Lai
3) Jar Jar Binks. Really, he's much worse.
2) Fruitcake

And the top thing that is not as bad as its made out to be......

1) Death.

Trust me. Go ahead, and if you don't like it, you can always try to exchange it.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
For some people, it's not worth it, even for a cookie.
Not even for a cookie?! What's wrong with those people?
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
in every grade i was ever in in school, the teachers alwasy referred to the grade above it as being the strict adult community.

"you might think you can get away with that here, but when you get to the fourth grade, that wont fly."

after careful examination, ive decided that every single one of them, even during senior year when reference was made to this amorphous 'real world' are completely full of shit.

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

odouls, I can completely picture you being the object of desperate hope that someone, somewhere will finally not stand for it, but it won't them, not that day. [Razz]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

true story

[Big Grin]

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a response to this question which I believe I could pull off without offending anybody if this were a spoken medium, but being that print is stuck on the page for ever and ever, and being that I can't convey the amount of sheer sarcasm required to make this joke work, I won't even try. But you could probably guess what I was going to say, and if you do, please know that I mean it purely as a joke. And not even a plain joke. As an ironic joke. A meta-joke, if you will.
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I want to hear the meta-joke
odouls268
Member # 2145

jehvoid, i dont know wha tyoure talking about. email me.

djtree@email.com

Ralphie
Member # 1565

quote:
I have a response to this question which I believe I could pull off without offending anybody if this were a spoken medium, but being that print is stuck on the page for ever and ever, and being that I can't convey the amount of sheer sarcasm required to make this joke work, I won't even try. But you could probably guess what I was going to say, and if you do, please know that I mean it purely as a joke. And not even a plain joke. As an ironic joke. A meta-joke, if you will.
I... I love you, Jeffrey.

Say your joke. Ralphie's not gonna let anybody hurt you.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

Odouls, I emailed it to you. It's in your hands now.
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I don't give blood for the free cookies and juice, although they're very nice.

I do it for the free movie ticket. [Big Grin]

odouls268
Member # 2145

G O O

::runs to take shower::

[Eek!]

asQmh
Member # 4590

- posted      Profile for asQmh   Email asQmh         Edit/Delete Post 
How 'bout communism? It's certainly not perfect. And not even good government-wise, or outside the theoretical realm, but it's far from satanic -- which is the way it was often made out to be. ::thinks of Senator McCarthy:: I

Q.

[ December 11, 2003, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: asQmh ]

Posts: 499 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

dave! What was that??
odouls268
Member # 2145

ask jehvoid.

by the way j, your homepage is down.

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Mrs. M--"One time I was getting married..."? How many times have you gotten married?
Just the once.
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

Oh. Yeah, I think it dies if I don't feed it for a certain period of time. Needless to say, I've neglected it for awhile.
katharina
Member # 827

Um, never mind. [Smile] It must be awful.
odouls268
Member # 2145

haha giving me the willies alone categorizes it as awful.

[Razz]

Ralphie
Member # 1565

Of course, this makes me have to know.

dandadodge@comcast.net

jehovoid
Member # 2014

If after reading my post you say to yourself,

"No, he couldn't mean-- Oh that's awful! No, it can't possibly be that!"

Then you've probably guessed it. The real trick is to get you to think of it on your own so that I don't end up looking like the only sicko here.

Ralphie
Member # 1565

I would never think of such a thing, you sick bastard*.

(*I thought of it.)

Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Something that wasn't as bad as it seemed, eh?

*ponders*

Warning... Possible squiky-ness ahead...

When I was at l'Arche, there was a woman who had a direct feeding tube to her stomach. She has a great spirit, but is extremely disabled, to the point where we need to do pretty much everything for her. There was the food bag, the tube, and the valve, which was flush against her skin. The valve was/is held to the skin by means of a small silicone ballon filled with water on the inside of the stomach wall. And each week we had to test to see if there was enough water in the balloon, since if the valve came off, it would need to be replaced, and you need to be certified to do the replacement. I was not.

So one night I got all ready to do the balloon check, and the syringe we used to check the water got stuck a bit, and the balloon valve, keeping the water in, popped off. And all the water came out. And the valve was broken, with no water in it, and no one available to replace it. If the valve comes out, it's bad, since there is then an open hole directly to the stomach.

So we stood there for an hour, us three assistants, and this poor woman laying on her bed, who was getting ready for bed after a bad day. We had to wait an hour before a community nurse who knew what to do could make it out. Then she got there, and it was a matter of a minute and a half to replace the valve. After all that build up, I expected more. But no. Oh well, it all turned out right in the end.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Of course, this makes me have to know.
Me too, me too!
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

Well, maybe my answer isn't as bad as I'm making it out to be, so I'll just say it.

The holocaust.

Okay, so maybe I'm wrong on this one. That is a pretty bad answer. It was funny though, for about the split second after I read the question and it popped into my head. Maybe I have to go back and reread all those old threads about offensive humor. On second thought, I seem to have mastered the subject pretty well.

IdemosthenesI
Member # 862

- posted      Profile for IdemosthenesI   Email IdemosthenesI         Edit/Delete Post 
Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ"

Though obviously I can't say for sure, not having seen it yet.

Posts: 894 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't give blood for the free cookies and juice, although they're very nice.

I do it for the free movie ticket.

If you're serious, I'm jealous ! Here you can have as much food you want, but no movie tickets !
Well, anyway, I really hate stings (you should see me at the moment the nurse tells me to take a deep breathe... White as paper !) but I gave my blood since I was 18, and my plasma too, 19 times if you count blood and plasma gifts.
But it's really egoistic because it makes me feel a good person [Big Grin]

[ December 12, 2003, 01:25 PM: Message edited by: Anna ]

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

Episode 1
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.