FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Hug Thread v2.0.1.7b (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Hug Thread v2.0.1.7b
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
*cough*
Could we go back to the hug thread please ? I mean, if you want to fight, there are others area for that.
(I hope I'm not being offensive saying that.)

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose if you dishonestly and deliberately take it out of context like that, sure.

But if you put it back in line with the preceeding five or six posts of mine, you'll realize that I wasn't being at all serious at the time. Would you like me to put a smilie in the post so you know when I'm kidding?

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

*big cough*
DOES SOMEONE HEAR ME?

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Anna, for some reason, Eddie and I only fight in the forum. We're really friends, but if we don't keep up the façade, people will start rumors concerning the intimacy of our friendship.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

I don't care about you fighting, I care about you fighting here. Why don't you do a fighting thread ?
Anna
Member # 2582

Hey, I've past my 1000th post and didn't notice !
Wow... [Smile]

Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I suppose if you dishonestly and deliberately take it out of context like that, sure.

But if you put it back in line with the preceeding five or six posts of mine, you'll realize that I wasn't being at all serious at the time. Would you like me to put a smilie in the post so you know when I'm kidding?

Out of context? That's the full content of your past two posts, at least as it pertains to me.

• Your post before that was to remind Fugu that his transference was showing.
  • Your post before that was to remind Fugu that he doesn't know what humor is, even if it came in the form of a rake.
  • Your post before that was to suggest an E-Bay purchase of a hypnosis CD.
  • Your post before that was to complain that you "see David's and Eddie's posts going unchecked," another charge at which I take offense. I may be a jackass on days that end with y, but I'm at least a charming one. And I like to believe I'm more intellectually honest and open that Bowles has been for the past year or two. Of course, you told me in AIM that you didn't mean to compare me to Bowles, only to Odouls -- my sense of offense is not relieved.
  • Your post before that was the thread Ela and Mac were complaining about.
Now, I realize you were making a Funny with your original post, and I think Mack and Ela's complaints are more than a little ridiculous -- not to mention indicative of their own dirty minds.
Dirty dirty dirty! I'd suggest they need a spanking for being bad girls, but then, I don't want to give you any more ideas of my supposed sexual deviance.

I know you're joking, especially in this thread, but other people may not. Is it to much to ask that you clarify to our less intelligent viewers that, despite initial impressions, I'm not a sexual deviant or abuser of women?

By the way, Mac, Ela, Fugu -- really, jesus, get your minds out of the gutter. Heh. I mean, finding dirtiness in that innocent cartoon really stretches (pun intended) the definition of dirty.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

I think we did do a fighting thread.

I won.

I also kicked Toni's ass.

(The key is to suggest they all have small penii. Toni's especially enraged by suggestions that her manhood's less impressive than her husband's.)

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe it was the cartoon they were bothered by. It's been shown here before, I think.

Now, congratulations, Anna!

That deserves a hug.

{{Anna}}

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

Pff. Were they bothered by vulva? I mean, there are so many other words Frisco could have used in its place if he really meant to offend -- not to mention, it's actually a pretty clever reference back to Jenny Gardener's thread complaining how vulva is a less acceptable word than penis.

If it takes that little to get these people's dander up, I can't imagine how they'd survive in the modern world.

Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
Jenny's thread was a direct response to THIS thread. Actually.
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

And wasn't her thread complaining about the ridiculousness of taking offense at the word vulva?

I remain curiously unmoved for poor Fugu, Mac, and Ela's plights.

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
It isn't plight. I was objecting to the use of the word vulva accompanied by the ASCII art. No one has yet to provide ASCII art depicting a penis. I suppose we're allowed to, then. It's like the difference between an R movie and an NC-17 movie. Nudity above the waist=R. Nudity on the backside=R. Nudity in the front, below the waist=NC-17. Bums and breasts=R. Penises and vulvas=NC-17. I might be wrong about how they're categorized.

I do not object to the use of scientific words used in the proper context. I mean, come ON. There's a difference between explaining why someone would have an inverted penis over shouting "PENIS!" in a crowded area. One is considered normal context, the other is rude.

And I wasn't objecting to the pic. That was funny. [Big Grin]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
VULVA VULVA VULVA! PENIS PENIS SCROTUM!
I think what you meant was:

code:
while(1) {
for(1 to 3) {
for(1 to 12) {
penis;
}
SCRO-TUM; SCRO-TUM;
}
for(1 to 12) {
penis;
}
argh it's a mons! mons! mooons! oh, it's a mons!;
}

[ December 15, 2003, 11:11 AM: Message edited by: Richard Berg ]

Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
Befor I start, I know I'll probably offend some people: I'm sorry, I just need to get this out of my mind, and posting is the only way I can see how to do it.

Bernard posted this new hug thread because he was very stressed out about finals and needed a hug badly, but due to time constraints, he did not have time to find the hug thread, which at that time had fallen back a few pages. Unfortunately, it has taken quite a turn for the worse, and is no longer a hug thread, but something else entirely.

Personally, I do not have a problem with someone posting/saying his/her opinion on Hatrack or in the chats. However, I think some of the things said on this hug thread were inappropriate, and it has upset both Bernard and I greatly to see how much something that started out innocently has deteriorated. This discussion should have taken place on a diffrent thread, or in the chats.

Compared to most of you who have posted here, I am relatively new, and I don't post near as often as y'all do. However, I do know this: When a hug thread can no longer function as such, it is very sad indeed.

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

MaydayDesiax, I totally agree with you. I find pathetic the way the HUG thread turned. I know it's very egoistic, but I'm having a rough time too (read page one) and these little fights don't amuse me.
Plus, this is a familial board, isn't it?

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"When a hug thread can no longer function as such, it is very sad indeed."

Um....Okay.
I'm just going to bite my tongue and nod.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom: I like you and I respect you a lot, but if you don't have something constructive, please don't say it.
Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Anna, are you going to do separate landmark? You could just move your post over to that. I'm sorry for the part I played in the weirdness of this thread. So I hope this doesn't sound like I'm saying you should just move your post. I'm trying to say this thread isn't worthy of your post.

Mack, didn't you read This town ain't big enough....

[ December 15, 2003, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, okay, my constructive thing to say is this:

It's one thing to need an imaginary hug; I can understand and respect that need, and have created a few threads myself in the past when I've needed sympathy. It's another thing to expect that your need for an imaginary hug -- especially once it's apparently been satisfied by a whole page of parentheses and brackets -- can determine the behavior of other people on this forum who do not share your reference for the parenthesis.

I do not venerate hug threads. Frankly, I find them pointless, and the idea of a hug thread which "does not function as such" is in fact a thought I find cheerful and uplifting.

I respect the fact that other people DO think of hug threads as a form of personal validation, and for this reason generally refrain from criticizing them (or posting in 'em), but do not believe that merely identifying a thread as a "hug thread" somehow entitles the creator to dictate the terms of his thread for perpetuity.

Seriously, Bernard, I'm glad you asked for hugs when you needed them, and I'm glad you got 'em back.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
(((((Mayday))))) (((((Anna))))) (((((Bernard)))))
I totally agree! If this were a thread I had started, I would be sorely tempted to delete it.

Tom, the beauty of biting one's tongue is that one CANNOT SPEAK while doing so.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be constructive in Tom's place: in most places and most times, I'd rather have a badger than a hug. Unless the hugger is particularly soft and cuddly. Like a badger.

Edit: great, beaten to the punch. Anna, what fights?

[ December 15, 2003, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: Richard Berg ]

Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

I pasted-copied my post on the other hug thread.
I don't blame anyone, I'm just feeling sad, because of all these fights and vulgarity on a thread which should be constructed by love. But Tom is right, I cannot force anyone to stop walking on my feelings or coming in a place to say things that are not appropriated in this place.

[ December 15, 2003, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: Anna ]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Richard, out of curiosity, do you also like you hugs to have sharp teeth and nasty breath?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
I think people are taking the sanctity of "hug" threads way too seriously. Threads get derailed all the time at Hatrack, and this was at least an interesting, coherent derailment on a thread that had ceased to serve any purpose.

And for the love of PETE, how many of these hug threads to we really need? Can we try to fit five more on the first page?

Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

We could have just one hug thread if some people were'nt fighting in the one I chose [Big Grin]
Richard Berg
Member # 133

I intentionally draw the line before kisses.

(in case people still have no idea what my last 3 posts have been about)

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, for crying out loud.

The avoid-a-hug sketch is funny. The gratuitous use of biological terms is tacky. The over-sensitivity is ubiquitous.

Edit: Oops. I didn't see the second page. This is in response to Frisco's last post.

Bernard, I'm glad you got a hug. They can be wonderful. [Smile]

I think the thread derailment is par for Hatrack, and no thread is sacred, except for landmarks.

[ December 15, 2003, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

Maybe I'm over-sensitive (and at this time I know I am but I have good reasons for that) but to me the hug threads are like a game with simple rules : if you're here, you need comfort or you want to give some. If you're out of the rules, you should be out of the thread. It's easy, isn't it ?
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Anna, there's the main hug thread for that. The other, extra ones are part of the Hatrack conversation and subject to derailment.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
((poor misunderstood words))

((female anatomy))

((silly people))

((people who take themselves so seriously))

((Tom, who managed to escape getting hugged even after entering a hug thread))

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Which parts of the female anatomy are you hugging up there, Jenny? [Wink]
Anna
Member # 2582

quote:
Anna, there's the main hug thread for that.
Since the main hug thread was on the second or third page, I though this was the new official hug thread. My mistake. [Big Grin]
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Oops! [Blushing] Didn't think about how that could be taken out of context!

I meant the whole concept in general, since the poor parts are so unlovely in conversation. Even the mention in scientific terms is enough to offend some people. It's like being the ugliest person in the room. People stop and stare, blush or giggle, and then shun you. So I was trying to send some love to the general idea of vulva and so on.

But I'm weird that way. I always root for the underdog.

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

You know, I was going to make a joke about "sending love to the vulva," but realized that it didn't actually need to be made. [Smile]
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Tom,
I actually have more respect for when you give your opinion like that than just a "bite my tongue" post, which to me, seems uncooth. I completely respect your opinion, and I see how you can feel the way you do, but for me a :: hugs :: is real, perhaps its because I have a better imagination, or I am better able to put the emotion of a physical hug into a digital one, maybe that's what allows me to keep the same emotional attachments to my friends here, as well as Mayday even though we're physically apart.
Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.